This page is meant to be something like w:en:Wikipedia:Coordination, a coordination space for major requests across projects and themes. If there's an issue you care deeply about that isn't being handled elsewhere (new bug reports and feature requests related to the MediaWiki software which powers Wikimedia projects should be filed to Wikimedia's bugzilla instead), or hasn't been resolved for a while, or requires lots of moving parts to come together, please list it here.
- 1 Please solve ca.wikipedia.org scandal
- 2 Major New Projects
- 3 Collaborations
- 4 Unresolved issues
- 5 Domain name
- 6 Modification to the editing interface
- 7 unification of certain pages and tools
- 8 page that does not exist
- 9 Email failures
- 10 MS Wiki recent changes encounter fatal error.
- 12 Import a gadget from Spanish Wikipedia
- 13 Top page (http://www.wikipedia.org) needs update with a new "1,000,000+" section
- 14 Delete page
- 15 Wikimedia Foundation employee salaries
- 16 Idea: Means to entangle genealogy information into Wikipedia articles
- 17 Idea: Means to entangle semantic web information into Wikipedia articles
- 18 Rule impossible to be fulfilled in the wiki-pt, what to do?
- 19 Unicode normalization for Malayalam text in all Wikimedia projects
- 20 Add a class for narrow tables
- 21 Stop using two dashes for signatures
- 22 Remove all "bots" which welcome users
- 23 Remove Future from message
- 24 Wikipedia suggestions
Please solve ca.wikipedia.org scandal
Major New Projects
See proposals for new projects. Major requests include
- Wikikids - there are some Wikikids projects; see also Wikijunior
- Wikifamily - see WeRelate and Rodovid
- Wikimaps - see Wikimapia and others
- Wikisites - see AboutUs and others
- Wikivideo - something more like a free youtube than commons atm
- Wikihealth - see Medpedia and others
- Wikicite - see Open Library
- Wikitravel - see Wikitravel!
Please add extra Email id which could be owned by clients or users adding data like firstname.lastname@example.org, which is not a free one like that of gmail, yahoo or hotmail,...
- A Swahili wikipedia contest: the Google Swahili Wikipedia Challenge
- An Indian free content collaboration: working with textbook publishers and regions that want to jumpstart their own Wikipedias
major bug reports and features
- Flagged revs on major projects: roadmap? what's the holdup?
- Extending SUL to private wikis
- Incorporating translatewiki as a WMF project: can this happen?
- Incorporating OmegaWiki " " : how can we fix Wiktionary?
- Ditto for Wikiquote, which faces similar issues of granularity and translation
- Resolving 'simple' as an option for every language, not its own language
- Implications for Wikikids?
- Better support for MediaWiki features and extensions for non-Wikimedia sites
- Letting individual devs 'test out' their new etensions at scale on a wikipedia-sized testbed
- Please help include TELUGU amongst the languages.Because its the most spoken language in INDIA after Hindi.
Few years ago wikipedia was owning domain name "Vikipedio" what was a redirection for eo.wikipedia.org. Wikipedia has lost it. A third party has used it during few years and now it is free again. Could Wikimedia Foundation buy this domain name again and make it redirection again ? Arno Lagrange ✉ 08:25, 26 November 2010 (UTC)
Modification to the editing interface
As we all know, many people who are not native english speakers contribute to english language wikimedia projects. Given this, would it not be a good idea to upgrade the editing interface with a spell-checker? --Please respond Here. 16:21, 20 November 2011 (UTC)
unification of certain pages and tools
Once I requested on the forum to access one's contribs & one's talk pages' changes, and use userboxes, across wikis. It would also be good to for search and preferences to optionally work across wikis. When wikis share things like categories and projects, it might be good to see if any unification, such as automatic linking, can be made... maybe even for some regular pages if not already done.--Dchmelik 13:16, 28 December 2011 (UTC)
page that does not exist
On the Dutch wiki, a strange situation exists since June 1st. Apparently there is a page that should exist, but does not. See this page. The error message mentions we should ask local sysops to take a look at it, but two senior sysops haven't got a clue what to do. Can someone please advise on the actions that should be taken? Thank you very much! ElfjeTwaalfje (talk) 00:27, 2 June 2012 (UTC)
- Appears solved because the (non-)existing page could be deleted :) ElfjeTwaalfje (talk) 02:01, 2 June 2012 (UTC)
I have seen it in commons OTRS and en:wp oversight. When you copy/paste the email addresses the @ symbol is either changed or disappears. Is this just an ASCII issue or a WMF policy about emails? I think the commons one has been fixed but the oversight one is locked. http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons_talk:OTRS#The_.40_symbol_in_the_email_address and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Oversight#email_not_working I don't know if this is the right forum but someone may wish to send a note to all projects to check emails if there is no policy against it. I didn't notice why my oversight email kept failing and an image donator in commons sent a few emails before they found the problem.Canoe1967 (talk) 00:58, 19 July 2012 (UTC)
- See also en:Template talk:No spam#Copy & paste bug. The bug only occurs with some web browsers but not with all web browsers. --Stefan2 (talk) 09:28, 19 July 2012 (UTC)
MS Wiki recent changes encounter fatal error.
