- Our goal is to organise the Ukrainian edition of the Wiki Loves Monuments photo contest. After two successful editions in 2012 and 2013 we want to continue this contest by organising a new edition. During this year we have expanded our lists by adding new monuments and we hope to attract for this new edition more contributors from regions that were underrepresented in previous years.
- Preparation for the contest. This involved work on lists (sending requests to local administrations, funded from the line 10.1 (Post expenses and telephone charges) of our Programs in Ukraine 2014 grant) and outreach to partners (we used our last year's album, funded from Programs in Ukraine 2013, souvenirs and promotional materials funded from the lines 4.1 and 5.1 of our Programs in Ukraine 2014 grant).
- Contest itself, 15 September - 15 October. During the contest we also expect to organise wikiexpeditions to the most poorly covered cities or regions that will be funded from section 2 of our Programs in Ukraine 2014 grant.
- Selecting winners, 15 October - 10 November. This will involve work of organisers and active wikimedians who will check if images are eligible on the first stage and selection of the winners by the jury.
- Award ceremony and presentation events, 1 November - 30 November. We will buy prizes to winners, print photos and/or prepare decorations for the award ceremony and organise an award ceremony, inviting all winners to Kyiv, probably to a building that is a monument itself. We may also organise another presentation event, such as an exhibition or a press conference.
- Wiki Loves Monuments article writing contest will be held, 1 November - 30 November. A press-conference or presentation event will be organised. A volunteer jury will evaluate the articles and the winners will get prizes, certificates and souvenirs
- Preparation of photo album and sending prizes to the winners, 1 December - 31 January. We will prepare our photo album of the contest and send prizes (as well as copies of the album) to the winners.
- Wikimedia Commons: main place for image uploads
- Ukrainian Wikipedia: illustrations for articles about monuments and articles themselves
- Ukrainian Wikivoyage: illustrations for tour guides
- Wikipedia and Wikivoyage projects in other languages having articles about Ukrainian cities and monuments
Fit with strategy
What crucial thing will the project try to change or benefit in the Wikimedia movement? Please select the Wikimedia strategic priority(ies) that your project most directly aims to impact and explain how your project fits. Most projects fit all strategic priorites. However, we would like project managers to focus their efforts on impacting 1–2 strategic priorities. Examples of strategic priorities can be found here.
- Increasing reach: inviting contributors from regions where we have poor coverage in both articles and photos to participate in the contest and join Wikimedia projects
- Increasing quality: higher quality images to illustrate cultural heritage on Wikipedia
Measures of success
Please provide a list of both quantitative and qualitative criteria that will be used to determine how successful the project is. You will need to report on the success of the project according to these measures after the project is completed. See the PEG program resources for suggested measures of success.
- 400 users participating in the contest
- 200 newly registered users thanks to the contest
- 25,000 images uploaded
- 5000 monuments illustrated (including monuments that previously had illustrations)
- 5000 image uses across Wikimedia projects
- 200 Wikipedia articles to be created
Note: In addition to your project-specific measures of success, you will also be asked to report on some global metrics at the end of your final report. Please keep this in mind as you plan, and we'll support you as you begin your project.
Resources and risks
- Core WLM team:
- Other users helping us:
- Previous successful editions: 2012 and 2013, as well as two editions of Wiki Loves Earth
- Lists conversion tools and bots available from previous editions.
- Monument lists partly available from previous years (update and expansion needed).
- Potential partners available
- Lack of nationwide monument lists. National monument register is of a poor quality and covers only a small part of monuments in the country (some 3-5% only). Thus we have to contact local governments of all regions in order to obtain monument lists. Lack of response of these governments may leave us without monuments participating in the contest in the given area.
- Military conflict in Donbass may limit participation of users in affected areas, as many people there do not have basic modern conveniences such as electricity and water, and travel to these areas may be dangerous
- Unstable situation in Crimea may reduce participation of users from this region, but we will try to reach target groups there
- Little or no active wikipedians in some regions having a lot of cultural heritage monuments. We want to deal with this issue by doing outreach to target groups (photographers, local historians etc.) there and inviting them to participate.
