Grants:PEG/WM ES/Wiki Loves Monuments Spain 2015
- The overall purpose of WLM is to increase the material related to monuments with a free license in Wikimedia Commons and improve the quality and increase the amount of articles about Spanish monuments in different languages in Wikipedia. With the scope that we are asking funding for we want to finance the cost of the awards to the contest winners. In this edition we focus on closing gaps, both missing monuments and missing pictures of municipalities in the Spanish territory.
Prior to September
- Update of monuments directories
- Preparation of photo contest website 
- Selection of the jury 
- Preparation and promotion of Flickr group
- Send letter to medias
- Promote the contests online and offline (while other activities of the chapter)
- Answer media requests
- Start sorting material uploaded
- Orientate users who need help
- Transfer material from Flickr to Commons
- Corrections, if needed, of uploaded material
- Selection of top 10 and winners of special categories
- Nomination of winners (both, photo and writing contest)
- Awards (note: only this activity needs budget from the foundation, but it is crucial for the whole contest)
- Using and categorizing pictures from the photo contest
- Wikimedia Commons and all Wikipedia language versions, especially the versions spoken in the Spanish territory
Fit with strategy
What crucial thing will the project try to change or benefit in the Wikimedia movement? Please select the Wikimedia strategic priority(ies) that your project most directly aims to impact and explain how your project fits. Most projects fit all strategic priorities. However, we would like project managers to focus their efforts on impacting 1–2 strategic priorities. Examples of strategic priorities can be found here.
- Make the movement thank to the solid brand WLM more popular in Spain
- Gain new contributors
- Close existing gaps: missing pictures with a free license of some listed monuments (special prize)
- Close existing gaps: missing pictures with a free license of some municipalities (main prize), listed here (as of August 10th 1653 municipalties in Spain lack a picture).
Measures of success
Please provide a list of both quantitative and qualitative criteria that will be used to determine how successful the project is. You will need to report on the success of the project according to these measures after the project is completed. See the PEG program resources for suggested measures of success.
- Amount of photos uploaded in the contest within Spain: success is over 5,000 files.
- Amount of single users participating in the contest: success is over 200.
- Amount of articles in the Wikimedia projects using this material after 6 months: success is 100.
- Amount of new users: success is over 20.
- Amount of photos used on wikimedia projects after 6 months: success is over 200
- Amount of municipalities with at least one picture lacking it prior to the contest 826 (50% of total missing)
- Amount of monuments with a first picture 100
- Amount of mentions in press or other web sites: success is over 30
Note: In addition to your project-specific measures of success, you will also be asked to report on some global metrics at the end of your final report. Please keep this in mind as you plan, and we'll support you as you begin your project.
Resources and risks
- This year team: Millars, Poco a poco, Rodelar, Kadellar, B25es, Platonides, Pedro J Pacheco and others
- This is the 5th year of this project, and the support of the community for WLM is clear. Wikimedia Spain organized this contest in 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 with a great success of uploaded pictures and people participating. Spain is the 4th country with most pictures uploaded to WLM since 2010 with more than 100,000 pictures.
- Difficulty in recruiting new volunteers and achieving the participation from previous years.
- Reorientation of the contest to missing media rather than massive media.
Grantees are subject to line-item scrutiny of expenses. Changes to the approved budget beyond 10% in any category must be approved in advance.
- Project budget table
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Cost per unit||Total cost||Currency||Notes|
|1||Awards||External Hard Disk Drive 2 Tb 2.5"||1 HDD||1||114||114||EUR||Winner of best picture of a "new monument".|
|2||Awards||External Hard Disk Drive 2 Tb 2.5"||1 HDD||1||114||114||EUR||Winner of best new municipality. |
|3||Awards||External Hard Disk Drive 1 Tb 2.5"||1 HDD||3||60||180||EUR||Best picture of a monument that already has image, and uploader of most different new monuments and of most different new municipalities. |
|4||Awards and gifts||Book "Wikipedia de la A a la W"||1 book||21||12.5||262.5||EUR||Book about Wikipedia, as a prize for 10 first places and 6 special prizes, and as a gift for the five members of the jury |
|5||Certificates||Printout of certificates||1 certificate||21||2||42||EUR||Best photographers, jury and special categories|
|6||Internet||Domain and web hosting for site http://www.wikilm.es||1 package||1||15||15||EUR||None|
|7||Shipping||Shipping to up to 21 persons||1 shipment||21||5||105||EUR||For photo contest|
|8||Gifts for jury members||Purchase of details as gifts for jury members||1||5||40||200||EUR||A gift for jury members because their dedicated time for free|
|9||Stickers, posters and leaflets||n/a||n/a||50||EUR||Small color stickers, posters or leaflets|
|10||Unforeseen||Expenses that cannot be planned at this moment||10% of estimated budget||1||118.75||EUR||The amount is the result of 10% of the estimated|
Note: there will be an award ceremony for the winners of WLM, but part of the cost for that have already been included in the WLE grant: Grants:PEG/WM ES/Wiki Loves Earth Spain and Portugal 2015.
- Total cost of project
- 1306.25 EUR
- Total amount requested from the Project and Event Grants program
- 637.45 EUR
- Additional sources of revenue that may fund part of this project, and amounts funded
- 250 EUR (Paradores will provide a prize for one of the prizes listed above or for a new category)
- 418.8 EUR (From Grants:PEG/WM ES/Wiki Loves Monuments Spain 2014/Report)
See a description of non-financial assistance available. Please inform the Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) of any requests for non-financial assistance now.
- Requests for non-financial assistance, if any
You are responsible for notifying relevant communities of your proposal, so that they can help you! Depending on your project, notification may be most appropriate on a village pump, talk page, mailing list. Please paste a link below to where the relevant communities have been notified of this proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions. Need notification tips?
Viquiprojecte Monuments in Catalan Wikipedia
Wikiproyecto Patrimonio Histórico in Spanish Wikipedia
Do you think this project should be selected for a Project and Event Grant? Please add your name and rationale for endorsing this project in the list below. Other feedback, questions or concerns from community members are also highly valued, but please post them on the talk page of this proposal.
- --El Pantera (talk) 21:59, 25 August 2015 (UTC) WLM Spain has been a success in previous editions: lots of new pictures were uploaded, and the organizing team tried to engage participants.
- Mr.Ajedrez (talk) 22:57, 25 August 2015 (UTC) WMES has a great experience and a reliable team working on it, therefore I'm sure it's well worth the spend in organizing WLM in Spain again.
- B25es (talk) 14:09, 26 August 2015 (UTC) WLM has been a great success in Spain. This year we expect to make it even better.
- Rodrigo Padula (talk) 02:41, 27 August 2015 (UTC) WLM is a great opportunity to attract more content and contributors to the Wikimedia movement. This grgant request is very reasonable and for sure will generate a great impact on contributions.
- 19Tarrestnom65 (talk) 04:11, 27 August 2015 (UTC). It is an event that helps new people to participate in the Commons project and that may be the first step to participate in other projects.
- Rodelar (talk) 11:12, 28 August 2015 (UTC) WLM is a consolidated and successful project in Spain, it´s worth supporting its organization.
- Hispalois (talk) 21:01, 28 August 2015 (UTC) The WLM Spain contest has proven to have a good return on investment. Furthermore, the organizing team for 2015 has introduced some novelties to make the contest less repetitive and attract new contributors.
- --Kippelboy (talk) 17:09, 31 August 2015 (UTC) Well designed and Good chance for Wikimedia Spain to show their organising skills.
- For grantees
If you are the grantee or representative that wrote this grant submission, you may request changes by using these links: