Grants:Programs/Wikimedia Community Fund/Rapid Fund/DCW Bhopal Photo Event 2022 (ID: 21917963)
This is an automatically generated Meta-Wiki page. The page was copied from Fluxx, the grantmaking web service of Wikimedia Foundation where the user has submitted their application. Please do not make any changes to this page because all changes will be removed after the next update. Use the discussion page for your feedback. The page was created by CR-FluxxBot.
- Please provide your main Wikimedia Username.
- Please provide the Usernames of people related to this proposal.
- Are you a member of any Wikimedia affiliate or group, including informal groups like Wiki Fan Clubs, emerging language communities, not recognized Wikimedia groups etc.? Please list them all.
I am the key person and founder of Deoband Community Wikimedia User Group, an AffCom recognized user group.
- M. Please state the title of your proposal. This will also be the Meta-Wiki page title.
DCW Bhopal Photo Event 2022
- Q. Indicate if it is a local, international, or regional proposal and if it involves several countries? (optional)
- Q2. If you have answered regional or international, please write the country names and any other information that is useful for understanding your proposal.
- R. If you would like, please share any websites or social media accounts that your group or organization has.
- 1. What is the change that you are trying to bring about and why is this important.
Deoband Community Wikimedia began as a user group to promote the growth of thematic knowledge about global Deobandi scholarship at a global level. DCW does not limit itself to a single language and tries to promote thematic knowledge on Wikimedia projects as far as possible. We began a collaboration with the Yoruba Wikimedians User Group to share the thematic knowledge on Yoruba Wikimedia. DCW looks forward working with other local, regional and international affiliates, thus enriching every Wikimedia project whether it is Wikipedia or else, with knowledge related to global Deobandi scholarship.
There is a scarcity of volunteers on Wikimedia projects at the least related to our theme. During DCW Bhopal Event besides the collection of various thematic images, we hope to join in volunteers with a target of 30 people. We would manage to do some training workshops as well to train new editors.
- 2. Describe your main approaches or strategies to achieve these changes and why you think they will be effective.
DCW is trying to reach people online and offline through meetups. Contests and thematic collaborations are our basic strategies for the time being. The Deoband Yoruba Collaborative Project has been effective and we have received attention of people. Compliments are helpful, so we would use our best available compliments to keep the people intact with us, and helping our goal grow. We have planned a workshop in Deoband but it is postponed due to unavailability of resources.
- 3. What are the activities you will be developing and delivering as part of these approaches or strategies?
We are currently looking forward to improve Wikimedia Commons with freely licensed images related to our theme, which we would be collecting in our Bhopal Photo Event, during November 2022. The images would subsequently be used on Wikipedia projects as well. Besides this, part of these approaches, we are trying to join in new volunteers for Wikiquote, besides several language Wikipedias. We would do monthly meetups, training workshops and contests as a strategic way to work on our approaches.
- 4. Are your activities part of a Wikimedia movement campaign or event? If so, please select the relevant campaign below. If so, please select all the relevant campaigns from the list below. If "other", please state which.
Other (please specify)
- 5. Do you have the team that is needed to implement this proposal?
Yes, some members of the DCW, such as Numis Zuhair.
- 6. Please state if your proposal aims to work to bridge any of the identified CONTENT knowledge gaps (Knowledge Inequity)? Select up to THREE that most apply to your work.
Topics considered to be of impact or important in the specific context, Cultural background, ethnicity, religion, racial
- 6.1 In a few sentences, explain how your work is specifically addressing this content gap (or Knowledge inequity) to ensure a greater representation of knowledge.
Thematic topics are often covered less. DCW has a theme that spreads throughout the globe. The systematic bias exists there in the matter of coverage about South Asian scholars and academics of last century. DCW tries to lessen this gap and promotes writing and improving WMF projects related to its focus.
- 7. Please state if your proposal includes any of these areas or THEMATIC focus. Select up to THREE that most apply to your work and explain the rationale for identifying these themes.
- 8. Will your work focus on involving participants from any underrepresented communities?
Geographic , Ethnic/racial/religious or cultural background, Linguistic / Language
- 9. Who are the target participants and from which community? How will you engage participants before and during the activities? How will you follow up with participants after the activities?
