|← Discussion pages||Wikimedia Forums||Archives →|
The Wikimedia Forum is a central place for questions, announcements and other discussions about the Wikimedia Foundation and its projects. (For discussion about the Meta wiki, see Meta:Babel.)
|SpBot archives all sections tagged with
Movement Strategy and Governance News – Issue 6
Movement Strategy and Governance News
Issue 6, April 2022Read the full newsletter
Welcome to the sixth issue of Movement Strategy and Governance News! This revamped newsletter distributes relevant news and events about the Movement Charter, Universal Code of Conduct, Movement Strategy Implementation grants, Board of trustees elections and other relevant MSG topics.
This Newsletter will be distributed quarterly, while the more frequent Updates will also be delivered weekly. Please remember to subscribe here if you would like to receive future issues of this newsletter.
Lien pour assister à ma défense de thèse via Jitsi.
Voici pour ceux qui le désirent et qui ne seront pas présents sur place le lien vers la page Jitsi sur laquelle je serai connecté lors de la leçon publique prestée dans le cadre de la finalisation de ma thèse de doctorat portant sur le mouvement Wikimédia. En espérant y retrouver certains d'entre vous, je vous invite à ne pas brancher ni votre micro, ni votre caméra sauf à la demande pour éviter la saturation. Les questions seront les bienvenues via le chat et seront traitées en fonction de la gestion du temps qui nous est imparti. Cela commence à 17 h 30 heure de Bruxelles. Une belle soirée à tous et peut-être à demain ! Lionel Scheepmans ✉ Contact (Fr-N, En-3, Pt-3) 16:48, 16 June 2022 (UTC)
A question on IPv6 addresses on CentralAuth
Hello, I have found 6 IPv6 addresses which have global accounts, they are 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6. All these accounts do not have any attached local accounts. Is it normal that they should be exist or they should be deleted? 18.104.22.168 05:47, 21 June 2022 (UTC)
- very odd. I suspect someone created the accounts accidentally, or as a test. However, they aren't doing any harm and don't really need to be deleted. MarcGarver (talk) 08:23, 21 June 2022 (UTC)
Update about Wikimedia Enterprise API project
I have just published an update about this project - announcing our first set of customers, as well as a new self-signup system - on the project’s talkpage. You can read the details there and ask questions. Associated press release and blogpost. The new system in includes free access for a trial account, on top of the existing free access methods. There will be a public community open meeting on Thursday 23 June @ 1700 UTC on Zoom which is already announced on Meta on the project’s page & the mainpage calendar. Sincerely, LWyatt (WMF) (talk) 16:12, 21 June 2022 (UTC)
Desktop Improvements update
- Making this the new default
Hello. I wanted to give you an update about the Desktop Improvements project, which the Wikimedia Foundation Web team has been working on for the past few years. Our work is almost finished! 🎉
We would love to see these improvements become the default for readers and editors across all wikis. In the coming weeks, we will begin conversations on more wikis, including yours. 🗓️ We will gladly read your suggestions!
The goals of the project are to make the interface more welcoming and comfortable for readers and useful for advanced users. The project consists of a series of feature improvements which make it easier to read and learn, navigate within the page, search, switch between languages, use article tabs and the user menu, and more. The improvements are already visible by default for readers and editors on more than 30 wikis, including Wikipedias in French, Portuguese, and Persian.
- The newest features
- Table of contents - our version is easier to reach, gain context of the page, and navigate throughout the page without needing to scroll. It is currently tested across our pilot wikis. It is also available for editors who have opted into the Vector 2022 skin.
- Page tools - now, there are two types of links in the sidebar. There are actions and tools for individual pages (like Related changes) and links of the wiki-wide nature (like Recent changes). We are going to separate these into two intuitive menus.
- How to enable/disable the improvements
- It is possible to opt-in individually in the appearance tab within the preferences by selecting "Vector (2022)". Also, it is possible to opt-in on all wikis using the global preferences.
- On wikis where the changes are visible by default for all, logged-in users can always opt-out to the Legacy Vector. There is an easily accessible link in the sidebar of the new Vector.
- Learn more and join our events
If you would like to follow the progress of our project, you can subscribe to our newsletter. You can read the pages of the project, check our FAQ, write on the project talk page, and join an online meeting with us.
- Join us on Tuesday
Join an online meeting with the team working on the Desktop Improvements! It will take place on 28 June 2022 at 12:00 UTC and 19:00 UTC on Zoom. Click here to join. Meeting ID: 5304280674. Dial by your location. The following events will take place on 12 July and 26 July.
We can answer questions asked in English and a number of other languages. If you would like to ask questions in advance, add them on the talk page or send them to sgrabarczukwikimedia.org. We hope to see you! SGrabarczuk (WMF) (talk) 21:57, 23 June 2022 (UTC)
An issue in Meitei wikipedia
I am from Meitei wikipedia (mni wiki). I want to become an autopatrolled there. I asked the only admin. He said he couldn't because he doesn't have the ability to grant the autopatrolled user rights to anyone. He said he's not like other admins of other language wikis because he became admin not by getting votes but from an approval from the meta wiki authority. Is that true? If so, how can I get the autopatrolled user rights in Meitei wikipedia if the only admin is incapable of granting it? --Haoreima (talk) 12:25, 27 June 2022 (UTC)
- @Haoreima: According to mni:Special:ListGroupRights, there is no such group. Note that not all wikis have rollbacker/patroller/autopatroller/etc. user groups; they are optional and can be created given that there are local consensus to do so. On the other hand, the smaller a wiki is, the less it needs extra groups. NguoiDungKhongDinhDanh 12:42, 27 June 2022 (UTC)
The Twitter account @WiktionaryUsers ("Writing on behalf of the http://en.wiktionary.org community") last posted in 2013. I gather the account creator no longer has access to it. Is there someone at WMF who can assist in usurping the account (by providing verifiable bona fides; and/ or a WMF email address) so that it can again be used? Andy Mabbett (Pigsonthewing); Talk to Andy; Andy's edits 14:49, 29 June 2022 (UTC)
- There is also https://twitter.com/Wiktionary which is suspended. The reason is unclear but it could be trademark issues. If that is true, I think it is something WMF can make a claim about as the owner of the trademark. I think WMF will have less say about the "WiktionaryUsers" account at least from the standpoint of trademark. whym (talk) 02:21, 2 July 2022 (UTC)