Wiki MS encounter fatal error on http://ms.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khas:Perubahan_terkini other page seems ok. I am using Dolfin browser on android. Sorry if this is not the correct forum. Can somebody assist to look into this or foward to relevent forum. Yosri (talk) 15:40, 21 July 2012 (UTC)
May I know why this not published?
Import a gadget from Spanish Wikipedia
In Spanish Wikipedia we have this Gadget. It show the history and all specials pages (like contributions) as a numbered list. I like this gadget and I think that it is a good tool. So I request an administrator add it in
Speciaal:Voorkeuren> Uitbreidingen Special:Preferences > Gadgets > and in Spanish we have in "Interface". Or put this gadget like default changing it the dots. I like the two option (change). The description phrase is "Show the history and all specials pages as a numbered list." For questions, contact me. The translation of the Spanish word Excepciones is Exceptions.--Vivaelcelta (talk) 12:38, 25 October 2012 (UTC)
- Did you want it added here on Meta, or Dutch Wikipedia? Steven Walling (WMF) • talk 20:49, 26 October 2012 (UTC)
- Sorry for put "Speciaal:Voorkeuren> Uitbreidingen", it was to copy and paste of Dutch Wikipedia. I want it added on all Wikipedias, Meta, wikimediafoundation.org, Wikidata, Commons, trasnlatewiki.net and other projects of Wikimedia, because I think that this gadget is very good and very simple.--Vivaelcelta (talk) 15:39, 27 October 2012 (UTC)
Top page (http://www.wikipedia.org) needs update with a new "1,000,000+" section
The Wikipedia top page (http://www.wikipedia.org ) has sections for 100+, 1000+, 10 000+, 100 000+, but by now it really should have a new 1000 000+ section on there — given that 3 languages have crossed this 1M article threshold (en/de/fr) and another 4 are due to in the near future (es/ru/it/pl), with another 2 in around four to six months (ja/pt), it seems a no brainer to have the new exponential size on there by now.
An important additional benefit of adding the section, is that it's also highly likely to incentivise contributors of the other language wiki's to consider working just that bit harder to get their language in the 'most popular wiki languages' group, which would also be great for the site's "50M article by July 2015" growth targets! It sounds like such a small thing, but I have worked on other sites where doing things like this really does make hardcore users (ie. editors on WP!) increase their site participation.
Dunno if this has been mentioned anywhere else, and I hope this is the right place to add this request (if not, do please head me to the correct talk page concerned, as it's been bugging me for quite some time!) Thanks. Jimthing (talk) 06:08, 16 November 2012 (UTC)
I want to remove my user page (to vanish) from Wikipedia in Spanish. I changed my user name on here and on the projects where I participe unless on the Wikipedia in Spanish, where I'm blocked. I don't ask to change my user name on there (unless it may be a way to vanish), I want to vanish on that wiki; I don't know if also I could stay on the other projects after that. Before writing this, I did an e-mail request and, the person who answered told me about this page. Also I asked to be deleted in that Wikipedia (so is asked on the local level) but, the last thing I know is that the blockage of the talk page is changed but not vanished (so request denied?)
- There is no global right to vanish, it is granted on a wiki by wiki-basis. Snowolf How can I help? 17:32, 9 December 2012 (UTC)
Wikimedia Foundation employee salaries
Idea: Means to entangle genealogy information into Wikipedia articles
Idea: Means to entangle semantic web information into Wikipedia articles
Rule impossible to be fulfilled in the wiki-pt, what to do?