DCW's target is the students and graduates of Islamic seminaries (thematic, related to DCW's theme) at a global level. As of now, we are trying to work locally and develop our base before we can move on. DCW has recently collaborated with Yoruba Wikimedians User Group and helped to transfer knowledge into a different language. We look forward doing such more collaborations with local, regional and international affiliates and organizations. DCW engages through social media and remains in touch with its members, and tries to bring more people in. Following any sort of contests, DCW feels compliments work best, and we will use compliments as far as possible to keep the community alive and growing.
- 10. In what ways are you actively seeking to contribute towards creating a safer, supportive, more equitable environment for participants?
We will adhere strictly to the Wikimedia friendly space policy and UCOC all through the project activities
- 11. Please tell us about how you have let your Wikimedia communities know about the planned activities and this proposal. Use this space to describe the processes you carried out to make the community more involved in planning this proposal. Please link the on-wiki community discussion(s) around the proposals.
- 12. Are you aware of other Rapid Fund proposals in your local group, community, or region that are being submitted and that align with your proposed project?
- 12.1 Did you explore the possibility of doing a joint proposal with other leaders in your group?
- 12.2 How will this joint proposal allow you to have better results?
- 12.1 What was the reason for you deciding NOT to develop a joint proposal? How will you guarantee coordination efforts to make sure that you are not duplicating efforts and that you can maximise your work and joint impact.
- The Bhopal Photo Event is a thematic event and it comes in the purview of DCW only.
- 13. Will you be working with other external, non-Wikimedia partners to implement this proposal? Required.
- 13.1 Please describe these partnerships and what motivates the potential partner to be part of the proposal and how they add value to your work.
- 14. In what ways do you think your proposal most contributes to the Movement Strategy 2030 recommendations. Select a maximum of THREE options that most apply.
Increase the Sustainability of Our Movement, Improve User Experience, Innovate in Free Knowledge
Learning, Sharing, and Evaluation
- 15. What do you hope to learn from your work in this fund proposal?
We hope to learn about diversity of content and information related to DCW's theme, through passionate young volunteers, and how better we can support them in continuing their works for the upliftment of Wikimedia's goals.
- 16. Based on these learning questions, what is the information or data you need to collect to answer these questions? Please register this information (as metric description) in the following spaces provided.
|Main Open Metrics||Description||Target|
|Thematic images||Images to be uploaded on Commons, and subsequently articles improved on several projects||200|
- 17. Core quantitative metrics.
|Number of participants||Joining in new editors||30|
|Number of editors||Number of experienced active editors||5|
|Number of organizers|
|Wikimedia Commons||Addition of thematic images||200|
- 17.1 If for some reason your proposal will not measure these core metrics please provide an explanation.
Our target for the Bhopal Photo Event is to collect over 200 thematic images that would be subsequently used on a number of Wikimedia projects. Targets aren't easy to achieve but we will strive to achieve a nearest number at the least, besides reaching new people throughout the travel.
- 18. What tools would you use to measure each metric selected? Please refer to the guide for a list of tools. You can also write that you are not sure and need support.
This is a photographic event and doesn't need any tool to measure. Following the collection of images, and during the uploading process, we'll try to use the Hashtags tool, if possible.
- 19. & 19.1 What is the amount you are requesting from Wikimedia Foundation? Please provide this amount in your local currency.
- 19.2 What is this amount in US Currency (to the best of your knowledge)?
- 20. Please upload your budget for this proposal or indicate the link to it.
- We/I have read the Application Privacy Statement, WMF Friendly Space Policy and Universal Code of Conduct.
Endorsements and Feedback
Please add endorsements and feedback to the grant discussion page only. Endorsements added here will be removed automatically.
Community members are invited to share meaningful feedback on the proposal and include reasons why they endorse the proposal. Consider the following:
- Stating why the proposal is important for the communities involved and why they think the strategies chosen will achieve the results that are expected.
- Highlighting any aspects they think are particularly well developed: for instance, the strategies and activities proposed, the levels of community engagement, outreach to underrepresented groups, addressing knowledge gaps, partnerships, the overall budget and learning and evaluation section of the proposal, etc.
- Highlighting if the proposal focuses on any interesting research, learning or innovation, etc. Also if it builds on learning from past proposals developed by the individual or organization, or other Wikimedia communities.
- Analyzing if the proposal is going to contribute in any way to important developments around specific Wikimedia projects or Movement Strategy.
- Analysing if the proposal is coherent in terms of the objectives, strategies, budget, and expected results (metrics).