Grants:Project/Rapid/Jamie Tubers/Wiki Loves Africa 2017 in Nigeria
Please see the sample Contest application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Add more images about occupations in our country and improve articles by integrating these images in their related articles or creating articles for non existing articles on occupations in our country.
- Recruit and train new editors through the various photo expeditions, upload sessions and edit-a-thons.
- Engage existing editors to contribute to Commons and other sister projects.
- Create awareness about the Wikimedia movement and its activities.
- workshop about the events and how to participate : in October
- Photowalks to gather random pictures on the theme
- upload sessions
- training sessions
- post contest integration edit-a-thon
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What content will the contest focus on, and why is it important to your community?
- The contest will focus on photo-shoots and uploads of images about the various occupations, professions and jobs in Nigeria. Some of such images will then be used to illustrate articles on Wikipedia. This project will also be a great opportunity to recruit more members to the Nigerian Usergroup from our new city hub in Ilorin. Furthermore, this project will further help in improving the content gap on Wikimedia projects, in relation to Africa.
2. How will you let people know about the contest?
- We will inform existing members through the Nigerian usergroup mailing list, amd members will be advised to share the information within their social circles.
- The Twitter and Facebook accounts of the Usergroup will be used to invite the public to participate in the Contest. Our social media platforms will also be constantly used to talk about the project and the activities going on.
- Marketing flyers will also be printed, in order to get people to attend the workshops.
3. How will you judge the contest and award prizes?
- We will have a jury, which will set criteria for best images and use these as a basis to select the best images for local awards.
4. For photo contests, what is the strategy to get images used on projects?
- We will have edit-a-thons to help integrate some of these uploaded images into existing articles on Wikipedia. We may also create new articles based on these images at the edit-a-thons.
5. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- The Nigerian community has been participating in the Wiki Loves Africa contest, since 2015. We contributed about 500 relevant images in 2015, over 200 images in 2016. These images have helped significantly in illustrating several articles on Wikipedia. Nigeria is not a focus country this year, but we still aim to do much more, and be able to upload at least 600 images.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
For photo contests:
- Number of participants: atleast 20
- Number of newly retained contributors: we hope to get atleast 5 new contributors to continue to make contributions, after the contest is over.
- Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons: atleast 600
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects: atleast 70
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- Human resources:
- ....and other members of the WUGN
- I will provide a mobile WiFi Hotspot
- Participants are to bring along their own laptops.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- Funding of the budget ($1,942)
|S/N||Item||Quantity||Unit Cost (NGN)||Total cost (NGN)||Total cost (USD)||Notes|
|2 Days of Photo walks/shoots|
|1||Vehicle hire||2||20,000||40,000||132||A vehicle will be hired for transportation of team during the 2 day photoshoots|
|2||Fuel for vehicle||2||10,000||20,000||66|
|3||Snacks and refreshments||12||1,000||12,000||40||Six participants for 2 days|
|4||DSLR Camera Rental||2||10,000||20,000||66||One camera will be rented for use in the 2 day-photoshoots|
|2 Days Upload Sessions/Workshops|
|6||Internet||1||20,000||20,000||66||1 unit to be tethered for the use of other participants|
|7||Food and Refreshments||40||2,000||80,000||263||Planning for 20 participants per day|
|8||Backup Generator hire and fueling||2||15,000||30,000||99|
|Other project costs|
|9||Contest prizes||3||-||50,000||328||1st prize = 30,000, 2nd = 20,000, 3rd = 10,000|
|10||Certificates for participants||20||2,000||40,000||132||Certificates of participation will be given to participants who attends both the first and second workshops|
|12||Compensation for coordinators||6||10,000||60,000||197|
|13||Contingency and miscellany||4||25,000||100,000||328||for the 4 days event|
|-||TOTAL PROJECT COST||1||592,000||592,000||1,942||**Forex rate used is $1 = 304.85, provided by the Central Bank of Nigeria|
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!