Wikimedia UK v1.0
|This page is kept for historical interest. Any policies mentioned may be obsolete. If you want to revive the topic, you can use the talk page or start a discussion on the community forum.|
|Wikimedia UK v2.0|
|Wikimedia and UK charity law|
|Wikimedia UK v1.0|
|MoA - AoA - Gift aid|
|People - Possible projects|
|Membership of Wikimedia UK|
|Future UK meetups|
An earlier attempt at a UK chapter was set up as Wiki Educational Resources Limited, a company limited by guarantee. On 28 August 2008, it was announced that the Company was to be wound up immediately, as it had not got as far as it had hoped.
- to enable, assist, promote and promulgate wider participation in the creation, dissemination and expansion of information and educational resources covering the world's knowledge and languages to all persons, everywhere;
- to further the development of electronic, printed, and other resources required to support such participation;
- to produce, publish and develop, or cause to be produced, published and developed, information resources, whether in printed, electronic, or other forms;
- to make use of or encourage the use of information resources for the advancement of education;
- to encourage the adoption of practices and policies to widen education, participation and dissemination of information worldwide; and
- to undertake and carry on any other business which may seem to the Company capable of being conveniently carried on in connection with any of the above specified objects, or calculated directly or indirectly to enhance the value of or render profitable any of the Company's property or rights.
The website for the chapter is located at http://www.wikimedia.org.uk/
The chapter's domain, presently registered to James F., is http://wikimedia.org.uk/ and all chapter email and websites are under this domain.
The following domains also exist but are not used nor controlled by the Chapter in any way.
- http://wikipedia.co.uk - owned by Bomis, redirect to the English Wikipedia
- http://wikipedia.org.uk - owned by Chris Brooking, redirect to the English Wikipedia
- http://wikimedia.co.uk - owned by James F., non-responsive on port 80
Note this is for discussion of the Wikimedia in the UK - for general discussion of the English language Wikipedia, see Wikien-l.
People interested in supporting a local chapter
Next meeting (post-incorporation)
EGM in 2008. See also Future UK meetups
Directors meetings: happen regularly, both in person and online.
Past meetings (pre-incorporation)
- 9th October 2005: London
- 16th October 2005: IRC
- 13th November 2005: IRC
- 27th November 2005: London
- 15th January 2006: London
- 29th January 2006: IRC