Grants:Project/Rapid/Jamie Tubers/Ilorin Wikimedia Hub Bi-Monthly Workshops
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Jamie Tubers/Ilorin Wikimedia Hub Bi-Monthly Workshops
The Wikimedia community in Ilorin is proving to be a force. With the success of Wiki Loves Africa and the last workshop, it's evident that we need to start having regular meetups/workshops/editathons, as it will be expensive to bring Wikipedians from Ilorin to the meetups in Lagos. It's been decided to have events every 2 months, starting from the month of June. This will further ensure that local Wikipedians continue to get inspired to contribute to Wikimedia projects and we can also get the chance to recruit even more editors. This grant will serve the hub, until the Usergroup's annual grant is setup for next year to include all the local hubs.
targetWikipedia, Wikidata, Commons
start dateJune 1
end dateSeptember 30
budget (local currency)NGN 600,000
budget (USD)USD 1,969
grantee• Jamie Tubers
organization (if applicable)• Wikimedia UG Nigeria/Ilorin Wikimedia Hub
website (if applicable)• https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_UG_Nigeria/Ilorin_Wikimedia_Hub
Please see the sample Meeting application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Socialize with community members
- Recruit new editors
- Increase skills for existing editors
- Discuss strategic plans for the hub
- What is the purpose of the meeting and why is it important to your community?
- The purpose of these meetups and workshops is to enable Ilorin Wikipedians, most of whom cannot attend the workshops and meetups in Lagos, the chance to learn about editing Wikipedia and Wikidata. The new community in Ilorin looks promising and these events will be organized in order to keep the hub active and to inspire the Wikipedia volunteers who reside in Ilorin, as well as to recruit new volunteers.
- How will you let participants know about the meeting?
- There's a whatsapp group for the hub already. These meetups will be announced via that platform, as well as, on the mailing list and our social media platforms.
- How will you keep participants engaged after the meeting is over?
- Discussions will continue on Whatsapp and the available mailing list. Further clarifications on Wikipedia and its policies, will continue to take place through these platforms.
Note: In addition to your project-specific measures of success, you will also be asked to report on some Global Metrics at the end of your final report. Please keep this in mind as you plan, and we'll support you as you begin your project.
- Number of total participants for each workshop: at least 20 participants
- Number of new editors for each workshop: at least 5
- Number of articles created/improved on Wikipedia/Wikidata for each workshop: at least 10 articles/pages.
|S/N||Item||Quantity||Unit Cost (NGN)||Total cost (NGN)||Total cost (USD)||Notes|
|1||Venue||1||10,000||10,000||33||Heavily discounted fee given by space owners.|
|3||Food and refreshments||20||3,000||60,000||198|
|4||Backup Generator hire and fueling||1||15,000||15,000||50|
|5||Contingency and miscellany||1||20,000||20,000||83|
|5||Travel support for WUGN lead||2||10,000||20,000||66||Reserving cost for attending 2 out of the 4 workshops|
|6||Accommodation||4||20,000||80,000||263||accommodation for 2 nights, for 2 workshops|
|-||TOTAL PROJECT COST||600,000||1,969||**Forex rate used is $1 = 304.75, provided by the Central Bank of Nigeria|