Grants:Project/Rapid/Sandeep Raut/Wikipedia Education Program in Biratnagar
Briefly explain what are you trying to accomplish with this project, or what do you expect will change as a result of this grant. Example goals include, "recruit new editors", "add high quality content", or "train existing editors on a specific skill".
- Recruit new editors
- Increase awareness about Wikipedia and its sister projects, such as Wikimedia Commons
- Encourage students to join the movement
- Create awareness about Wikimedia and the benefits of using Wikimedia projects as a pedagogic tool (Wikimedia in Education) i.e. to learn and to teach
- Build a network with community members
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. What will you and other organizers spend your time doing?
- We will be organising two events in the context of "Wikimedia and Education" in the city of Biratnagar, Nepal. During the events, will be teaching college students and the faculty about the basics of Wikipedia like reading, creating an account, editing and make the participants familiar with the Education Program. We will organize two events for students, lecturers of two different institutes. We will be teaching along with giving them assignments for better understanding and at the end, certificates will be provided on the completion of education program. We will organize two meet-ups so that we can plan (logistics, brainstorming ideas) the events in the most effective manner. This will also strengthen interpersonal relationships, to build a stronger foundation for the community.
How will you let others in your community know about your project (please provide links to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions)? Why are you targeting a specific audience?
Community will be informed through:
- Message on VP
- Phone calls
- Social media channels like Facebook, WhatsApp, Hangouts, etc.
Faculties and students from colleges and institutions will be informed through:
- Sending mails to colleges and institutions
- Phone calls
We are targeting a specific audience because students and faculties can offer their expertise in various subjects.
What will you have done at the end of your project? How will you follow-up with people that are involved with your project?
- At the end of our project, we will have trained 45+ students and faculty members about Wikipedia and its various projects. We will closely follow-up participants through social media, group chats, hangouts and email and their contributions in Wikimedia projects.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more specific to your project:
- Number of events: 2
- Number of people organising: 3
- Number of articles improved: 15+
- Number of participants: 45+ (minimum 20-25 at each event)
- Number of meetups: 2 (for community building, with already existing community members)
What resources do you have? Include information on who is the organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- The institutions will be providing free wifi facility and venue. Also, we have the following experienced Wikimedians as a resource person:
and, volunteers who will be supporting us for organizing the events.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense:
- Certificates to Participants: NPR. 3800*2 events= NPR 7,600
- Banners and Pamphlets: NPR 15,000
- T-shirt for Volunteers: NPR 850*5 units= NPR 4,250
- Plaques for participating guests: NPR 15,000
- Gift Items: NPR 15,000
- Transportation for Resource Persons: NPR 15,000
- Food and Drink for participants: NPR 18,000*2 events= NPR 36,000
- Stationery: NPR 10,000
- Meet up: NPR 25,000
- Communication & Miscellaneous: NPR 15,000
- Total= NPR 1,57,850
- Support - Good Luck! Best wishes. Kind regards, — Tulsi Bhagat (contribs | talk) 10:24, 16 April 2019 (UTC)
- Support - With best wishes. Janak Bhatta (talk) 08:29, 22 April 2019 (UTC)
- Support- Believe in the idea of education programs for expansion of movement. All the best to the team.-Manavpreet Kaur (talk) 05:41, 24 April 2019 (UTC)
- Support Seems like a good plan to kick start education programs in that area. I would suggest the grantee/project-lead to get in touch with education program leaders and make the best of use of online training resources. KCVelaga (talk) 08:23, 3 May 2019 (UTC)