Grants:Project/Rapid/BorisBahire/Wiki Loves Africa 2020 in Rwanda
Please see the sample Contest application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Recruit loyal contributors (professional photographers and non-professional) to Wikipedia and other future projects.
- Introduce Wiki Loves Africa project to existing and new contributors of wiki commons, and share all about Wiki Loves Africa and this year's theme.
- Engage existing contributors and encourage them to continue contributing even when during the post-contest period.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What content will the contest focus on, and why is it important to your community? Wiki Loves Africa 2020 in Rwanda will focus on photo shooting activities under the year theme which will about "Transportation". The photos that will be taken will be uploaded on Commons and will be used to depict and improve articles related to Rwanda and Africans under transportation on Wikipedia and its other sister projects.
2. How will you let people know about the contest? We will use the created Rwanda user group Facebook page but also use posters and banners in other known places to be accessed with people who might have interests to the project, these are: Westerwelle Kigali, Ishyo Art Centre , Kigali Public Library, and Impact Hub Kigali . In addition to that, we shall also use banners to increase the awareness of the contest.
3. How will you judge the contest and award prizes? We will have a panel of 3 judges who have much more expertise in the photography area. They will judge based on the following criteria:
- Appealing to the audience
4. For photo contests, what is the strategy to get images used on projects?
With the support of the most experienced Wikimedian,Geoffrey Katerega from the the neighboring Wikimedia user group - Uganda and we will also organize edit-a-thons for the newbies to learn how to upload all the taken photos, use some of the photos to improve some existing articles on the Rwanda transportation and we may use the edit-a-thons opportunity to create new articles with these newly taken photos.
5. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- This is the first time that Rwanda is participating in this contest and will be great opportunity to kick off and raise awareness about Wikimedia and eventually grow the community here.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
For photo contests:
- Number of participants 20
- Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons 100+
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects 25+
- Number of new Wikimedia's: 5
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding). Links
- to the contest page : Commons:Wiki Loves Africa
- to the meta organizing page : Wiki Loves Africa 2020
- to Facebook page : https://www.facebook.com/WikiLovesAfrica
- Boris Bahire, Project Leader
- Derrick Ndahiro, Project Assistant
- Clementine Nyirahabihirwe, Wikimedia User Group Rwanda
- Rebbecah, Wikimedia User Group Rwanda
- Juliette, Wikimedia User Group Rwanda
- Jane Umutoni, Wikimedia User Group Rwanda
- Grace, Wikimedia User Group Rwanda
More other roles for members will be defined later.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- 1 USD = 925,664 RWF as of 12 December 2019 
- Project budget table
|No.||Item||Quantity||Rate (USD)||Total (USD)||’Summary'|
|Events||Venue||2||$50||$100||This includes first launch event and second event. We will have the introduction of Wiki Loves Africa project, wikicommons and an uploading session and awareness. (Both Venue and Snacks)|
|Lunch & refreshment||2||$100||$200|
|Branding & Stationaries||T-Shirts||10||$7||$70||T-shirts and certificates will be given to some of the contributors/participants who will have uploaded good and quality photos and will have shown great commitment/activeness during the contest period and for the organizing team as well.|
|Communications & Outreach||Transport||5||$30||$150||Transport for the participants and for the person with more experience will be incurred. Internet will be used during events for photo uploading. Cameras will also be hired to enhance the quality of the photos that will be taken. Posters and flyers will be printed to be put/distributed at the mentioned places in the proposal that are famous to be hosting social events but also gathering diverse communities who might get interests in WLA project. A banner will be printed to be used for the all the events such as opening, edit-a-hon and closing ceremonies.|
|Internet at the events||1||$30||$30|
|Transport & accommodation for the experienced Wikimedian (from Uganda user group)||1||$200||$200|
|Photo hunt (Photo Walk)||2||$100||$200|
|Posters & Flyers (Designing & printing)||35||$2||$70|
|Photo camera rental||2||$30||$60|
|Closing Ceremony||Awards giving||(1st,2nd,3rd)||$350||$350||The award will be given in term of vouchers and certificates. We will give vouchers cards worthy $200 to the first winner, $100 to the second winner and $50 to the third one, the winners can spend vouchers cards on what they choose. The same will apply for the jury judges who will also get small voucher cards.|
|Drinks and Snacks||1||$100||$100|
|Gifts for the Jury judges||3||$50||$150|
|Contingency Amount||$50||Unforeseen expenses|
|Total: USD 1950|
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- its well organized and if successful ,this project will contribute to the awareness about Wikimedia movement in Rwanda Ndahiro derrick (talk) 21:37, 14 December 2019 (UTC)
- Support Anthere (talk)
- Support Clementine Nyirahabihirwe (talk) I strongly support this project as it will increase the quality and awareness of Wikimedia projects.
- Support Jane Umutoni (talk) The project is in line with our plans and dream to advance Wikimedia Movement in Rwanda. I thus fully support and strongly endorse Boris' grant application.