Wikimedia New York City
- Email: wm-nyc wikimedia.org
- Mailing list: Wikimedia NYC area mailing list
- Website: Wikimedia NYC Website
- Social media:
- Donations: Bitcoin and PayPal accepted, visit our main donation page for more information.
If you do not live in New York City, you may still participate in this chapter's projects and meetings online. If you live in or near New York City, you are welcome to join this chapter's projects and meetings in person. Feel free to ask questions on the talk page then join the mailing list to start receiving news about events and to participate in discussions.
Partnerships / initiatives
Wikimedia NYC organizes various events. Everyone is invited to attend. See our Friendly space policy for a description of our welcoming practices.
- Wikimania -- July
- Wiknic -- Summer
- Wiki Loves Monuments -- see Wiki Loves Monuments -- September
- WikiConference USA -- Fall
- Wikipedia Loves Libraries -- last full week of October
- Open Access Week -- part of Wikipedia Loves Libraries
Every month there is a salon in which people in New York City meet in person to discuss Wikipedia topics. See past events here.
Campus ambassador program
Wikimedia New York City sends campus ambassadors to schools to do Wikipedia outreach.
- en:Wikipedia:Meetup/NYC/Medicine October 2013
- en:Education Program:Harvard University/Obgyn bootcamp (April 2014)
Wikipedians-in-Residence programs supporting institutional partnerships:
Wikipedian-in-Residence @ Metropolitan New York Library Council: Dorothy Howard
- Wikipedian-in-Residence @ Consumer Reports: Lane Rasberry
- see also: WikiProject Consumer Reports
- Wikipedian-in-Residence @ New York Public Library for the Performing Arts: David Goodman
On September 7, 2007 there was an early draft proposal to establish a New York City-based Wikimedia chapter.
The chapter was incorporated as Wikimedia New York City, Inc. in New York State on July 7, 2009 as a not-for-profit corporation. It later received its 501(c)(3) determination from the Internal Revenue Service on December 22, 2011, retroactively to the date of incorporation. The Chapters Committee of the Wikimedia Foundation recognizes this group as an official chapter.
Budget and financial history are at Wikimedia New York City/Finances.
The original incorporators signed our non-profit charter in March 2009.
We're working with pioneering regional neighbors throughout the Northeast US, and hope to cooperate with them and other US chapters in future through a Wikimedia United States Chapters Council. We're also working with more local partners through the Free Culture Alliance NYC umbrella group.
Since August 2007, the New York City meetups have been held on a roughly bimonthly schedule.
The current board was elected at the annual chapter meeting on September 26, 2018. Officers will be appointed by the Board at a future date. Officers from the previous year will remain in their positions until that time.
- President: Megan Wacha Megs
- Treasurer: Peter Hess Becksguy
- Secretary: Jeremy Baron Jeremyb (non-board position)
- Vice president: Vacant
For a list of other participants on meta, please see Wikimedia New York City/Participants.