Grants:Project/Rapid/Wikimedia TZA/Feminism and Folklore 2021 in Tanzania
Please see the sample Contest application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Add or improve Feminism and Folklore content on Swahili Wikipedia by translating the English articles from list into Swahili articles on Swahili Wikipedia.
- Recruit new editors to join us through this contest
- Engage existing editors to participate in this first time project in Tanzania
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What content will the contest focus on, and why is it important to your community?
- This will be a one month long contest on adding Feminism and Folklore content on Swahili Wikipedia by translating the existing list of English articles and other articles that may be added later depending on how quick the existing list is being translated.
2. How will you let people know about the contest?
- We will use our social media platforms (Signal group, facebook page, Instagram page and Twitter), Wikimedia Tanzania meta page.
3. How will you judge the contest and award prizes?
Note: Grantees, judges, and other contest leaders are ineligible to receive prizes. Grantees who are serving as judges may not receive gifts through grant funding.
- The winners will be judged based on 1.Quality of their translations 2. Length of the articles created/translated (number of bytes) 3.Quality of Wiki articles based on Wiki writing skills such as the use of images and categories.
4. For photo contests, what is the strategy to get images used on projects?
- For all articles that will have no photos the article writers will be taught to visit the Wiki Loves Folklore Wikicommons categories and urge them to use those photos to improve the Feminism and Folklore Swahili articles.
5. Are you running any in-person events or activities? If so, you will need to complete the steps outlined on the Risk Assessment protocol related to COVID-19. When you have completed these steps, please provide a link to your completed copy of the risk assessment tool below:
- The entire contest will be done online.
6. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- It will be the first time for the Wikimedia Tanzania community to participate in this annual global contest. We are excited and to join and we that antipate this project will be one of those that will help the community members to have more skills in engaging with Wikipedia and the Wikimedia movement in general.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more: For writing contests:
- Number of participants=Atleast 25
- Number of articles created or improved= Atleast 200
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- We have a team of atleast six active editors , event organizers and mentors.
- Antoni Mtavangu-Trainer and Project Manager
- Pellagia Njau-Community engagement faciliator
- Otto Nyongole-Online Mentorship Lead
- Clement Makangabila-Onwiki impact evaluator
- Elizabeth Joseph-Project moderator
- Aneth David-Online events facilitator
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- Awards 350USD (200USD, 100USD, 50USD gift vouchers for 1st, 2nd and 3rd winners respectively)=350USD
- Internet support to participants for the online calls, online trainings and during Wikipedia editing 10USD@25=250 USD
- Equipment rentals atleast 5 laptops for 1 week =450 USD
- Communication among the 6 facilitators & emergency,& Bank rates)=185 USD
- Logistics Transport 2@40USD = 80 USD
- Supplies(stickers, mugs,certificates)=65USD
- Souvenirs(gift) for atleast 3-5 judges who will be selected to judge the articles produced during the contest to get the top 3 winners)=100
- Online tools or services (subscription services for online meeting platforms, social media promotion): 100 USD
TOTAL: 1580 USD