Can I ask for intervention in wiki-pt? At wiki-pt we have a rule impossible to be fulfilled: http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikip%C3%A9dia:CDN/SHOPPING#Infraestrutura. This rule say: to create an article of shopping, he must have "national or global importance" However, there are no reliable sources talking about "national or global importance" of malls. There are no "rankings of importance." Wanted by users, administrators shy away from giving answers on the subject. Meanwhile, some users take advantage of this rule badly formulated to erase all pages of malls. The person who created this rule in 2007 (a "discussion" where the entire community was omitted), has recognized that the rule which he himself created, is completely wrong: http://pt.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikip%C3%A9dia:Esplanada/geral/Encerramento_controverso_de_PE/EC_%2825fev2013%29&diff=34248739&oldid=34248731 "THE RULE IS COMPLETELY INAPPLICABLE" (He made other posts at this topic, talking about this).
The problem is that the administration of Wiki-pt takes no positive attitude to solve the problem of rule (actually, it seems they are enjoying the rule be that bad, and for personal reasons, are leaving delete all malls because they "think" that whoever created the articles of malls are people wanting to do propaganda, which is presumption of bad faith, and the rule of Wikipedia is to presume GOOD faith), and still protects article erasers, which are crude and rude with all, making a "clique". Wiki-pt users don't know where to run, please help. 22.214.171.124 19:01, 25 February 2013 (UTC)
Unicode normalization for Malayalam text in all Wikimedia projects
At present Unicode normalization (automatic convertion of pre unicode 5.1 text to latest standard) has been enabled on all Malayalam language WMF projects vide bug:22371. For cross wiki compatibility, the feature to be enabled on every WMF projects.
- Support--Praveen:talk 14:09, 28 February 2013 (UTC)
- Support--Drajay1976 (talk) 16:26, 28 February 2013 (UTC)
- Support -- Razimantv 21:13, 28 February 2013 (UTC)
- Support --Akhilan (talk) 03:20, 7 July 2013 (UTC)
Add a class for narrow tables
All tables in mobile view are forced to be 100% wide. Please add a class for tables that do not need this effect. See bugzilla:64516 for details.
Stop using two dashes for signatures
The toolbar that we have always pastes two dashes (--) instead of the much more proper em dash (—) in all signatures. It may seem like a petty quibble, but it would be extremely easy to fix this. --126.96.36.199 02:59, 13 July 2014 (UTC)
Remove all "bots" which welcome users
See w:Wikipedia:Perennial proposals#Use a bot to welcome new users and w:Wikipedia:Bots/Frequently denied bots#Welcome bot. But there are bots like this on other projects (For example:Wikimedia Commons and Meta-Wiki.)Ssaz 12 (talk) 06:22, 8 August 2014 (UTC)
Remove Future from message
The page X has been added to your watchlist. Future changes to this page and its associated talk page will be listed there. Not only future changes will be listed there, but past changes also. --Diwas (talk) 20:57, 4 October 2014 (UTC)
- Make all words in articles lead to new page related to the word, this can be done with programming when click on any word from article would lead to new articles but text would remain the same and standard wiki link to new article would override it or usual words or phrases.
- In each edit in history make report vandalism or spam with short explanation.
- Auto-sign when user begins with : but if edits inside between : an signature wouldn't sign it.
- Wikibot that would automatically translate via Google Translate articles from English Wikipedia and save them to other Wikipedia's that could save more time in writing articles but only for new articles links and files would be copied by Wikibot and then replaced after translation.
- Shortcuts for edit summary for example m minor edit.
- When signature is changed automatically change all signature of user (I have seen that in RPG Maker games you can type name of player and that name is displayed in whole game).
- TTS Text to Speech like Ekho I have read that it is possible to record ones own voice only vowels and consonants it is about one MB large and can read any text.And other languages as well.
- Also pop up translation for words from Wiktionary and how much times articles were visited.
- Input methods embedded in Wiki editor like Chinese.
- Also when make next word in new row in Wikipedia is displayed in same row this can be a problem for writhing many words one below other.
- Perhaps some translator like Google Translate which is online or for Android there are not much free quality translators today except Google Translate.
- When users edit is reverted or changed by different user would notify the user in special notifications, this would help if user has hundreds or thousands of edits so that he doesn't need to search all pages.Watch page is only for some pages it would be useful to have most although user can ignore it if he wants.
- Ancient Egyptian Babel for language knowledge.
- Wiki template that would make active count users edits and articles.
- Pop up translation from Wiktionary when mouse over word would translate it to English or other languages.English Wiktionary has millions of words (most are inflections) and you can use free OpenSource Kiwix for offline Wikipedia and Wiktionary (but Wiktionary is downloaded separately try using Google) and that offline Wiktionary could be programmed with pop up window to display articles (you can also find pop up code on Google like C++).
- Display image from link to other website (not Wikipedia).
- Wikihiero has some errors for example < hiero > r:r < / hiero > should display r above r but it is in the same row