Grants:Project/Rapid/Brazal.dang/Bikol Wikimedia Community Satellite Library
- Please see the sample General promotion campaign application before drafting your application.
- You can also read a recent general promotion campaign application, Promotion of Maithili Wikipedia and their related report.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed. You can add details to each goal.
- To provide an avenue to promote the Wikimedia Foundation Projects in the local communities of Bicol through translations of the Wikisources.
- To support local Bikolano writers and encourage them to promote the Bikol Sentral Wikipedia through the usage of their materials as references in the Bikol Sentral Wikipedia.
- To build a strong culture of translation among the new contributors and editors of Bikol Sentral Wikipedia.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
- Downloading of the necessary promotional materials of the Wikimedia Foundation and other Wikisources relevant to the community.
- Inviting and creating a group of local translators and editors in the Bikol language.
- Collaborating with any of the Bikolano writers group and acquiring materials written in the Bikol language.
- Building an actual library of Wikisources, its translated versions and Bikol books for open knowledge access.
- Open-house activities for the local community to access both the Wikimedia Foundation sources and the Bikol language collection.
- Promoting the projects of the Wikimedia Foundation and encouraging the local community to be actively involved.
SPECIFIED TASKS (TIMELINE)
Phase 1: (30 Days)
Resources Identification A. The core group will identify the necessary collection suitable for the community where the library is to be situated. B.Planning and Division of labor to maximize resources and time. C.Short program to inform the community about the satellite library to be build.
Phase 2: (30 Days)
Community Collaboration A. Inviting old and new editors of Bikol Sentral Wikipedia. B. Encouraging translators to join the program C.Collaboration with the Bikolano writers group to ask for assistance in the translation process. D. Encouraging the community to use the open sources already available for downloading.
Phase 3: (90 Days)
Collection building A.Downloading of the identified collection to be translated B. Printing and binding of the materials. C. Purchasing of books from Bikolano authors. D. Seek for donations of Bikol published materials. E. Arrangement of the materials for public utilization.
Phase 4: (From the time the collection is ready until turning over to a new sponsor)
Promotion and usage of the collection A.Opening program with the community on how to freely access the open sources available in the library. B.Posting of flyers in public spaces informing the community of the existence of the satellite library. C. Evaluation of the program. D. Turn-over of the satellite library to the community.
1. What is your promotion plan?
You can do a campaign involving billboards or rickshaw announcements to promote a Wikimedia projects, such as Santali Wikipedia, at different places in a city. You can promote an online campaign such as Wiki Loves Monuments on Facebook, Twitter, etc using ads. You can also create gifs/slideshows or other easy to make multimedia files and use them to promote your project on social media.
- Encouraging new editors and inviting active editors to be in the group of translators, to will help in translating the necessary Wikisources and materials. Invitations can be done via social media platforms and posted printed flyers.
2. How will you let your community know about the promotion campaign?
Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions.
- By creating the necessary communications and activities in the locals and social media.
3.Do you have any experience in promoting Wikimedia projects either online or offline?
Were you involved in a similar project in the past? Do you have any other experience related to online/offline promotion?
- Yes, I organized the recently concluded #1Lib1Ref activity in the Philippines. Also, I am an active editor in the Bikol Sentral Wikipedia. Also, I have participated in several campaigns and projects of the Wikimedia Foundation (e.g. WikiGap, #1Lib1Ref, edit-a-thons).
4. What is your post-promotion plan?
What do you plan to do after your campaign ends?
- After this campaign, the collection built will serve as the offline access point of the community to the open knowledge sources. Both offline and online Wikipedia and other printed sources will be available to the community. The collection development will be continued through the assistance of the local government unit and other librarians here in the region.
5. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- As an active editor, and experienced translator, this may further my call to promote the editing and translating in the Bikol Sentral Wikipedia. Also, this program is my own way of initiating a call for the local Bikolano writers to write in their own dialect and to promote their own language.At the same time promoting the local writers through the free usage of the satellite library. Wikisources will also be available for the library users translated in the Bikol Language to help those who aren't able to access them online.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
- Number of new editors and translator = Not less than 50 people
- Number of Wikisources translated = Not less than 30 titles.
- Number of brochures, flyers and reading materials translated into the Bikol Language = Not less than 30 titles.
- Number of community users = Not less than 50 people
- Number of collections of Bikolano writings added to the library = Not less than 100 volumes
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- Imelda Brazal - Proponent, will oversee the over-all activities of the project.
- Anthony Baduria Diaz, as a member of the Bikolano writers group - Parasurat Bikolnon, Inc.,he will be the anchorage to other Bikolano writers, also, he will head the translations of materials.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- Computer Set | Rental of computer set for 6 months to be stationed as an access to Wikipedia and Wikisources and for translating and reproduction of promotional materials| 1 Unit| P 20,0000.00
- Data Connection | Temporary internet connection for 6 months | 1 Unit | P 10,000.00
- Office Supplies | Materials for printing and binding of translated materials (6 Months) | P 15,000.00
- Promotions | Activities for inviting editors, information dissemination to the community and other academe nearby | 4 Activities | P 20,000.00
- Book Purchase | Acquisition of locally produced books by Bikolano writers, books that may also serve as a reference for the Bikol Sentral Wikipedia | 30 Titles | P 15,000.00
- Contingency Cost | Logistics, meetings and unexpected expenses | P 15,000.00
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- This will be a library which is a first of its kind here in our local area wherein references and materials are anchored to an online resource which is the Wikimedia. Also, this is a perfect time for collaboration between the local writers and Philwiki Community to build partnership in terms of projects and events that promotes open resource and legitimacy of available information online. Kunokuno (talk) 16:19, 11 July 2019 (UTC)
- This will be of great help since local libraries are scarce in our community, much less those with collection in the local language. A physical library will also help promote editing, translating and other activities of the Wikimedia Foundation to those unreachable with online promotions. BiancaBrazal (talk) 05:40, 12 July 2019 (UTC)
- This is a great idea, since it is the first of its kind here in our local area wherein references and materials are anchored to an online resource, it is also a great help to improve languages and help to enrich it, Also, this is a perfect time for collaboration between the local writers and Philwiki Community as what Kunokuno said to build partnership in terms of projects and events that promotes open resource and legitimacy of available information online. I'm glad if it will be implement. -- ShiminUfesoj 11:58, 13 July 2019 (UTC)