From Meta, a Wikimedia project coordination wiki
(Redirected from Wikicode)
|This page is a proposal for a new Wikimedia Foundation Sister Project.|
|What is the proposed name for the project?||WikiCode (can be changed)|
|Proposed project tagline (if available)||The free coding project|
What is the project purpose? What will be its scope? How would it benefit to be part of Wikimedia?
|The idea of WikiCode is to enable programmers to share code with each other, such that documentation and even the code itself can be continually improved, on an instantaneous basis like a wiki article, dispensing with restrictive (but secure and orderly) check-in/out and edit-authorization procedures of repositories like GitHub or SourceForge. Other goals are: independence of any particular programming language; and ideally, independence of any particular human language (native language of programmer). For example, a hosted routine in FORTRAN code in the English section could be quickly converted into Ada in Spanish, BASIC in Portuguese, C++ in French, and other such combinations, simply by changing the language selectors. The code itself (or at least its function) would remain the same across the different transformations. The projects and proposals below represent steps toward these still-lofty goals.|
|How many wikis?
Will there be many language versions or just on one multilingual wiki?
|How many languages?
Is the project going to be in one language or in many?
|The interface will be multilingual, the lingua franca is English and in some projects the particular language can be the working language.|
|Proposed project website address||wikicode.org (already taken)|
|Proposed logo for the project (if available)||not designed yet|
If the project requires any new features that the MediaWiki software currently doesn't have, please describe in detail. Are additional MediaWiki extensions needed for the project?
- Johan R (Sweden)
- V60 VMTalk · VMake
- Yes0song (w:ko:)
- Chris Grant
- EVula // talk
- Ajraddatz (Talk) 00:19, 22 January 2011 (UTC)
- ★ → Airon 90
- Gabrielchihonglee (talk)
- Zhuyifei1999 (talk)
- Eduardofeld (talk) 03:04, 29 March 2015 (UTC)
- Popcorndude (talk) 02:33, 20 August 2015 (UTC)
- Literate Programs - "every article is simultaneously a document and a piece of code that you can view, download, compile, and run..." -- available in multiple programming-languages.
- Rosetta Code - a repository of site-requested code examples, all made by visitors in the programming language they chose.
- Code Wikia serves as a digital reference guide for both new and experienced programmers - focus is on simple code comparison.
- Code Codex - shared online sourcecode repository using MediaWiki