Wikimedians of Bulgaria/2018
- 1 User Group information
- 2 Contests organization
- 3 Wiki Education
- 4 GLAM and institutional partnerships
- 5 Other public lectures
- 6 Regional cooperation
- 7 Participation in other Wikimedia events
- 8 Media presence
- 9 Plans for 2019
User Group information
As of 21 August 2018, Vassia Atanassova has withdrawn from her role of one of the two signatories of the Wikimedians of Bulgaria User Group. The withdrawal was made with a post to the BG WP Village Pump and the Talk:Wikimedians of Bulgaria and an email to the local community maillist and the Affiliations Committee maillist (confirmation from an AffCom member was obtained on 15 October 2018).
A proposal to close the existing user group due to limited community involvement was not accepted. However, as of 1 December 2018, no replacement has been selected, and Dimitar Dimitrov has remained the only one signatory of the UG.
No particular actions and committments have been taken with respect to opening a new shared bank account for the User Group (after closing the existing one in April 2017), for which reason no project proposals on behalf of the User Group have been made in 2018.
The WikiBotevgrad initiative started in October 2017 and officially completed in the end of May 2018. This was the first Bulgarian WikiTown project. The main person behind the project was Spasimir, occasionally helped by Vassia and other wikimedians. In 2018, the second and the third stages of the project were implemented, with deadlines 3 March (National Liberation Day in Bulgaria) and 24 May (Day of Cyrillic Writing, Education and Culture). For these occasions there were award ceremonies, with small presents for the stage winners, provided by the Botevgrad Municipality (t-shirts, books, badges, stickers, key chains, mugs).
In the end of the project the reported success was the following:
- More than 60 participants
- More than 140 new articles in Bulgarian Wikipedia
- New articles in other languages:
- 10+ in English only
- All together 20+ articles in: French, German, Croatian, Russian, Ukrainian, Romanian, Turkish, Lithuanian, Belarussian, Bahkir, etc.
- More than 1000 uploaded photos and documents
- The complete collection „With a quill and a sword“ by the local poet Stamen Panchev is now available in Wikisource.
- Several trainings were conducted in the local library: for librarians/teachers/municipality/museum staff, and for school students
- One photothon in the museum
- Some lessons learned
- Collaboration with municipality govt. completely differs from GLAM collaborations and grassroot volunteering.
- The project would not be possible without a really dedicated paper in the Municipality’s public relations team.
- The GLAM institutions were our interface and best friends.
- It was very important that we started changing GLAMmers’ perception of Wikipedia, as weel as their perception of volunteering.
- Special case were the librarians, specialized in documenting the local ethnography, who dedicate their time documenting the living memory of elderly local people, but are hard to convert to Wikipedians, since they have no time (and desire) to spend time on learning new technologies. This is a missing link identified between these ethnographers and the wikimedian volunteers.
The project was presented in front of various wiki/external audiences at:
- International Tourist Fair in Sofia, Sofia, 14-16 February 2018
- GLAMTLV2018, Tel Aviv, 3-5 November 2018
- 150 postcards were printed (with own money) to be used for thank-you postcards to the international volunteers who wrote about Wikipedia, and for promotional uses in future.
CEE Spring 2018
This year, CEE Spring 2018 was not proposed by "Wikimedians of Bulgaria" (as in 2016 and 2017), but by an international team of volunteers, one of which the Bulgarian User:Spiritia and the Latvian User:Papuass and the Romanian User:Strainu. Fiscal sponsor of the project was again Wikimedia Austria, represented by the volunteer User:Philip Kopetzky and the staffer User:Annemarie Buchmann (WMAT). The motivation behind this change was in the desire to have the responsibility about the CEE Spring contest shared among more geographically diverse volunteers.
The results of the whole project are still being processed and the report is pending but for Bulgaria the local results are the following:
- 15 participants, of whom 6 women;
- 539 written articles Source: PetScan.
- 10 awards (books only) provided in 5 different categories: "Best new article", "User with most contributed new articles", "User who wrote about the largest number of countries from the CEE region", "User with most contributed volume of information (bytes)", "User with most contributed volume of information (bytes) about women".
- Local organizer: Spasimir
Wikipedia Asian Month 2018
Wikipedia Asian Month is being organized in Bulgaria for the 4th time. The results are the following:
- 14 volunteers
- of whom (at least) 2 women
- 84 new articles Source: tools.wmflabs.org
- Local organizer: Spasimir
- 9 November 2018
- New Bulgarian University
- BG WP Coordination page: bg:У:НБУ18
- University teacher and topic mentor: Justine Toms, wiki mentor: Vassia Atanassova
- Lectures for students in New Bulgarian University, bachelor programs "Journalism", "Online Media and PR" "Marketing". Assignment: At least two articles from a list of topics selected by the teacher. Optional involvement. As of the end of November: 10 involved students, mainly from the OMPR programme
GLAM and institutional partnerships
Trainings of librarians
- In continuation of the collaboration with the "Global Libraries - Bulgaria" Foundation, which started last year, in 2018 GLBF budgeted in their annual plan training sessions in "Media Literacy" (18 hours) and "Contributing e-Content to Wikipedia" (12 hours). 10 out of 27 regional libraries opted for "Contributing e-Content to Wikipedia" and 18 opted for "Media Literacy" (some libraries opted for both trainings). The "Contributing e-Content to Wikipedia" training was provided by Vassia Atanassova, Spasimir Pilev and Plamen Minchev. The "Media Literacy" training (which most of the times contained a segment on Wikipedia) was provided by Justine Toms, Vassia Atanassova and Lyuba Batembergska.