- Fluctuating exchange rate and restrictions on use of foreign currency. Ukrainian Hryvnia is very volatile during the latest months, and our government makes us sell some 50% to 100% of incoming funds in foreign currency immediately upon reception. An example is our WLM 2013 album (see here) that almost doubled in price due to increasing prices on paper. This makes exchange gain/loss extremely high, and exchange gain/loss alone can be beyond 10% of a category. In order to have more reasonable measures, we are providing prices in USD only as USD/UAH rate can fluctuate several percents a day. A possible solution will be receiving this grant in parts, with each part being received almost immediately before spending it.
Grantees are subject to line-item scrutiny of expenses. Changes to the approved budget beyond 10% in any category must be approved in advance.
- Project budget table
|Number||Item description||Unit||Qty||Cost per unit UAH /USD||Total cost USD||WMF contribution (USD)||Other sources (USD)||Notes|
|1.1||Main Prizes||per nomination||6||450.00 USD||2700.00||2250.00||450.00||6 prizes: 3 for top-3 best photos, 3 for top-3 in terms of monuments pictured. We expect that at least one prize will be donated by sponsors. As last year, we want to give to each winner a possibility to choose among several prizes (for this value: cameras, tablets, smartphones, GPS navigators etc.)|
|1.2||Additional Prizes||person||15||40.00 USD||600.00||600.00||Prizes to places 4-10 in both nominations and regional winners. This encourages more people to actually participate in the contest, as people now that it is easy to win.|
|1.3||Special nominations prizes||person||15||20.00 USD||300.00||0.00||300.00||We expect to organize several special nominations with our partners, with all prizes provided by partners.|
|2. Jury and Award Ceremony||1639.00||1389.00||250.00|
|2.1||Jury's offline meeting (travel expenses and meals)||event||1||300.00 USD||300.00||300.00||Judging from our previous experience (WLM 2012 & 2013, WLE 2013), this offline meeting of the jury is very helpful for the efficient work of the jury.|
|2.2||Hall rent||day||1||200.00 USD||200.00||200.00||Hall rent for the award ceremony|
|2.3||Hall decorations||event||1||125.00 USD||125.00||125.00||The prize-winning photos are to be printed out, for example, for exhibitions like we organised last year in Kyiv and Chernihiv|
|2.4||Food & Beverages. Stand-up party||person||30||3.00 USD||90.00||90.00|
|2.5||Travel expenses (for participants and jury members)||person||20||20.00 USD||400.00||400.00||To the awards ceremony|
|2.6||Presentation events||event||2||250.00 USD||500.00||250.00||250.00||We expect to organise presentation events to present winners to public, either in form of an exhibition or of a press conference. One of those events may be funded by our partners.|
|2.7||Transportation expenses||way||3||8.00 USD||24.00||24.00||Our banners, prizes and food are to be delivered to the venue|
|3. Album & prizes delivery||2375.00||2375.00|
|3.1||Publishing photo album||project||1||2250.00 USD||2250.00||2250.00||Two previous editions of these albums had a big success and were very helpful for promoting Wiki Loves Monuments and explaining the idea of free culture to our partners.|
|3.2||Post expenses and telephone charges||project||1||125.00 USD||125.00||125.00||Sending prizes and albums to users who could not attend the ceremony.|
|4. Wiki Loves Monuments article contest||850.00||750.00||100.00|
|4.1||Wiki Loves Monuments article contest: prizes, press-conference (presentation)||project||1||10 200.00 UAH / 850.00 USD||850.00||750.00||100.00||An article contest is to be held after the photo contest is over (around November 2014)|
|5. Administrative expenses||75.00||75.00|
|5.1||Bank expenses||project||1||1000.00 UAH / 75.00 USD||75.00||75.00|
- Total cost of project
- 8539.00 USD
- Total amount requested from the Project and Event Grants program
- 7439.00 USD
- Additional sources of revenue that may fund part of this project, and amounts funded
- Partners of the contests: 1100.00 USD
See a description of non-financial assistance available. Please inform the Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) of any requests for non-financial assistance now.
- Requests for non-financial assistance, if any
- Providing international WLM souvenirs (calendars?) to the winners, so that we can ship them in January together with albums
You are responsible for notifying relevant communities of your proposal, so that they can help you! Depending on your project, notification may be most appropriate on a village pump, talkpage, mailing list. Please paste a link below to where the relevant communities have been notified of this proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions. Need notification tips?
Do you think this project should be selected for a Project and Event Grant? Please add your name and rationale for endorsing this project in the list below. Other feedback, questions or concerns from community members are also highly valued, but please post them on the talk page of this proposal.