Requests for new languages/Wiktionary Rusyn
|←main page||Request for a new language edition: Wiktionary Rusyn|
- The community needs to develop an active test project; it must remain active until approval (automated statistics, recent changes). It is generally considered active if the analysis lists at least three active, not-grayed-out editors listed in the sections for the previous few months.
- The community needs to complete required MediaWiki interface translations in that language (about localization, translatewiki, check completion).
- The community needs to discuss and complete the settings table below:
|What||Value||Example / Explanation|
|Language code||rue (SIL, Ethnologue)||A valid ISO 639-1 or 639-3 language code, like "fr", "de", "nso", ...|
|Language name||Rusyn||Language name in English|
|Language name||русиньскый||Language name in your language. This will appear in the language list on Special:Preferences, in the interwiki sidebar on other wikis, ...|
|Language Wikidata item||Q26245 - item has currently the following values:
||Item about the language at Wikidata. It would normally include the Wikimedia language code, name of the language, etc. Please complete at Wikidata if needed.|
|Community||Engelseziekte (N), Gazeb (N)|
You can optionally list your user name if you are an active contributor to the test wiki. Add "N" next to your name if you are a native speaker of this language.
|Project name||Wiktionary||"Wiktionary" in your language|
|Project namespace||usually the same as the project name|
|Project talk namespace||"Wiktionary talk" (the discussion namespace of the project namespace)|
|Enable uploads||yes||Default is "no". Preferably, files should be uploaded to Commons.|
If you want, you can enable local file uploading, either by any user ("yes") or by administrators only ("admin").
Notes: (1) This setting can be changed afterwards. The setting can only be "yes" or "admin" at approval if the test creates an Exemption Doctrine Policy (EDP) first. (2) Files on Commons can be used on all Wikis. (3) Uploading fair-use images is not allowed on Commons (more info). (4) Localisation to your language may be insufficient on Commons.
|Project logo||135x135 PNG derivative from a decent SVG image (instructions)|
|Default project timezone||"Continent/City", e.g. "Europe/Brussels" or "America/Mexico City" (see list of valid timezones)|
|Additional namespaces||For example for a Wikisource which would need "Page", "Page talk", "Index", "Index talk"|
|Additional settings||Anything else that should be set|
The Rusyn language is an East Slavic language spoken by at least 600,000 people (mostly in Central Europe). It is an official language in the autonomous region of Vojvodina, Serbia and is a minority language in several countries including Slovakia, Poland, Hungary and Romania. The Rusyn language is codified and is taught in schools and it also has its own regulating institutions. There are a lot of publications in Rusyn (including dictionaries as well) and Rusyn radio stations exist, too.
A Rusyn Wiktionary would be an amazing gain not only for Rusyn speakers but for anyone having a specific interest in Rusyn. The Rusyn Wikipedia has already proven the existence of the Rusyn Wiki-community and its willingness to contibute. The existence of several written standards for the language might be an opposing argument, but the Rusyn Wikipedia has managed to deal with that and as of now, no observable problems have appeared.
Arguments in favour
- Support --N KOziTalk 05:32, 17 October 2011 (UTC)
- Support Fagusius 18:10, 19 November 2011 (UTC)
- Support, lots of speakers, if people are interested then why not? Ajraddatz (Talk) 19:37, 19 November 2011 (UTC)
- Support - If this would become a success, it would be a great source, because Rusyn dictionaries are quite rare. I'd love to have one! And frankly, the lack of one standardised orthography shouldn't be much of a problem here; if anything, it should be a problem at Wikipedia.rue, where it obviously isn't. IJzeren Jan (talk) 20:08, 2 July 2012 (UTC)
- Support Rusyn people can have in their language a WiktionaryNikosgranturismogt--Nikosgranturismogt (talk) 12:07, 16 June 2014 (UTC) 12:06, 16 June 2014 (UTC)
- Against This is not a language, but a dialect of Ukrainian 18.104.22.168 11:02, 1 January 2017 (UTC)
- Rusyn Wikipedia is largely inactive as a blocked user managed to have his sock elected as a sysop there without any reaction from local community for one month. Both proposers (Engelseziekte and Gazeb) who were also most active users in Rusyn Wikipedia are now inactive, both did not have their sysop rights renewed. Test project is completely inactive for years. There is no point in creating a Wiktionary for a language with half dead Wikipedia — NickK (talk) 15:43, 31 January 2017 (UTC)