The steering committee election for the Wikimedia and Libraries User Group will start on the 25 November 2024 amd run until 30 November 2024.
Self-nomination period: 4 October 2024 - 17 November 2024
Vetting period: 18 November 2024 - 24 November 2024
Voting period: 25 November 2024 — 30 November 2024
Results by: 8 December 2024
- The steering committee will contain 6 members so it can effectively make decisions and hold meetings.
- Only Wikimedia and Libraries User Group members are eligible to be nominated. Members may nominate themselves.
- Steering committee members would serve in their personal capacities and not represent the organisations they work for, if any.
- The committee members would serve for a term of one year.
- The position would require an average of 4-6 hours per month and attending a majority of conference calls with the committee. Nominees are strongly urged to consider if they have the time to devote to serving in a steering committee role.
- Conference calls will be held monthly, and will be set once the steering committee membership has been set.
- As part of their self nomination, nominees should indicate what they expect to bring to the steering committee in terms of ideas and aspirations. This includes what they will try to apply inside the steering committee to help the user group be more active, diverse and inclusive. References from previous experiences and readings can be useful to show the practical efficiency of these proposed ideas.
- Once the steering committee is established, members will decide among themselves what roles they each will fill. Roles can be held by multiple steering committee members (it is considered beneficial to have two people in each position).
- Chair/convener: responsible for posting meeting agenda, chairing steering committee meetings
- Secretary: responsible for posting minutes, updating Wiki pages, pinging user group members.
- Social media: responsible for Twitter account, contributing to Facebook Wikimedia + Libraries. Makes sure work of this group and related work is promoted on social media.
- Affcom / Wikimedia representative: responds to requests from Affcom, makes sure reports are drafted and submitted in a timely manner.
- Only the members of the Wikimedia and Libraries User Group are eligible to vote.
- Voters must join the usergroup by 25 October 2024 for their vote to count.
- You can vote support for multiple candidates, but only one vote per candidate. Oppose votes are not allowed, although discussion can happen on the talk page.
I am very happy to nominate Windblown29 for re-election to the steering committee. Windblown29 has proven to be a committed and enthusiastic member of the steering committee who will engage the user group members to better understand their needs and can provide continuity and leadership within the committee. Simon Cobb (Sic19 ; talk page) 12:30, 17 October 2021 (UTC)
I am very happy to nominate Clifford_Anderson for re-election to the steering committee. Clifford_Anderson is a committed member of the steering committee who has shown a willingness to lead on tasks and can draw upon substatial experience as an academic librarian, including the innovative use of Wikimedia projects at Vanderbilt University, to support the user group members to successfully engage with Wikidata and sister projects in their libraries. Simon Cobb (Sic19 ; talk page) 12:30, 17 October 2021 (UTC)
I hereby nominate AfricanLibrarian to be a member of the Steering Committee. AfricanLibrarian is a dedicated and passionate librarian who believes that Wikimedia and libraries have the same default setting - opening up knowledge. I am willing to apply the same energy and mobilization skills that was used in instituting African Librarians Week as part of the global #1lib1ref campaign and the making of Wikipedia in African Libraries course a reality to bear on this task.AfricanLibrarian (talk) 13:48, 2 November 2021 (UTC)
- I'd like to lend my support to AfricanLibrarian's nomination as a member of the Steering Committee. She played a key-role in organizing the first-ever African Librarian's week which has now become a fixture in the May edition of the #1Lib1Ref campaign. Having her on the Steering Committee would give us the benefit of her extensive experience working and organising outreach activities with libraries on the African continent in addition to leveraging her vast network .Need I say she is an excellent mobiliser and strategist too? From my experience with her, I know her as an individual who's open-minded and always on the look-out for opportunities to connect librarians and the Wikimedia movement. AKibombo (talk) 14:11, 24 November 2021 (UTC)
I am delighted to nominate Orlysi for re-election to the Steering Committee. Orlysi is an enthusiastic, experienced, and knowledgeable Wikipedian who also hold positions of senior authority in the world of librarianship and library science. Among other activities, Orlysi has served as a global ambassador of #1Lib1ref and led the #1Lib1ref campaign in Israel in 2018 and 2019. As a member of the Steering Committee, Orlysi plays an invaluable role as advisor, community organizer, and movement strategist. Clifford Anderson (talk) 13:25, 17 November 2021 (UTC)