2017 Community Wishlist Survey/Multimedia and Commons/Have the image rotation bot not overwrite existing images
The survey has concluded. Here are the results!
- Problem: Some pictures don't have only one right orientation, for instance an insect that is pictured from upside will apear correct with head up or with head left side. Some writers (for instance me in blocks of pictures) compose the pictures in their articles in a way, that there is only one orientation correct, the other (though also correct) destroys the composition. Now, if a second user wants to use the picture with another orientation, he may use the rotate template, not being aware that the picture is rotated not only for him, but also for all other users of the picture, who perhaps don't want the picture rotated.
- Usually users of the picture before rotation even don't realize that the picture was rotated; because they won't be informed, they realize the transformation at best by chance. In letter case, you have to restore the old version, put a new rotated one and control all users of the picture, which orientation fits better in their cases. I explained the problem already several times at different places, but did not provoke reactions.
- Who would benefit: All users, that want to use the picture only in that way, they choose it.
- Proposed solution: every picture rotated by bot gets a new name, for instance the old name lengthened by "-rot".
- More comments:
- Phabricator tickets:
- Translations: none yet
Most rotated pictures are correct only after rotation. If you compose an article in which the Eiffel Tower only fits on its side (i.e. rotated by 90°), the article is simply not OK. I know that you have problem with not-so-obvious cases, but if the rotated image is uploaded with another name, this will stay unfixed as well. Even if there’s no composition in the article, which latter means, I think, the 90% of the articles. This proposal would improve the 10% of the 10% of the articles, but the other 99% wouldn’t be improved or would be even worse than now. —Tacsipacsi (talk) 22:00, 11 November 2017 (UTC)
- if the picture is obviously wrong orientated, than the one, who loads it up will use the template. And everyone who uses the picure, will use the name of the right version, because the picture is new. On contrary, if the picture is uploaded from person 1 and used from persons 2 ...5 in that way, and afterwards rotated as wish from person 6, person 6 may it use with the new name and persons 7 .... in the orientation and corresponding name they prefer. I see your argument with the 10 % of 10% too, but its a lot of work for the 1 per mille too, to correct the mess, that may be provoqued (and mostly not detected). There would be also the possibility to inform automatically all users of the picture, if the picture is rotated - but this would reach only the activ users. --Siga (talk) 10:33, 14 November 2017 (UTC)
- Support This should be optional; as it is with the crop tool. Andy Mabbett (Pigsonthewing); Talk to Andy; Andy's edits 20:52, 27 November 2017 (UTC)
- Support adding this as an option Jc86035 (talk) 01:36, 28 November 2017 (UTC)
- Support --Liuxinyu970226 (talk) 13:17, 28 November 2017 (UTC)
- Support - Darwin Ahoy! 16:54, 28 November 2017 (UTC)
- Support Thomas Obermair 4 (talk) 23:02, 28 November 2017 (UTC)
- Support Shizhao (talk) 03:24, 29 November 2017 (UTC)
- Support Donald Trung (Talk 🤳🏻) (My global lock 🔒) (My global unlock 🔓) 10:51, 29 November 2017 (UTC)
- Oppose I rotated a lot of images and I do not recall a case there image would work with the original rotation. If such a rare case exist we could use external tools. However I would be OK with adding an option to the tool to do it, if the default is to overwrite. --Jarekt (talk) 04:43, 30 November 2017 (UTC)
- Support LikeLifer (talk) 18:16, 3 December 2017 (UTC)
- Support --Olei (talk) 21:33, 4 December 2017 (UTC)
- Support --Grüner Flip (talk) 21:19, 6 December 2017 (UTC)
- Oppose per Jarekt. Snek01 (talk) 21:20, 6 December 2017 (UTC)