- The following discussion is preserved as an archive of a closed Meta-Wiki request. Please do not modify it.
Hello. I'm requesting translation admin access rights as it would be useful to be able to mark changed pages for translation for existing translated pages that I'm editing as part of my role as a member of the FDC (e.g., updating categorisation of the English versions, which then need to be propagated through to the translated versions), as well as more widely as a community member that edits pages that are globally relevant and are already in the translation framework. Thanks. Mike Peel (talk) 03:21, 23 November 2015 (UTC)
- Seems reasonable. Are you familiar with how to use the Translate extension? PiRSquared17 (talk) 06:22, 26 November 2015 (UTC)
- @Mike Peel: ?.--Grind24 (talk) 20:04, 30 November 2015 (UTC)
- Sorry for the slow reply, I was travelling. To be honest, I'm still learning the extension. I've read the example/documentation at mw:Help:Extension:Translate/Page translation example, and I did my best to implement translation at Grants:APG/FDC portal/FDC recommendations/2015-2016 round1 - I've subsequently tweaked the documentation  and noted with interest that the translate tag should exclude the large-scale formatting code (thanks @Jean-Frédéric!). I'm sure I have more learning to do, but I'm technically minded so I expect to pick the rest up fairly quickly. Thanks. Mike Peel (talk) 20:18, 30 November 2015 (UTC)
- Please do read mw:Help:Extension:Translate/Page translation administration as well if you haven't yet. --Base (talk) 19:26, 4 December 2015 (UTC)
- @Base: I'd read the first section, but I hadn't realised how much useful information was further down the page, thanks for pointing me to it again. :-) It does explain quite a few things that the example doesn't include, which is really useful. Thanks. Mike Peel (talk) 08:00, 9 December 2015 (UTC)
A weak Oppose from me I'm afraid Moving to Neutral. While Mike is generally an excellent contributor and translation rights are not a big deal, I see little use for them yet. Mike is monolingual, has no experience with the extension and generally, has taken an average of a week's time to reply/follow up here (23 nov, 30 nov and 9 dec). All those things combined are a concern for me currently. I should also mention that I trust Mike and know he is a genuine contributor, I would be inclined to support if he first becomes more familiar with the extension and shows a bit more activity in relevant areas. Given this request has been open for over 2 weeks with no support or much comment, I suggest he requests these rights again, when others here will also have a bit more of a cause to support. Thanks. Theo10011 (talk) 08:28, 9 December 2015 (UTC)
- @Theo10011: It's useful to be able to use the translation interface even as someone that mostly speaks English (although I have a bit of knowledge of French, plus C/C++/Python etc. ;-) ). Recategorisation is the simplest example, e.g., I recently created Category:2015 Community Wishlist Survey and added the English pages into that category. It would have been useful to be able to propagate that through to the other language versions through being able to re-mark the pages for translation. They've mostly been done by others now, but I'd prefer to avoid adding to backlogs where possible. The delay from 26th to 30th November was due to traveling back from the US. I have to admit that I simply missed @Base's question on my watchlist until today, sorry. I normally check my meta watchlist at least once a day. Thanks. Mike Peel (talk) 20:49, 9 December 2015 (UTC)
- Alright Mike, sounds reasonable. I'm moving my vote to neutral. Good luck. Theo10011 (talk) 21:26, 9 December 2015 (UTC)
- Can you mark one of the pages, which need to be marked, so I could know whether you can do this or no? --Ochilov (talk) 08:49, 9 December 2015 (UTC)
- @Ochilov: I've marked up Grants:APG/FDC_recommendations for translation at . Please let me know if I got anything wrong. :-) Note that most of what I expect to do would be focused on propagating through the mediawiki syntax on translatable pages, rather than translating new pages, though. Thanks. Mike Peel (talk) 20:49, 9 December 2015 (UTC)
- Mike Peel, seems good. The user knows what is his work about, so I do not see any reason, ehy not to Support his nomination. --Ochilov (talk) 05:32, 10 December 2015 (UTC)
- Support .--Grind24 (talk) 05:38, 10 December 2015 (UTC)
Done —MarcoAurelio 21:28, 11 December 2015 (UTC)
- The above request page is preserved as an archive. Please do not modify it. Comments about this page should be made in Meta:Babel or Meta:Requests for help from a sysop or bureaucrat.