AvoinGLAM contributes to fostering and facilitating a global Open GLAM and GLAM-Wiki community for the promotion Open Access to cultural heritage. It acts locally to carry out these activities in Finland. Our goal is to make GLAM activities more inclusive, diverse, and equitable by expanding the scope of modalities, topics, and practitioners of cultural heritage, and addressing questions of ethical sharing. We promote creative collaborations and peer learning across the range of GLAM practitioners.
In 2022 AvoinGLAM will be supported by a Wikimedia Foundation Community Fund.
AvoinGLAM is an unincorporated group working with Open Knowledge Finland as the fiscal sponsor in 2022.
- Tove Ørsted
- Tuomas Nolvi
- Kimberli Mäkäräinen
- Kaj Arnö
- Maria Virtanen
- Aki Pohjankyrö
- Kristen Tcherneshoff
- Julia Brungs (in private capacity)
- Ranjit Menon
- Tuukka Hastrup
- Minna Turtiainen
- Susanna Ånäs, manager
Fiscal sponsor Open Knowledge Finland
- Tarmo Toikkanen, ED
- Mikko Lampi, chair of the board
AvoinGLAM Finnish community
We work locally in Finland by facilitating the work of cultural heritage professionals and non-professional practitioners in safeguarding and opening up cultural heritage. Our goal is to empower more GLAM contributors to take initiative in contributing to the open ecosystem and adopting Open Access strategies in their institutions. We look at different aspects of their challenge from their perspective, and promote the use of Wikimedia projects and open licensing as tools to manage digital transformation.
AvoinGLAM webinars and public meetings
Following the successful model of webinars organized in 2021, we continue arranging public webinars. These sessions can be directed to the Finnish or the international communities on a case by case basis.
- 25 January AvoinGLAM Open House
- 14 February 2022 AvoinGLAMin ystävänpäivän koulu: Wikidata tutuksi! Slides. Video recording.
- 15 March Miten tekijänoikeuslain muutos muuttaa muistiorganisaatioiden jakamiskäytäntöjä? Meeting to discuss the copyright law draft. Notes.
- 19 April Open cultural heritage, monetization and NFT. Recording. Blog post.
- 17 May AvoinGLAM Meetup IRL, GLAM Beers, F2F!!
- 11 August Wikimania Watch Party. Facebook event. Event page English and Finnish.
- 14 October Ethical sharing discussion at the Digime seminar
- December Case studies?
Copyright bill turns upside down in Finland
The European DSM Directive, that was scheduled to be implemented in EU member countries by June 2021, experienced a surprise turn in Finland. The draft presented in late 2021 was largely rewritten by a new team and with considerable balance shift from the reuse perspective towards the collecting societies' benefit. AvoinGLAM arranged a discussion event for sense-making within the GLAM sector.
Open cultural heritage, monetization and NFT
The theme of NFTs in museums sparked a global discussion. AvoinGLAM wrote a response to the blog post by the new director of the Finnish National Gallery, in which he challenged open sharing in the face of museums' financial challenges and in the favor of monetizing the collections using NFTs. The international GLAM community participated widely in both contributing thoughts to the blog post as well as participating in a separate webinar on the topic.
Boring bureaucratic meetings
Organizational meetings that are are open for anyone to attend. Running memo.
Community case studies
We plan to explore community case studies, small-scale experiments with GLAM institutions or communities, as a way to engage the community. We may also report a broader project as one of the case studies.
- Upcoming introduction to MEHI – project around Media Art History in Finland
- Ethical sharing. The upcoming discussion at the Digime seminar in October will hopefully launch a collaboration around the topic.
Public domain awareness in Finland
The new copyright legislation introduces the concept of public domain into the Finnish legislation. AvoinGLAM works in collaboration with Finna, the national GLAM aggregator, to advocate the GLAM organizations about changes in their sharing practices. The Public domain day webinar and a handout about public domain in English, Swedish and the three Saami languages in Finland will assist in explaining the changes. The handout will include a section about the challenges between public domain and Traditional Knowledge. The transposition is delayed, and we might also need to postpone the production of the handout and related program.
We continue the ongoing data import and enrichment projects and stay open for further initiatives as well. According to the objectives of the GLAM School project, AvoinGLAM will encourage GLAMs to take more initiative themselves in contributing to the Wikimedia projects and support them in the process. We can additionally match import projects with available resources in the Wikimedia ecosystem. Working with extensive data imports seems out of bounds for our resources currently.
