This page is a noticeboard for current information regarding IRC, generally posted to by the Contacts.
- 1 New Group Contact
- 2 We are looking for a new Group contact
- 3 Wikivoyage and Wikidata
- 4 Resignation of User:Cbrown1023 as chair
- 5 Another Group contact
- 6 New Group Contact
- 7 New Group Contact needed
- 8 IRC Group Contacts Chairship handover
- 9 Developer needed
- 10 3 month review
- 11 All Group Contacts are now recognized by freenode
- 12 Group Contacts Rearrangements
- 13 Access restored
- 14 Present level of access
New Group Contact
We are pleased to announce that the new Group Contact is Snowolf (QueenOfFrance and Snowolf on IRC). After some deliberation, we have finally decided to choose Snowolf, as he is an experienced and trusted user and we think he is going to fit in the team nicely. We would also like to thank all other candidates for submitting their applications.
We are looking for a new Group contact
With only one active, one moderately active and one currently inactive Group Contact, our team could use some help from another active IRC savvy person. Therefore, we're announcing a Request for a new Group Contact. Interested applicants should send their applications to irc-contacts-ownerlists.wikimedia.org by the end of the month. Application should at least include:
- a brief outline of applicant's recent IRC activities,
- a link to the applicant's userpage,
- explanation why the applicant believes they would be a good asset to the team.
Wikivoyage and Wikidata
Today we got the ownership of #wikidata and also #wikivoyage namespaces on IRC. That means we are also able to give cloaks for those projects (wikidata/ and wikivoyage/). The request page has already been updated.
Resignation of User:Cbrown1023 as chair
Hello everyone. Today Casey resigned as group contact and chair of our group on freenode. He gave over the chair to Filip. So we are currently three group contacts.
Another Group contact
Hello all! We are very happy to announce that we just filled the last position for a group contact and this new volunteer is PeterSymonds (PeterSymonds on IRC). He is a very experienced user and IRC operator. We think he will fit great in our group.
On behalf of the group contacts, -Barras 19:03, 25 January 2012 (UTC)
New Group Contact
We are pleased to announce that the new Group Contact is Barras (Barras on IRC). After much deliberation, we have finally decided to choose Barras, as he is an experienced and trusted user and we think he is going to fit in the team nicely. We would also like to thank all other candidates for submitting their applications and we would like to apologize for not making this announcement sooner.
New Group Contact needed
With only 2 moderately active Group Contacts on board, our team could use some help from another active IRC savvy person. Therefore, we're announcing a Request for a new Group Contact. Interested applicants should send their applications to irc-contacts-ownerlists.wikimedia.org by Sunday, October 16, 2011. Application should include:
- a brief outline of applicant's recent IRC activities
- explanation why the applicant believes they would be a good asset to the team.
IRC Group Contacts Chairship handover
I’m not a very active Wikimedian at the moment (though hopefully someday I shall return) and so the time has come to handover my chairship of the IRC Group Contacts. I am ceding it to Casey Brown, but this is just a formality, and really it is both Filip and Casey who I leave in charge of Wikimedia’s IRC presence.
I imagine that they may well want to make some changes to how things are done on IRC and they have my blessing in this, even if I might disagree with the specifics. It has been a great pleasure to work with them both for the past few years, and with James F. before that, in running our IRC channels. IRC is not important, and it should remain unimportant, so I don’t expect most people to appreciate this, but it has been good to solve problems together and I think we all learnt a lot from the experience, and, hopefully, kept IRC useful for everyone else.
3 month review
It has been just over 3 months since the new group contact team was announced. Since then, we've been busy working on a number of projects; most of which are “behind the scenes”. It is important to keep a certain level of transparency to show that we are actually accomplishing things.
The role of the group contacts is to liaise with freenode's staff to ensure a good relationship with those that provide out IRC services, to help with the smooth running of IRC by encouraging good practices on the part of channel operators, to deal with channels left without operators, and to assign cloaks. They try to avoid getting involved in the running of individual channels.
We are available on IRC in the channel #wikimedia-ops and via e-mail: irc-contactslists.wikimedia.org for most issues, irc-contacts-ownerlists.wikimedia.org for matters in which you would prefer channel contacts not to see your posting, as this goes to only the GCs.
Our nicks are dungodung, kibble, Rjd0060 and seanw.
- Regular setting of cloaks
- Increased level of activity
- Communicate regularly with channel contacts
What we've done
- Created an internal mailing list to facilitate discussion amongst the group and channel contacts
- Surveyed all channels in our namespaces and recorded basic information
- Personally contacted all owners of primary channels in order to open a line of communication
- Manually set cloaks (since the end of July) while we wait for a new cloak request system to be developed
- Established requirements for and began setting mediawiki cloaks
- Held a meeting to gain community feedback (see log / minutes)
- Appointed a channel contact for the central Wikimedia channel operator channel (#wikimedia-ops)
- Lots of housekeeping with access lists (see log of public actions)
What you can do
- Please tell us if you find users abusing the Wikimedia name by causing trouble in other channels while wearing our cloaks. We are willing and able to deal with these users but can't hope to watch every channel on freenode.
