Grants:Project/Rapid/Sherlock808/Philippines Climate Change Translate-a-thon
Please see the sample Editathon/Training application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
This is a series of in-person events that will focused on translating articles on climate change events especially in the Philippines using the content translation tool of the Central Bikol Wikipedia. This project will give more focus on the typhoons that heavily impacted the country's history and economic development. This will both help promote awareness of the climate history of the country as a guide for disaster preparedness and will also provide a good avenue of recruiting new editors and promoting Wikipedia to college and senior high school students.
- Recruit new editors and involve college and senior high school students in using Wikipedia
- Increase skills for existing editors and promote the use of content translation tool of the Central Bikol Wikipedia
- Translate articles about typhoon especially those that heavily impacted the Philippine history.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings?
- I am planning to conduct a series of whole day translate-a-thon. My target dates are January 16, 30 and February 6, 2021.
2. How will you let your community know about the event? Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions.
- I will send emails and letters to my friends who are SHS teachers and college instructors to involve their students in the translate-a-thon. I will also invite using FB Groups.
3. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event?
- I will invite experience Wikimedian to help me accomplish this event.
4. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- College and Senior high students are equip with computer-related skills. However, I need to support them by providing a venue with proper computer units and good display to be able to conduct a proper instruction for the translate-a-thon.
5. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
- I will invite them to continuously add articles about events and changes in the climate structure of the Philippines.
6. Are you running any in-person events or activities? If so, you will need to complete the steps outlined on the Risk Assessment protocol related to COVID-19. When you have completed these steps, please provide a link to your completed copy of the risk assessment tool below:
7. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- This project will also help promote the use of Wikipedia as a tool for students learning. I am planning to include the following guides during the event.
- Wikipedia:Policies and guidelines - an overall guide to editing Wikipedia
- The Five pillars of Wikipedia - important summary of Wikipedia's editing philosophy
- Wikipedia:Verifiability - what to keep in mind regarding the verifiability of information being added to Wikipedia
- Wikipedia:What Wikipedia is not - what Wikipedia is NOT, always important to keep in mind.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- Number of events = 3 whole day events
- Number of participants = 15 participants per day
- Number of new editors = 5 new participants per day
- Number of of articles created or improved = 50 new translated articles
- Number of repeat participants (for projects that include a series of events) = 10 participant may join again for the next session
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- Available resources:
1. Editing and translating skills of experienced Wikimedians to be invited 2. Printable guides from Wikipedia
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- Resources needing funds:
1. Venue (Rent of venue with computers and WiFi) = PHP 10,000 x 3 days = PHP 30,000 2. Food Allowance Lunch = PHP 300.00 x 15 persons = PHP 4,500 x 3 days = PHP 13,500 Snacks = PHP 100.00 x 15 persons = PHP 1,500 x 3 days = PHP 4,500 3. Communication Expenses = PHP 5,000.00 4. Tarpaulins and brochures = PHP 2,000.00 5. Health and safety kit (including face shield, masks, alcohol) = PHP 3,000.00 x 3 days = PHP 9,000.00 6. Documentation Expenses (Rent of equipment) = PHP 5,000.00 7. Contingency expenses = PPHP 5,000.00
Total: PHP 74,000.00 / USD 1,532.52
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- Strong support I believe this kind of contents is what lacking on both Central Bikol and Tagalog Wikipedia. I am proud of you making this initiative of improving contents while educating our community.