Grants:Project/Rapid/Western Armenian Wikimedians/WPWP Campaign 2021
Please see the sample Contest application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Improve Western Armenian Wikipedia content
- Invite new users to sign up
- Encourage existing editors to contribute to Wiki projects
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What content will the contest focus on, and why is it important to your community?
- The contest will be based on the Wikipedia Pages Wanting Photos (#WPWP) global Wiki campaign to help contributors illustrate Wiki pages and make them more reader-friendly and fun to view. It’s important to our community because Western Armenian Wikipedia has many pages that do not optimally utilize Wiki Commons databases of multimedia content.
2. How have you let relevant Wikimedia communities know about this proposal? You are required to provide links to on-wiki pages to inform these communities about your proposed work. Examples of places where this can be done include community discussion pages, affiliate discussion pages, or relevant project talk pages.
You may also provide information about external social media channels you may be using.
- It was initially introduced on the community WhatsApp group, after which a Western Armenian Wikipedia Discussion page was created, where Wiki users and editors were given the chance to vote.
3. How will you let participants know about the contest? In what ways will you be communicating with them?
For example, these can include on-wiki spaces, social media channels, mailing lists, messaging apps, or physical/online gatherings.
- The contest will be shared on our official Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram pages, as well as our weekly newsletter of 360+ subscribers and our community WhatsApp group.
4. How will you judge the contest and award prizes?
Note: Grantees, judges, and other contest leaders are ineligible to receive prizes. Grantees who are serving as judges may not receive gifts through grant funding.
- Judging the contest winners will not be difficult, as we will be determining the top 3 highest contributing Wiki users to the #WPWP campaign by asking them to use #WPWP in their edit summaries, which will then later be used for measurements using the Wikimedia hashtag search tool.
5. For photo contests, what is the strategy to get images used on projects?
- The images used for #WPWP will be from Wiki Commons, and they will have to be chosen based on the topic of the page and the usage of multimedia on the same page of other languages.
6. Are you running any in-person events or activities? If so, you will need to complete the steps outlined on the Risk Assessment protocol related to COVID-19. When you have completed these steps, please provide a link to your completed copy of the risk assessment tool below:
7. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- This contest would be the first of its kind that we at the Wikimedians of Western Armenian User Group would be organizing, and the first rapid grant we’ll be applying for. As a newly-established user group, we’ve been trying our best to increase the number of openly accessible knowledge to all users whose mother tongue is Western Armenian.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
For photo contests:
- Number of participants: 10+
- Number of new users: 3+
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects: 150+
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- User:Azniv Stepanian & I have extensive previous experience with organizing various edit-a-thons and Wiki editing workshops, which gives us the confidence to organize a #WPWP campaign for 2021. We will not receive support from anywhere else for the #WPWP 2021 campaign.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- Social media graphics design and general marketing: $200
- Social media marketing boost budget: $50
- Miscellaneous: $100
- 1st prize: Android Smartphone: $175
- 2nd prize: 500 GB Hard Drive + Newly-published Western Armenian Books Bundle: $125
- 3rd prize: 64 GB USB + Newly-published Western Armenian Books Bundle: $50
Total: $700 USD
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- Support I am User: T Cells from the Wikipedia Pages Wanting Photos International Team. We are glad to have the Western Armenia Wikimedians join the campaign this year. Please review the organizer's guide and Best practices in organizing WPWP Campaign in your community. T CellsTalk 18:59, 23 June 2021 (UTC)