Grants:Project/Rapid/TRahman/Amar Ekushey Article Contest 2021
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Improve the content on Bangla Wikipedia, with a special focus on the articles on women’s contribution and participation
- Recruit new editors
- Engage existing editors
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What content will the contest focus on, and why is it important to your community?
- The focus of this contest is improving the quality of the existing articles of Bangla Wikipedia and at the same time recruiting new volunteers with a special focus on reducing the gap of content on women’s participation and contribution. In Bangla Wikipedia, almost 12% of articles are stub or extremely small. But these articles include some really important and fundamental topics. In the meetups and online discussions, community members have expressed their concern regarding the issue and they agree that a contest can help to minimize this problem. Previously, the "Wikipedia Article Contest" targeted at creating new articles in Bangla Wikipedia by translating the highly qualitative articles from English Wikipedia. The list is prepared by experienced Wikipedians. This contest became tremendously successful in terms of number of new qualitative articles and number of new active editors . The active editor number experienced significant growth in the time of contests (2017 and 2018: February-March, 2019: July-August). A lot of newcomers join the movement through this contest. This time, the contest will be focussing on improving existing articles instead of creating new ones.
2. How will you let people know about the contest?
- We shall announce the news of the contests through press coverage on various online and offline media, social media platforms, mailing lists, emailing the previous participants, banners so that we can ensure participation.
3. How will you judge the contest and award prizes?
Note: Grantees, judges, and other contest leaders are ineligible to receive prizes. Grantees who are serving as judges may not receive gifts through grant funding.
- The articles will be primarily reviewed by a team of experienced Wikipedians and finally judged by the organizing team (See below). Reviewers will primarily check whether the whole article has been translated or not. One can't review one's article(s). The organizing team (who will not participate in the contest) will finally manage the scores.
4. For photo contests, what is the strategy to get images used on projects?
5. Are you running any in-person events or activities? If so, you will need to complete the steps outlined on the Risk Assessment protocol related to COVID-19. When you have completed these steps, please provide a link to your completed copy of the risk assessment tool below:
- It will be an online event.
6. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- The history of this contest is really encouraging both for the organizers and for the community. This edition of the contest is also expected to continue its legacy by improving qualitative articles on Bangla Wikipedia and simultaneously having a noteworthy growth in the newcomer number.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
For writing contests:
- Number of participants: 150+
- Number of articles created or improved: 200+
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- Tanvir Rahman (Organizer, grant processing, coordinating the reviewers’ team)
- Ankan Ghosh Dastider (Organizer, contest page creation, answering to the queries, coordinating the reviewers’ team, delivering the prizes)
- Masum-Al-Hasan (Organizer, contest page management, answering to the queries, coordinating the reviewers’ team, delivering the prizes)
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- 1st prize: 5000 Tk. Gift voucher+printed certificate
- 2nd prize: 3000 Tk. Gift voucher+printed certificate
- 3rd prize: 2000 Tk. Gift voucher+printed certificate
- 4th, 5th prize: 1500 Tk. Gift voucher+printed certificate
- 6th-10th: 1000 Tk. Gift voucher+printed certificate
- Translating at least 3 articles: Printed certificate
- Translating at least 5 articles: 500 Tk Gift voucher (x 50 persons)+printed certificate for 50 persons = 25,000 Tk+printed certificate for 30 persons
- Subtotal: 43,000 (excluding printed certificate)
- Certificate+courier+envelope: 180 Tk x 120 pieces = 21,600 Tk
- Zoom subscription (1 year) = 18000
(Will be used for virtual prize-giving ceremony, meetups, and workshops throughout the year)
- Logistics: 5000
- Facebook promotion: 4000
- Token of appreciation for reviewers: 650 x 20 persons = 13,000
101,000 + 18000 =104,600 BDT
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- Support. — Meghmollar2017 • Talk • 17:56, 13 February 2021 (UTC)
- Support —MdsShakil (talk) 20:07, 13 February 2021 (UTC)
- 'Support'.-এম আবু সাঈদ (talk) 06:38, 14 February 2021 (UTC)
- Support —Yahya (talk • contribs.) 05:01, 14 February 2021 (UTC)
- Support - Suvray (talk) 12:46, 14 February 2021 (UTC)
- Support — Nafiul adeeb (talk) 17:45, 14 February 2021 (UTC)
- Support Usually we don't get much contributor but this will attract new contributor and help us to get new contributor & grow. আফতাবুজ্জামান (talk) 20:20, 14 February 2021 (UTC)
- 'Support' - ইফতেখার নাইম (talk) 04:07, 15 February 2021 (UTC)
- Support —MASUM THE GREAT (talk) 19:12, 15 February 2021 (UTC)
- Support — T@hmid02016 (talk) 06:28, 16 February 2021 (UTC)
- Support -- Regards, ZI Jony (Talk) 06:53, 16 February 2021 (UTC)
- Strong Support ~Moheen (keep talking) 15:13, 16 February 2021 (UTC)
- Support Hirok Raja 18:03, 16 February 2021 (UTC)