- Saami place names project brings together a community of experts around place names, and Saami geographic heritage. Working further with Saami place names project will be integrated into the collaboration with the Finnish National Library project for making available the Upper Finnish Ontology in Northern Saami language. The Saami names have been imported, but the broader import and reconciliation of place names remains unfinished. It is a massive manual work that needs a stringer context.
- Finnish personalities is a common denominator for several import initiatives. We are looking into facilitating the import of the BiographySampo linked data repository. This import is also unfinished, and we wish to resume it more as a collaboration than our own work.
- The data about Finnish GLAM organizations can be made into a recurring small event directed at GLAMs, following an example seen online (cannot remember who...)
- Other interests include buildings data and its connections to Finnish authority data, data about the Finnish archipelago in OSM as well as in Wikidata, and collections data in GLAM institutions.
- New Wikidata property: Finnish real property ID to record IDs for historical buildings as well as current ones.
- Many of the above imports have been replaced by an initiative to work on Intangible Cultural Heritage on Wikidata. We have realized we cannot tie our resources to data imports, instead we must work to facilitate the work of different communities in conducting the imports themselves.
Saami languages and culture
We continue to support the production of open language and media resources in Saami languages and about the Saami culture. The work is carried out respecting the Saami communities’ interests and pace. Ideally, we can promote using Wikidata for tagging, engage more people in contributing to the Saami language Wikipedias, and co-develop best practices for Open Access to cultural heritage in the context of indigenous people.
- Partners in the project of the Finnish National Library for making available the Upper Finnish Ontology in Northern Saami language. Details about collaboration will be discussed in the autumn.
Working with the global GLAM community
GLAM School is a project by AvoinGLAM to chart out, uncover, and support practices that help GLAM professionals, GLAM-Wiki volunteers, Open GLAM advocates and others to be more empowered to contribute to Wikimedia and other open projects. As part of this, we encourage practices that promote diversity, knowledge equity, inclusion, and ethical sharing.
The work will make an overview of currently available learning resources for opening up cultural heritage and using open platforms, and propose structures and activities that are translatable and usable in different contexts globally. We will explore different modes of learning and exchanging knowledge, drawing from our experience in organizing creative co-creation events.
Our plan is to connect with existing Wikimedia movement activities for learning and teaching GLAM-related skills. We will also address professional GLAM communities outside the movement (eg. Europeana, MCN, GLAM Labs), volunteer communities in sister organizations (Creative Commons, Mozilla etc.), scholarly communities (DARIAH, HSSH etc.) and creator networks (Coding da Vinci etc).
GLAM School will take advantage of the GLAM coordinators' meeting, taking place in Prague in September.
Global Cine Club
- The Global Cine Club is on hold. The start of the war in Ukraine coincided with the proposed launch of the Global Cine Club, and attention was given to giving support to the SUCHO project instead.
We will establish Hack4OpenGLAM in its third year. It is not part of the Wikimedia Foundation Community Fund resources.
- 7 March 12.00 UTC GLAM Together! at Mozfest 2022 Recording. Miro board.
- 11 August 14.05–15.00 UTC Crisis and GLAM at Wikimania
GLAM Together! at Mozfest
We hosted GLAM Together, an extended workshop at Mozfest. GLAM traditionally stands for Galleries, Libraries, Archives, and Museums, but we'd like to see it transform into Global Languages, Art & Memory.
The session starts with three ignite talks that unearth different approaches to safeguard underrepresented, endangered and vulnerable cultural heritage.
Minne Atairu talked about her ongoing research into 17-year [1897-1914] artistic absence in Benin Kingdom by using Artificial Intelligence, Augmented Reality and 3D Printing to reimagine unknown objects – bronze heads, vessels, altars, texts or poems.
Mariana Ziku presented the activities she coordinates in the Biennale of Western Balkans and their annual community science programme Art Pluriverse. The programme uplifts intangible and natural heritage in the Balkans, empowering communities of practice by documenting traditional knowledge in open, educative and participatory ways together with artists and researchers.
Kristen Tcherneshoff concluded by discussing the language documentation and revitalization projects she coordinates as Programs Director at Wikitongues. Each year Wikitongues supports technical training and strategic guidance to start or grow a community language project.
After the talks, the participants will draft scenarios for collaborative work across different GLAM communities.
- 16 January 2022 The role of cultural heritage institutions in the public domain, 2022 Public Domain day in Nigeria. Video recording.
- How to make small and big histories come together?, Biennale of Western Balkans. Video, slides
- 11 March 2022 Presenting the use of Wikidata in the context of the Saving Ukrainian Cultural Heritage Online project.
Participation at events
- European GLAM coordinators' meeting, September 2022.
Advocacy & representation
The team members represent AvoinGLAM and Open Access to cultural heritage in committees and working groups in Finland and globally.
