Grants:Project/Rapid/Swwiki workshop astronomia
Please see the sample Editathon/Training application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Add or improve content: prepare astronomy related articles of Swahili WIkipedia for publication as a printed Kamusi ya Astronomia (Lexicon of astronomy) by University of Dar es Salaam UDSM;
- discuss proposed revisions of the texts from swwiki prepared by members of Astronomy and Space Science Associaton of Tanzania (ASSAT);
- enter these revisions into the online articles of swwiki;
- enhance standing and image of wikipedia by getting a book of content taken from wikipedia on this specialized subject printed by Dar University in academic circles in East Africa (probably by much higher degree than Swahili Wikipedia actually deserves). A book will reach people in positions and age groups who in East Africa do not do much of internet research and and have mistrust in online materials especially wikipedia.
- sidegoal: introducing wikipedia and maybe recruit new editors from participating ASSAT members
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings?
- A 2- day workshop from Friday to Sunday
2. How will you let your community know about the event? Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions.
- via Whatsapp groups of Wikimedia Community Tanzania User Group and ASSAT , Jenga Wikipedia ya Kiswahili communication. Notification on Swwiki village pump.
3. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event?
- yes; members of Jenga Wikipedia ya Kiswahili user group and members from Wikimedia Community Tanzania User Group
4. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- yes. ASSAT members are presently working on revisions of the text of astronomy related articles in swwiki. All of them have studied various sciences and many work as scienc teachers on secondary school, some on university levels. Active Wikipedians add their edit experience.
5. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
- Once the manuscript for print is ready this project is completed. Wikipedians keep on interacting. As for the ASSAT members we take the chance that one or the other may come back; they will be shown ways to enter content on subjects of interest to them.
6. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- This is going to be a joint workshop of Wikipedians and members of the Astronomy and Space Science Associaton of Tanzania (ASSAT).
- Background: From working on the "List of articles every wikipedia should have" (being based in Germany, then Iran) and here doing the astro-related topics I have been for some years in contact with people who later founded ASSAT, mainly on questions of terminology. In 2017 I visited together with ASSAT some institutions in charge of editing dictionaries and schoolbooks to discuss inconsistencies in the use of terminology (like planet names; cf grant report for "2017 Building Swahili Wikipedia and Wikimedia community in Tanzania"). As result we were asked by University of Dar es Salaam (UDSM) Swahili department to A) contribute some terms for the 4th edition of the authoritative Swahili -Swahili dictionary and B) invited to prepare a small specialized lexikon on astronomy in Swahili. Since then I concentrated on creating astro-related topics in swwiki with support of ASSAT members, largely along the 10,000-list of "articles every wikipedia should have". This is presently the only collection of texts on astronomy in Swahili language.
- Since returning to Tanzania in March 2018 and getting another Go-ahead by UDSM we compiled a manuscript from existing astro-related articles on swwiki and asked ASSAT members to review the existing texts. The workshop will review the criticism and proposals and get the manuscript for UDSM ready.
- The text for the "astronomy lexikon" is a slightly shortened version of the swwiki-articles-texts (without footnotes, references etc) plus a selection of images from the commons pool as the university will be able to afford for printing
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- Number of events ONE
- Number of participants 15-25
- Number of new editors possibly none, hopefully 2-5
- Number of articles created or improved 300 to be checked and corrected online as needs, manuscript readied for handover to UDSM
- Success measure: once the manuscript is handed over to UDSM
- Goal met: Once they have the lexikon out. However this turns out (book publishing will require the University to get funds, so I have no control of their timeline) at any rate we have our 300 articles on astronomy online in swwiki. They attract presently 771 daily views (cf massview analysis category:astronomia) which is huge for a science topic in an African language. And these articles will be better after entering the corrections during the workshop.
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
Organisation by members of Jenga Wikipedia ya Kiswahili user group, with support from Wikimedia Community Tanzania user group; cooperation with ASSAT.
As ASSAT is working closely with physics dept of Open University of Tanzania we get meeting space and internet connection by Open University of Tanzania, Dar es Salaam Campus; content input and corrections by members of ASSAT (largely secondary school science teachers, some University lecturers).
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
The following budget estimated is based on an exchange rate of 1 USD = 2200 TSH
|Tranport guesthouse - venue
|Travel cost participants bus||12||7,000||2||168,000||76.36|
|Travel cost participants city||25||3,000||2||150,000||68.18|
|Travel cost participants inland flights||1||250,000||3||750,000||340.91|
|Overtime IT-technician OUT||1||50,000||2||100,000||45.45|
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- Great idea Czeus25 Masele (talk) 19:02, 7 August 2018 (UTC)
- Well, first I was there when it started. Secondly, I have my inputs, sort of. Third, it is happening in my home country. It will going to help my people and history will be written. To participate on this project would expose us the Swahili Wikipedia as community into Tanzanians world. It will also increase awareness. Wikipedian (Activist) 03:45, 8 August 2018 (UTC)
22.214.171.124 08:49, 8 August 2018 (UTC)
- Because it aim to add contents in swahili wikipedia Mtongori (talk) 09:53, 8 August 2018 (UTC)
- This is an excellent opportunity to showcase an African wikipedia to African academia. Also, it would enhance both quality and promotion of sw:wp which, as it stands, is the only online encyclopedia in Swahili. Thumbs up on all accounts! Baba Tabita (talk) 12:29, 8 August 2018 (UTC)
- Because it is very important to scientific growth of our people. Riccardo Riccioni (talk) 13:19, 8 August 2018 (UTC)
- I think this is a very good project of its kind to be done in Tanzania. Its impact will be great as it associates key figures (ASSAT and the University of Dar es Salaam) which has a well-known reputation. Generally, the project will raise the awareness and visibility of Wiki(m)pedia movements in Tanzania. Jadnapac (talk) 14:56, 8 August 2018 (UTC)
- Very good initiative. It will help people to converse in Swahili about scientific subjects, which is still a challenge to many, even in Tanzania. Many more such projects could follow. ChriKo (talk) 14:39, 9 August 2018 (UTC)
- An interesting new model of collaboration with academics, in a small but promising Wikipedia. The proposer is a longtime, dependable contributor, and the project aim is collaborative improvement of the content before gaining mass exposure for it. A good investment, in my opinion. Asaf (WMF) (talk) 20:20, 11 August 2018 (UTC)
- Contributor is a long-time Wiki(p/m)edian and a very interesting topic to get insights on this encyclopedia. I'm very much interested in the Lexicon part which as a result, the project can be used or say replicated by other Wikipedia communities that need it. Definitely worth the time and resources. Alangi Derick (talk) 20:30, 11 August 2018 (UTC)
- Excellent opportunity to promote one of our African languages.Modjou (talk) 20:43, 11 August 2018 (UTC)
- A very interesting idea. Sami Mlouhi (talk) 11:43, 19 August 2018 (UTC)
- Volunteer I would like to participate in starting articles on this topic Czeus25 Masele (talk) 19:01, 7 August 2018 (UTC)
- As a member of the Jenga Wikipedia and Swahili Wikipedia community, my presence on this project is more important than anything. I will be there!--Wikipedian (Activist) 03:41, 8 August 2018 (UTC)
- As a member of Wikimedia Community User Group Tanzania, I am in.Jadnapac (talk) 15:01, 8 August 2018 (UTC)