- All the trainings took place in the regional libraries in the country's provincial centres, especially in the computer rooms, equiped by "Global Libraries - Bulgaria" Foundation (10-15 computers each). All the trainings took place in working days: 2 days for Wikipedia, 3 days for Media Literacy.
- About 150 librarians were trained how to edit Wikipedia. The total number of all trained librarians from both courses is about 500.
- About 60 new articles in BG WP were written and about 40 existing ones were edited.
- About 40 uploaded photos, most of them immediately put in use in the articles.
- Deeper contacts were established with librarians and library directors from Lovech, Haskovo, Plovdiv. There are ideas for establishing in 2019 joint projects with the libraries in Lovech and Gabrovo.
- June 2018, CEE Newsletter: Bulgaria report: Providing librarians with trainings in media literacy and Wikipedia
- 17 July 2018, Wikimania Cape Town: "Bulgarian Wikipedians Teaching Librarians in Media Literacy and Wikipedia" (lighning talk, slides)
- 23 October 2018, Jubilee Scientific Conference "Library in / and the city", Sofia City Library Sofia: "Wikipedia + Libraries = ❤" (slides)
- 4 November 2018, Blog.wikimedia.bg: "500 библиотекари от цяла България обучени по медийна грамотност и Уикипедия" (In Bulgarian: "500 librarians from all over Bulgaria trained in media literacy and Wikipedia")
- 8 November 2018, National Forum "Libraries Today 2018: Libraries Today and Digital Transformation", Sofia: "Wikipedia - Good friend of libraries" (slides)
- 10 November 2018, Eastern European Editathon, Goethe Institut - Sofia: "Wikipedia - Good friend of libraries" (slides)
Eastern European Editathon, 10 November
Other public lectures
- 18 June 2018
- American Corner, Sofia City Library, Sofia
- Roundtable "[A2K] Access to Knowledge" (Programme)
- "Wikipedia in Education: Whether, When and How?", Vassia Atanassova
- 28 September 2018
- Regional Historical Museum, Pleven
- Bulgarian: Европейска нощ на учените
- English: European Researchers’ Night
- "The mission of Wikipedia in conservation of cultural heritage", Spasimir Pilev
- 23 October 2018
- American Corner, Sofia City Library, Sofia
- Bulgarian: Юбилейна научна конференция „Библиотеката в / и града”
- English: Jubilee Scientific Conference "Library in / and the city"
- Conference programme
- 3 November 2018
- TechnoPark, Sofia
- OpenFest 2018, Conference programme
- "Creative Commons Workshop" (120 minutes. Topics: What is Creative Commons and how to use it. Where to look for free content, how to publish under a Creative Commons license, and how to correctly attribute a CC licensed work. Demonstration for upload of images to Wikimedia Commons.
- Ana Lazarova, Plamena Popova, Spasimir Pilev (Collaboration with members from Creative Commons Bulgaria and "Digital Republic" NGO)
- 8 November 2018
- Ramada Hotel, Sofia
- Bulgarian: „Национален форум Библиотеките днес 2018: Библиотеките днес и цифровата трансформация“
- English: National Forum "Libraries Today 2018: Libraries Today and Digital Transformation"
- Conference programme
- the Wikimedia CEE Meeting in Lviv: Spiritia, Ilikeliljon, Vodnokon4e.
The presentations of the user group members in the Wikimedia CEE Meeting were:
- Wikimedia CEE Meeting 2018/Programme/Submission/CEEbots coming - how to run a bot and how bots can help all CEE communities – Base, Vodnokon4e (slides)
- Is the CEE Newsletter a dead horse? - Spiritia (lightning talk, slides)
- February 2018: Bulgaria report: The first Bulgarian wikitown presented at an International Tourist Fair in Sofia
- May 2018: Bulgaria report: Editathons in New Bulgarian University and successful end of the WikiBotevgrad initiative
- June 2018: Bulgaria report: Providing librarians with trainings in media literacy and Wikipedia
- December 2018: <TBC>
Participation in other Wikimedia events
Wikimedia Conference - Berlin
Wikimania - Cape Town
- Vodnokon4e (scholarship recipient) - Report
- Spiritia (scholarship recipient) - Report
- Спасимир (scholarship recipient) - Report
GLAM Wiki Conference - Tel Aviv
- Spiritia (scholarship recipient and member of the Programme Committee)
- Justine.toms (scholarship recipient)
- 30-minute lecture: Wikipedia on the Road: Training Librarians in Bulgaria (slides)
Social media activities
- Maintenance of the mailing list and the community blog: Luchesar Iliev