- Europeana Digital Transformation Task Force / Susanna
- Creative Commons Global Network Executive Committee / Susanna
- Round Table of Digital Cultural Heritage / Susanna
- Paikkatietoryhmä (National Geodata Group) / Susanna
- Time Machine Finland / Susanna via OKFI
- Finna consortium group / Tove via OKFI
- Finto steering group / Kimberli via WMFI
- Wikimedia Foundation Language committee / Kimberli
- Wikimedia Language Diversity Hub / Kimberli
- Free Knowledge Africa Advisory Board / Susanna
- Expert group for the content partnerships helpdesk, WMSE / Susanna
Round Table of Digital Cultural Heritage
The idea of the initiative is to create a platform for collaboration and knowledge sharing across Finnish GLAM organizations. The first year 2021 was hosted by the National Library, and this year the Finnish Heritage Agency takes the lead.
National Geodata Group
The geodata group of the Digime Information architecture working group has studied options for modeling historical geodata with an aim to produce a recommendation for the Finnish GLAM sector. We have participated in the discussion promoting compatible strategies with Wikidata and the use of Wikibase for the items.
Europeana Digital Transformation Task Force
Europeana launched the Digital Transformation Task Force to explore what European heritage organizations can do to improve their digital capacity. Representatives from all Europeana bodies and two independent representatives participated in the work, Susanna being the other one of them. Culture24 was responsible for coordinating the work. Two documents were published based on the work: 'Guide to Digital Transformation in Cultural Heritage' compiles the lessons learned during the work and 'Digital Transformation Report' provides background to the work of the working group. In addition to these, Europeana has produced an internally used document on the tasks required to implement the change.
- AvoinGLAM on Meta
- AvoinGLAM website has materials since 2012, but we are still recovering the old articles from backups after a site hijack.
- AvoinGLAM Twitter
- AvoinGLAM Facebook group
- AvoinGLAM Instagram
Communication has taken a larger proportion of time than what was anticipated for in the plans. We have launched a newsletter, that is mainly distributed in Finnish, but it also caters for some English-speaking subscribers.
- AvoinGLAM uutiskirje 10/22 Wikimania, Crisis & GLAM, Mediataiteen historia Wikipediaan, OpenGLAM-suuntaviivoja 22.7.2022
- AvoinGLAM uutiskirje 9/22: AvoinGLAM-tapaaminen, Finna ja YSO pohjoissaameksi, Avoin sisältö vs NFT, Hack4OpenGLAM, Wikidocumentaries ♥ EntiTree 13.5.2022
- AvoinGLAM uutiskirje 8/22: Open cultural heritage, monetization and NFT 12.4.2022
- AvoinGLAM uutiskirje 7/22: AvoinGLAMin vastine Kansallisgallerian pääjohtajan Kimmo Levän kirjoitukseen ”Tieto on teosta tärkeämpi” 31.3.2022
- AvoinGLAM uutiskirje 6/22: GLAM Together @ Mozfest 1.3.2022
- AvoinGLAM uutiskirje 5/22: Äidinkielen päivä, State of the Internet’s Languages Report, CC Open Culture Remix Art Contest 2022 21.2.2022
- AvoinGLAM uutiskirje 4/22: Tekijänoikeuslaki herättää keskustelua, Kutsu AvoinGLAM organisaatioosi, Wiki Unseen 15.2.2022
- AvoinGLAM uutiskirje 3/22: Ystävänpäivän koulu, AvoinGLAMin oma osio This Month in GLAMissä, Pattypan toimii taas! 9.2.2022
- AvoinGLAM uutiskirje 2/22: Wiki Loves Folklore, OpenRefine, saamelaisten kansallispäivä ja muuta 3.2.2022
- AvoinGLAM uutiskirje 1/22: AvoinGLAMin ankea uutiskirje 28.1.2022
- The newsletter archive on the AvoinGLAM blog
- Subscribe to the newsletter!
- This Month in GLAM 1/22
- This Month in GLAM 2/22
- This Month in GLAM 4/22
- 31 March 2022 AvoinGLAM’s response to the writing of Kimmo Levä, Director General of the Finnish National Gallery, Medium.
- 1 April 2022 AvoinGLAMin vastine Kansallisgallerian pääjohtajan Kimmo Levän kirjoitukseen Tieto on teosta tärkeämpi, avoinglam.fi.
- 5 April 2022 Open Access to cultural heritage, monetization, and NFT, avoinglam.fi.
- 6 April 2022 Avoin kulttuuriperintö, monetisointi ja NFT, avoinglam.fi