Grants talk:IEG/Web Application to automate frequent tasks for Tamil Wikisource and Tamil Wiktionary
April 12 Proposal Deadline: Reminder to change status to 'proposed'
@Tshrinivasan and Kbalavignesh: The deadline for Individual Engagement Grant (IEG) submissions this round is April 12th, 2016. To submit your proposal, you must (1) complete the proposal entirely, filling in all empty fields, and (2) change the status from "draft" to "proposed." As soon as you’re ready, you should begin to invite any communities affected by your project to provide feedback on your proposal talkpage. If you have any questions about finishing up or would like to brainstorm with us about your proposal, we're hosting an IEG proposal help session tomorrow on April 12th from 16:00 - 17:00 UTC on Google Hangouts.
I'm also happy to set up an individual session tomorrow if needed.
@I JethroBT (WMF): Changed the status. Thanks.
This Individual Engagement Grant proposal is under review!
We've confirmed your proposal is eligible for review and scoring. Please feel free to ask questions and make changes to this proposal as discussions continue during this community comments period (through 2 May 2016).
The committee's formal review begins on 3 May 2016, and grants will be announced 17 June 2016. See the round 1 2016 schedule for more details.
Questions? Contact us at iegrantswikimedia · org .
Question 1: Why not a web application?
Thank you for applying for the IEG!
I am wondering why this should not be a web application instead of a desktop application? If AWB had been a web app from the beginning, this would not have been an issue. So unless there are strong reasons otherwise, I highly recommend this be a web application! YuviPanda (talk) 14:11, 1 May 2016 (UTC)
- @YuviPanda, @AddisWang Initially thought that it is tough for users to self host the web application, as it costs VPS. Recently learnt about tools labs and its features to host web applications, so that users can use it directly. Changed the proposal as a web application. Thanks. Tshrinivasan (talk) 21:24, 19 May 2016 (UTC)
Question 2: More details about the features planned?
The proposal lacks detail on what exactly are the features being requested by the communities. I would suggest the following:
- Specify the exact communities that are going to be benefited by this and have requested for it
- Specify the features that these communities want and why they want them.
AWB has a lot of features, so it might be better to write out this proposal like (for example) 'proofreading tools for tamil wikisource' or 'replacement tools for tamil wiki' than the more generic AWB. YuviPanda (talk) 14:23, 1 May 2016 (UTC)
- @YuviPanda Tamil Wiktionary and Tamil WikiSource are the communities that are targeted to build, use this tool. Mentioned this in the proposal. Added the planned features too. Tshrinivasan (talk) 21:24, 19 May 2016 (UTC)
Question from Addis
- Is that a GNU/Linux version or AWB, or a simplified version of AWB?
- Will you cover Mac OX in this proposal or in the future?--AddisWang (talk) 03:08, 15 May 2016 (UTC)
- Can be seen as simplified web version of AWB, but with specific tasks defined as features. As it is a web application, any OS user can use it. Tshrinivasan (talk) 21:24, 19 May 2016 (UTC)
Round 1 2016 decision
This project has not been selected for an Individual Engagement Grant at this time.
We love that you took the chance to creatively improve the Wikimedia movement. The committee has reviewed this proposal and not recommended it for funding, but we hope you'll continue to engage in the program. Please drop by the IdeaLab to share and refine future ideas!
- Review the feedback provided on your proposal and to ask for any clarifications you need using this talk page.
- Visit the IdeaLab to continue developing this idea and share any new ideas you may have.
- To reapply with this project in the future, please make updates based on the feedback provided in this round before resubmitting it for review in a new round.
- Check the schedule for the next open call to submit proposals - we look forward to helping you apply for a grant in a future round.