Grants talk:Programs/Wikimedia Community Fund/Rapid Fund/DCW Bhopal Photo Event 2022 (ID: 21917963)
Endorsment from Tochiprecious (talk)
I recommend this project. As one who currently leads a community, it's a good way to help the DCW community to grow while recruiting and keeping the community engaged. --Tochiprecious (talk) 20:35, 19 July 2022 (UTC)
Endorsements from T Cells
- Support - I have no doubt about the capacity of the project team. This is small project that is worth funding. T CellsTalk 18:23, 21 July 2022 (UTC)
Strong support This is an important step for DCW, DCW doing good actives in the Wikimedia movement such as This definitely it will be a worthy event for the community, User:TheAafi is a well experienced guy in wiki movement he is recently finished a successful Collaborative Project. Best of luck! --J. Ansari Talk 17:23, 24 July 2022 (UTC)
Observations and suggestions from the South Asia Grants Regional Committee
South Asia Grants Regional Committee has the following observations and suggestions regarding the proposal that has been shared for review:
- The idea of collecting and adding new freely licensed images for Commons with respect to a target audience is welcome and appreciated.
- It is essential that more details should be provided in the proposal regarding
- Roles and responsibilities of the organisers during the event
- Nature and the objectives of the event need to be aligned. (For eg: Is it necessary that 5 resource persons are engaged for the event? Is the event a photowalk or a workshop to teach skills around uploading images and adding metadata?)
- A reexamined budget both on the basis of expenses and objectives is recommended.
Looking forward to your responses and engagement
- Hi @THasan (WMF), thanks for reviewing this application and for valuable ideas and suggestions. I'm glad that you appreciate the basic idea of this event. I'm straightforwardly answering your questions:
- DCW is a growing project and is striving its best to complete its ideas and goals for which it was established. I need at least 3-4 people to take care of this project because it would involve several photowalk events, workshops, editing sessions, learning processes etc. It is really not necessary to have five resource persons engaged for the event but I need four, as I said above. Five was just a proposed number for ease. The lack of various resources is another problem which makes it necessary for us to have four-five persons on resources. Five resource persons would be very much beneficial in achieving the target, but four is also very much close, and it would make us work more passionately and hardly.
- I'm really sorry for the confusions caused because this is first ever grant request that I have made. Bhopal Photo Event has several ideas:
- The primary idea is collection of over 200+ thematic images from different areas of Bhopal, in which the relevant resource persons with local help and aid would move on and collect images.
- The second idea is uploading of these images on Commons; we have a target of some ten people getting around included in this, and we would thus do this work in a manner like teaching, how to upload images on Commons etc.
- The third idea is using the images on Wikipedia projects and Wikidata.
- To sum up, this event would include several photo walks (as a group), some as individual travels to certain places (we cannot make wrong use of resources every year, if we get some days to do a huge work, we will try doing it in very much less time, once, as much as possible). That's why we have made it a five days event. All the four resource persons would move on with local aid to several places for first few days, collect images, and subsequently on the fourth day, upload these images on Commons, alongside teaching new volunteers how to upload these images. On the fifth day, an all in one photo walk, and a workshop about how to use this media on Wikipedia and other projects will be done. I hope and pray that you find this answer satisfactory. I'm on a journey, and would be able to re-design the budget later in the day. ─ The Aafī (talk) 07:17, 2 August 2022 (UTC)
Recommendation from the South Asia Grants Regional Committee
@The Aafī, Thank you for your responses and considering the suggestions made by the South Asia GRC. This funding request has been approved.
We encourage all volunteers and User Groups to plan efficiently and conduct activities that are helpful to the local communities as a priority. We wish you a productive photowalk, curation of the photos and look forward to reading of the report detailing your learnings and achievements. Please let us know if the South Asia GRC can be of any assistance during the event or at a later stage.
- @THasan (WMF), Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I'm happy that this proposal has been approved and I look forward making better strategies in order to gain the best from this event. ─ The Aafī (talk) 16:11, 6 August 2022 (UTC)
Additional 200 USD requested
Hi @THasan (WMF). Given our discussions about DCW's Wikidata Event, we need an extra amount of 200 USD that we can spend alongside the remaining funds from this grant. The Bhopal Event is scheduled to happen between 15 and 20 October whilst the Wikidata event is scheduled for 29 or 30 October 2022. DCW's Bhopal event as explained earlier aims to document the theme through Wikimedia Commons (by collecting and including thematic images from the city of Bhopal), and Numis Zuhair has prepared an offline schedule and managed to reach certain local helpers and we hope to get some volunteers as well.
Coming to the Wikidata event, though birthday oriented, it aims to reduce the very gap on Wikidata for which DCW was established. New thematic entries would be created, earlier entries would be modified, related references be added - and volunteers be taught how does this central repository work. Contributing in such way to Wikidata would help DCW grow and advances it and we can learn more things for evaluation purposes. Please let me know if you have any questions. ─ The Aafī (talk) 16:35, 20 September 2022 (UTC)