Requests for new languages/Wikipedia Sylheti
|←main page||Request for a new language edition: Wikipedia Sylheti|
- The community needs to develop an active test project; it must remain active until approval (automated statistics, recent changes). It is generally considered active if the analysis lists at least three active, not-grayed-out editors listed in the sections for the previous few months.
- The community needs to complete required MediaWiki interface translations in that language (about localization, translatewiki, check completion).
- The community needs to discuss and complete the settings table below:
|What||Value||Example / Explanation|
|Language code||syl (SIL, Glottolog)||A valid ISO 639-1 or 639-3 language code, like "fr", "de", "nso", ...|
|Language name||Sylheti||Language name in English|
|Language name||Siloti||Language name in your language. This will appear in the language list on Special:Preferences, in the interwiki sidebar on other wikis, ...|
|Language Wikidata item||Q2044560 - item has currently the following values:
||Item about the language at Wikidata. It would normally include the Wikimedia language code, name of the language, etc. Please complete at Wikidata if needed.|
|Directionality||LTR||Is the language written from left to right (LTR) or from right to left (RTL)?|
|Project name||Wikipedia||"Wikipedia" in your language|
|Project namespace||usually the same as the project name|
|Project talk namespace||"Wikipedia talk" (the discussion namespace of the project namespace)|
|Enable uploads||no||Default is "no". Preferably, files should be uploaded to Commons.|
If you want, you can enable local file uploading, either by any user ("yes") or by administrators only ("admin").
Notes: (1) This setting can be changed afterwards. The setting can only be "yes" or "admin" at approval if the test creates an Exemption Doctrine Policy (EDP) first. (2) Files on Commons can be used on all Wikis. (3) Uploading fair-use images is not allowed on Commons (more info). (4) Localisation to your language may be insufficient on Commons.
|Project logo||This needs to be an SVG image (instructions for logo creation).|
|Default project timezone||Asia/Sylhet||"Continent/City", e.g. "Europe/Brussels" or "America/Mexico City" (see list of valid timezones)|
|Additional namespaces||Sylheti||For example, a Wikisource would need "Page", "Page talk", "Index", "Index talk", "Author", "Author talk".|
|Additional settings||Anything else that should be set|
We would like to see the Sylheti Nagari version of Wikipedia. Although there are about 17 million speakers of the Sylheti language only a few thousand can read and write in it. The script was withdrawn by the Bangladeshi government in 1971,more than 40 years later it is in decline. Reviving the script will help us to preserve the Sylheti language. If you could have a Sylheti Nagari version of Wikipedia this would immensely boost our efforts to protect the Sylheti language and script. Please consider this.
You should follow the instructions to create a test wiki on the Incubator here (specifically see this and this). Regarding the script: I think the Sylheti Wikipedia should allow writing in Bengali script, not just Sylheti Nagari. In fact, Sylheti Nagari seems to be only used in ancient times; it would be better to use a script that will be read by more people. I would recommend allowing contributions in either script and implementing a converter between the two scripts (not sure how practical it is for Nagari, but it's worth a try). PiRSquared17 (talk) 20:55, 12 June 2014 (UTC) sylheti nagri and sylheti language is dying.its getting impure with bengali words.we're desperate for saving our language.
Hello, I am in the process of creating a test page, and have added material there: https://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wp/syl/Main_Page
How do I change the name from "Wikipedia Sylheti Nagari" to "Sylheti Wikipedia"
- like all the Sylotian n u all guys , i hope the wikimedia community will be kind enough to grant the proposal. we want to see the "Sylheti Wikipedia" as soon as possible. otherwise our syloti language will be extinct once. so we should take the necessary steps to keep our language alive from getting endangered by the local bengali language. Abu Sayeed (talk) 12
- 58, 2 April 2016 (UTC)
- @Liuxinyu970226: yeah, its ok. thank you.--এম আবু সাঈদ (talk) 17:59, 28 August 2018 (UTC)