Grants:Project/Rapid/DhanalakshmiKT/Editathons to bridge gender gap in Kannada Tulu Konkani Wikipedias
Please see the sample Editathon/Training application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Recruit new female editors
- Rejuvenate existing female editors
- Add or improve content related to women
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings?
- Gender gap in Wikimedia projects including Wikipedia is well known. Kannada, Tulu and Konkani Wikipedias are no exception. The ratio of male to female editors in Kannada Wikipedia is approximately 7:1 during the last 6 months period. Similar ratios will be found for Tulu and Konkani Wikipedias as well. We have initiated an informal group called Wikiwomen/Mangaluru to work towards bridging the gender gap in Wikimedia projects. We did conduct many meetups and editathons under the ages of Wikiwomen/Mangaluru. Now we are planning to organise a series of editathons, totalling to 5, at various places of Karnataka with an aim to bridge the gender gap. We plan to recruit new female editors, help to bring some female editors out of dormant state and add or improve content related to women. While our focus is on having more active female editors for Wikimedia projects, we also aim to have more content related to women. In the later endevour, male editors also will join us. We have seen from past experience of conducting many outreach programs and editathons, a theme based editathon yields better result. Hence here also we will be having theme based editathons. Three out of the five editathons are planned for the month of March to coincide with International Women's Day. The places and topics for editathons are-
|1||Udupi||March 03-04||Women in business|
|2||Moodabidire||March 17-18||Medicinal plants|
|3||Ujire||March 31 - April 01||Women dress and cosmetics|
|4||Mangaluru||TBD||Women achievers in sports|
The actual event pages will be created in the respective language Wikipedia.
2. How will you let your community know about the event? Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions.
- We will inform the community by multiple ways-
- Event pages
- Village pumps
- Mailing lists
- Social media like Facebook, Whatsapp, Twitter and local news papers
3. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event?
4. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- Some participants are expected to have the resources. We will be arranging the editathons at the computer labs of various collegs thus addressing the issue of equipment availability. Needy participants will be provided with neccessary trainings.
5. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
- The participants will be kept in touch after event though email, social media like Facebook and Whatsapp group.
6. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- While addressing the gender gap issue, this project also will bring some needed content to Kannada, Tulu and Konkani Wikipedias.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- Number of events - 5
- Number of participants - 125
- Number of new editors - 50
- Number of of articles created or improved - 60
- Number of repeat participants (for projects that include a series of events)- 75
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- Myself being an active Wikipedian for nearly 2 years, will be taking part in all the ditathons as one of the resource persons. I will train the new editors on basics of Wiki editing. Another expert and veteran editor Pavanaja will be leading the editathons. He is a well known writer of science and technology in Kannada, a known contributor of many articles to Kannada and Tulu Wikipedias, has conducted many workshops and given presentations on encylopedic writings, etc. He is also a sysop in Kannada and Tulu Wikipedias. He will guide the new editors on encyclopedic style of writing and orient them into Wikipedia style of writing.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- Here is the summary budget for the program
- Proposed budget
|Ser.No||Detail||Amount in INR|
In-kind support = 76,600 INR
Detailed budget is available in a Google spreadsheet here.
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- Support I support this Rapid Project. This is very much need .--Vishwanatha Badikana (talk) 17:27, 2 February 2018 (UTC)
- nice project for rural places and lead by a good users, thanks and good luck for yours efforts in gender equality related projects ★ Anoop / ಅನೂಪ್ ✉ © 17:28, 2 February 2018 (UTC)
- Support I support this Rapid grant project --Vinoda mamatharai (talk) 01:38, 3 February 2018 (UTC)
- Support. I support this project-Vchetans (talk) 02:23, 3 February 2018 (UTC)
- Support Dhanalakshmi has been working at the forefront of bridging gender gap in Wikimedia projects. She initiated the WikiWomen/Mangaluru for this purpose. I strongly recommend funding this project--Pavanaja (talk) 16:54, 4 February 2018 (UTC)
- Support I support this Rapid Project. This is very much need. I strongly recommend funding this project--Kishorekumarrai (talk) 05:39, 5 February 2018 (UTC)
- My endorse -BHARATHESHA ALASANDEMAJALU (talk) 17:36, 5 February 2018 (UTC)
- Support I support this project. Vchetans (talk) 11:43, 10 February 2018 (UTC)
- Support --Chinmayee Mishra (talk) 01:12, 12 February 2018 (UTC)
- Support --Janak Bhatta (talk) 09:41, 13 February 2018 (UTC)