Community Wishlist Survey 2017/Watchlists/Automatic notification of new links to a page should be able to be activated/deactivated on a per page basis
< Community Wishlist Survey 2017 | Watchlists(Redirected from 2017 Community Wishlist Survey/Watchlists/Automatic notification of new links to a page should be able to be activated/deactivated on a per page basis)Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Problem: Currently, the creator of a page gets notifications when the page gets linked from elsewhere. It's possible to deactivate this in the settings for all pages but when you create 10 pages and a single page gets constant notifications it's not possible to deactivate the feature for the single page.
- Additionally, it's not possible for other people to switch on these notifications for a page that they didn't create.
- Who would benefit: Users who create a lot of pages where some pages get a lot of incoming links and the resulting notifications on specific pages are annoying. The biggest benefit will be in Wikidata where some pages get thousands or even millions of incoming links.
- Users who want to get more information about pages they didn't create also benefit.
- Proposed solution: Create a per page setting that allows a user to activate or deactivate the notifications that are sent when the page gets linked.
- More comments:
- Translations: none yet
- ChristianK, I'm confused as I've never seen automatic notification of backlinking (links to a page). I wrote a program specifically for this purpose, to notify when a page gets new backlinks (see Bakclinks Watchlist). If this is built-in to the system somewhere I'd like to see it. Thanks. -- GreenC (talk) 17:01, 8 November 2017 (UTC)
- It works, but only if you have created the page in question, and then always, unless you turn it off in your preferences (maybe it’s off by default, and that’s why you don’t know about it?). It can be turned off only globally, and can’t be turned on for any page if you aren’t the author of the first revision. These limitations are what this proposal wants to get rid of. —Tacsipacsi (talk) 17:26, 8 November 2017 (UTC)
- @ChristianKl: I happened to create a Phabricator ticket for exactly this a week ago. I've added it to the proposal in the Phabricator section, but please read the description I wrote and remove it if it's not what you meant. Wittylama (talk) 16:59, 14 November 2017 (UTC)
- Support Tacsipacsi (talk) 21:15, 27 November 2017 (UTC)
- Support Jo-Jo Eumerus (talk, contributions) 10:28, 28 November 2017 (UTC)
- Support Wittylama (talk) 10:31, 28 November 2017 (UTC)
- Support --Liuxinyu970226 (talk) 13:26, 28 November 2017 (UTC)
- Support Jenks24 (talk) 09:49, 28 November 2017 (UTC)
- Support YFdyh000 (talk) 16:28, 28 November 2017 (UTC)
- Support Thomas Obermair 4 (talk) 23:10, 28 November 2017 (UTC)
- Support Libcub (talk) 05:26, 29 November 2017 (UTC)
- Support Donald Trung (Talk 🤳🏻) (My global lock 🔒) (My global unlock 🔓) 12:50, 29 November 2017 (UTC)
- Support Luan (discussão) 20:40, 29 November 2017 (UTC)
- Support Patar knightchat/contributions 20:50, 29 November 2017 (UTC)
- Support ChristianKl (talk) 21:05, 29 November 2017 (UTC)
- Support Never used this feature, however I do see how it would cause problems for people who do. Meiloorun (talk) 23:48, 29 November 2017 (UTC)
- Support I'm happy to get these notifications and would like to get them for pages that I didn't create. Opposite problem, same resolution :) Exilexi (talk) 15:37, 30 November 2017 (UTC)
- Support MGChecker (talk) 23:57, 1 December 2017 (UTC)
- Support ديفيد عادل وهبة خليل 2 (talk) 12:43, 2 December 2017 (UTC)
- Support → «« Man77 »» [de] 14:33, 2 December 2017 (UTC)
- Support Looking forward to this. I find it a bit frustrating to have to deal with inbound notices every time someone links to an article I made. --Hammersoft (talk) 18:08, 4 December 2017 (UTC)
- Support Nabla (talk) 21:13, 5 December 2017 (UTC)
- Support Uanfala (talk) 20:49, 6 December 2017 (UTC)
- Support Yes: I once created a page for a publisher to resolve a red link, and I'm thoroughly fed up with the number of notifications I get whenever it's cited in a reference! A chance to switch off notifications when that particular page is linked to would be much appreciated. PamD (talk) 09:59, 7 December 2017 (UTC)
- Support X:: black ::X (talk) 22:09, 9 December 2017 (UTC)
- Support --Hkoala (talk) 05:04, 10 December 2017 (UTC)
- Support Ruslik (talk) 16:41, 10 December 2017 (UTC)
- Support NicoScribe (talk) 09:54, 11 December 2017 (UTC)