Grants:PEG/UG GR/Wiki Loves Earth in Greece
The overall purpose of this Wiki Loves Earth contest is to increase the amount of freely-licensed material related to Greek protected natural sites in Wikimedia Commons, and improve the quality and quantity of Wikipedia articles about them, including illustrating the articles with the uploaded pictures. If the project is successful, more people will know not only about Wikipedia, but also about Wikimedia Commons and new users will be engaged in the projects. Additionally, the Wikimedia movement and the local chapters will gain visibility within the involved communities. Within this scope, we are asking funding to finance the cost of the prizes for the contest winners, and the cost of promotion for the contest.
- Preparation for the contest /
- Drafting of the set of rules for participation to the contest
- Creating and editing commons pages with the necessary information about the project.
- Standardize the list of protected areas to be photographed.
- Selection of the members of the jury committee
- Launching a website, community notification in Agora (el.wp village pump, wikiel mailing list, other relevant mailing lists, etc.)
- Promoting the competition through the use of social networks and photo-oriented web sites.
- Press release announcing the competition just some days before the starting date (we will try to have press coverage also during the contest)
- Contest itself, May 15th - June 15th 2016.
- Selection of winners, 15-30 June 2016. This involves work of organisers and active wikimedians who will check if images are eligible on the first stage and selection of the winners by the jury afterwards.
- Submitting the best photographs to participate in the global competition.
- Preparation of Posters and Certificates that will be delivered to the winners and the participants of the event.
- Evaluating the project and compiling the report.
- Write a brief blog about the competition.
- Wikimedia Commons: all images will be uploaded there
- Wikipedia - all languages: illustrations for existing articles about science and new articles about scientific issues depicted on the freshly uploaded pictures
- Wikidata: Items for all areas will be created, and best images will be used in statements.
Fit with strategy
What crucial thing will the project try to change or benefit in the Wikimedia movement? Please select the Wikimedia strategic priority(ies) that your project most directly aims to impact and explain how your project fits. Most projects fit all strategic priorites. However, we would like project managers to focus their efforts on impacting 1-2 strategic priorities. Examples of strategic priorities can be found at here.
- Increasing reach
- Creating partnerships with photo clubs, cultural centers and professional photographers to target potential contributors to Wikimedia Commons and off-line activities, increasing the quality of the content uploaded on commons.
- Through the national contest and massive online and offline marketing/activities we will target contributions from all regions of the country
- Increasing reach
- Increasing participation
- On boarding and educating new contributors through direct communication and providing support material/brochures to keep the contributors involved on the Wikimedia Movements, based on the support from active and experienced contributors as well. Based on that approach we intend to improve the user's contributions retention after the contest.
- Increasing participation
Measures of success
Please provide a list of both quantitative and qualitative criteria that will be used determine how successful the project is. You will need to report on the success of the project according to these measures after the project is completed. See the PEG Program Resources for suggested measures of success. Note: In addition to your project-specific measures of success, you will also be asked to report on some Global Metrics at the end of your final report. Please keep this in mind as you plan, and we'll support you as you begin your project.
- Number of participating : 150
- Number of photos uploaded: 2500
- Number of new users: 150
- 4 months after the contest, 200 (and 10%) of photos are used on wiki projects
- 4 months after the event, 50 (and 6%) of uploaded photos are categorized as valued, quality or featured
- 20 new areas be photographed
Resources and risks
- Project manager: Magioladitis
- Members of UG
- Individual wikimedians
- Professional and amateur photographers that helped as during Science Photo Competition
Our team has organized a multitude of events like educational programms, edit-a-thons, workshops, conferences or a daily mediawiki event. Our most recent was Science Photo Competition, which was our previous grant request during the user group's existence. Most of our projects were self-funded so far (when needed we got sponsorship by other organizations [private, public or non-profit] that the UG GR has cooperated with). During the SPC we definitely learned a lot.
- A risk could be the one of low participation, because of insufficient advertisement. A localised CentralNotice banner has been proved (during the last competition) to provide high visibility to the project. We also plan to communicate with public organisations to create some activities or at least advertise the competition.
- A connected risk would be to have a big grant prize for a small number of participants. For this reason we didn't set the prizes very high.
- Technical difficulties with the jury tool. We had this problem during the Science Photo Competition, and had to install and configure another one. But now we already know how to configure and use it.
Please provide a detailed breakdown of project expenses according to the instructions here. See Budget Guidelines. Grantees are subject to line-item scrutiny of expenses. Changes to the approved budget beyond 10% in any category must be approved in advance.
Project budget table
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Cost per unit||Total cost||Currency||Notes|
|1||Prizes||prizes for the best photographs and best contributors||n/a||3||n/a||900.00||EUR||Prizes will be awarded to the three best photographs (1st prize: €400.00, 2nd prize: €300.00, 3rd prize: €200.00, 4-10th will get a poster of their photo.|
|2||Posters||posters with the logo and the awarded photographs||unit||10||21.00||210.00||EUR||The posters with the official logo of the competition for the first 10 (or as many the budget can cover) awarded photographs|
|3||Banner||banner with the the official logo of the competition||unit||1||100.00||100.00||EUR||Banner with the official logo of the competition|
|4||Certificates||certificates for the awarded photographs and jury members||pack of 25||pack||11.00||11.00||EUR||Certificates with the names of the awarded photographs and prizes will be delivered during the Award ceremony. Similarly, certificates will be given to the jury members for their participation.|
|5||Travelling expenses||travelling expenses for possible photo expeditions||person||n/d yet||n/a||150.00||EUR||for getting the organisers to some of the areas in case of an organised wikiexpedition. Currently not planned, but in any case unused funds will be reimbursed to WMF|
|6||Fees, commissions, etc||Banking fees||transaction||n/a||n/a||30.00||EUR||transactions for receiving money, banking fees for payments (prizes and other).|
|7||Incidentals||expenses that are not projected in the budget but may still occur||n/a||n/a||n/a||100.00||EUR||This item will be generally used to adjust the changes in prices if they occur or to cover some of the incidental expenses that are not anticipated but may later occur as necessary.|
Total cost of project
Total amount requested
Additional sources of revenue
79.83 euros remaining from European Science Photo Competition Greece 2015 (Report)
See a description of non financial assistance available. Please inform the Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) of any requirements for non-financial assistance now.
You are responsible for notifying relevant communities of your proposal, so that they can help you! Depending on your project, notification may be most appropriate on a village pump, talkpage, mailing list. Please paste a link below to where the relevant communities have been notified of this proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions. Need notification tips?
Do you think this project should be selected for a Project and Event Grant? Please add your name and rationale for endorsing this project in the list below. Other feedback, questions or concerns from community members are also highly valued, but please post them on the talk page of this proposal.
- As a member of the international WLE team I support this proposal. I discussed this submission with Magioladitis in Berlin and I am confident that Greek usergroup will succeed in organising this project, they have a lot of experience organising other projects including organising ESPC last year, and their first Wiki Loves contest will be a good step forward. I am sure that they will be able to reach the goals and make this contest a success — NickK (talk) 06:12, 3 May 2016 (UTC)