- Come to our IRC meetings and bring up issues so we are aware and have more minds working on problems.
- Check the noticeboard for happenings.
- If you help manage IRC, join #wikimedia-ops and contribute to discussions there.
- Do not hesitate to get in touch with us by e-mail or IRC if you ever have feedback, suggestions or concerns. We will, at the very least least, point you to the correct person.
- We plan to continue our higher level of activity.
- Cloaks will also continue to be set on a regular basis and in a timely fashion.
- A new cloak request system is in the process of being developed.
- We plan to hold IRC community meetings on a regular basis, with the next one scheduled for sometime in November (watch IRC/Group Contacts/Meetings for further updates).
- We will continue to communicate with and rely on the channel contacts to inform us if there are any issues within their channels.
- We're here for support if needed at any time.
For the group contacts, Rjd0060 17:05, 20 September 2009 (UTC)
All Group Contacts are now recognized by freenode
As an update to the note below, Casey, Filip and myself (Ryan) are now recognized by freenode. For the Wikimedia IRC Group Contacts, Rjd0060 21:35, 11 June 2009 (UTC)
Group Contacts Rearrangements
|“||Wikimedia IRC community,
I am pleased to announce that the IRC Group Contacts team has been changed over to a new group with a strong manifesto. James Forrester, previously chair of the group, has stepped down due to real life commitments inhibiting him from being as active as he once was. On behalf of everyone who uses IRC I'd like to thank him for all the work he has put into the role, and personally I thank him for his guidance while I was deputy IRC Group Contact in fulfilling the role as best as possible; it was invaluable advice.
With James leaving the post of chair, I have taken on this role and I now have three new deputies:
James and I, with the involvement of these three and a small team of other IRC representatives and functionaries, chose these three as people we know and trust enough to be able to work with, and as users who we feel suit the Group Contact role well, and of course who have the time and motivation to carry out the job.
What is the role of the Group Contact, then, that I have just mentioned? We have set this down for ourselves far more rigorously than before. Over late 2008 to early 2009 the levels of service from James and I have been very poor compared to what is rightly expected by the community - we appreciate that things have been poor. So the new group has come up with ways of trying to engage with everyone involved in IRC more. We intend to try to touch base with our Channel Contacts significantly more often, first by encouraging them to join us in #wikimedia-ops (#wikimedia-irc has been closed and redirected to -ops to try and centralise discussion). They already do a great job but we feel they could benefit from greater support from the Group Contacts. We intend to be around more to be involved in discussions, but we are going to try and remain laid back in terms of using authority directly: the fact that power is delegated to channel contacts and their operator teams, we feel, is an important part of IRC running smoothly.
On a technical note, you may see the nick wmfgc around freenode - this is an account used to hold GC priviledges, since there are now many of us who may need access to it.
We intend to hold a Group Contact Surgery, per IRC Group Contacts/Surgeries, soon in order that issues from the community can be discussed with other IRC users and contacts around.
Sean Whitton User:Sean Whitton seanw on IRC
for the Wikimedia IRC Group Contacts
The above is in the process of being posted to the usual mailing lists. Please circulate. —Sean Whitton / 20:03, 11 June 2009 (UTC)
The group contacts now have control over these channel and cloak namespaces:
#wikimedia, #wikimedia-* namespace & wikimedia/* #wikipedia, #wikipedia-* namespace & wikipedia/* #wikiversity, #wikiversity-* namespace & wikiversity/* #wikispecies, #wikispecies-* namespace & wikispecies/* #wikinews, #wikinews-* namespace & wikinews/* #wikisource, #wikisource-* namespace & wikisource/* #wikibooks, #wikibooks-* namespace & wikibooks/* #wikiquote, #wikiquote-* namespace & wikiquote/* #wiktionary, #wiktionary-* namespace & wiktionary/* #mediawiki, #mediawiki-* namespace wikimedia-commons/*
Cloaks are now being processed as normal at last. —Sean Whitton / 17:18, 4 August 2008 (UTC)
Present level of access
At present (since January 2008), only the #wikimedia-* and #wikipedia-* channel namespaces are under contact control, and only wikimedia/ and wikipedia/ cloaks can be set. We are waiting on freenode to redo our paperwork with us so that we can fully control all project namespaces. —Sean Whitton / 20:41, 27 July 2008 (UTC)