Wikipedians of Goa User Group
Introduction: Affiliation is being sought for a Wikimedia User Group Goa. Located on the west coast, Goa is the smallest State in India (population 1.6 million, area 3700 sq km), with an unusual past. It was a Portuguese colony for four and half centuries. Even prior to Portuguese times, it has been a meeting centre for cultures, a trading port, and more. Hence it has a rich and interesting history. Among other things, it has a very rich archive, whose documents are connected with many parts of the world, including East Africa, West Asia, and Far East Asia, covering regions from Mozambique to Ormuz to Macau. Keeping this in mind, the proposed Wikimedia User Group Goa aims to be an open group, welcoming all languages and people of all cultures, infact anyone who could add to the content from and about Goa.
- To build content related to Goa, in all possible languages and in as many diverse Wikipedias as possible.
- To build the available pool of sharable text and also photos connected to Goa.
- To encourage more people to contribute to the sharable pool of knowledge in Goa and beyond.
- To conduct Wikipedia-related trainings, including online, for newbies especially in Goa.
- To reach out to as many people interested in creating content on Goa, in all its diverse forms.
- To hold occasional Wikipedia/Wikimedia and other related events in Goa.
- To build a WhatsApp group (already launched) which shares ideas and info on this. See next para.
- To help build and sustain the Konkani Wikipedia 
- WhatsApp online group to share ideas, inspiration and build Goa-related content (to join contact +91-9822122436)
- Two face-to-face meetings held in October and November 2018 in Panjim, Goa.
- @The Discoverer and others have been able to activate Konkani Wiktionary (under incubation)
- Video, voice and phone chats have been held among interested members.
- Collaborations to build content related to Goa is underway and continuing.
- Attempt to re-build networks of former Konkani Wikipedia volunteers.
- Konkani Village Pump (Tinto):  has kept track of some issues.
- This is still a nascent group very open to building ideas and initiatives.
The WGUG (Wikipedians of Goa User Group) welcomes all interested in promoting Goa-related content on any of the Wikipedias (including, and especially, the Konkani Wikipedia). There will be no charges for membership. All members will need to follow the rules set in place by the community at any given point of time, for the smooth running of the community. Basically two firm rules (i) no off-topic posts and (ii) no rudeness in discussions or postings. To join the WGUG, leave a note for any of the persons mentioned alongside. Or contact us via WhatsApp (+91-9822122436), and we'll add you to the group which has been fairly active and helpful over recent months.
- 2009: Konkani Wikipedia proposed. Launched in incubation.
- 2012-13-14: Workshops and trainings held in Goa by Wikipedia, CIS, etc.
- Class of 2013-14 (Goa Univ, Konkani) takes an active role in building Konkani Wikipedia.
- 2015: http://gom.wikipedia.org goes live.
- Around this time, the Konkani Vishwakosh (Encyclopedia) is donated to the Commons by the Goa University.
- Training programmes held at Nirmala Institute of Education, a teacher training centre in Panjim.
- Till recently: difficulties and challenges for a small group to build content.
- 2018: WhatsApp network launched.
- 2018: The Discoverer takes initiative to build the Konkani Wiktionary.
- Since 2018: promotion of more Goa-related translations across languages, as a means to build Goa content.
- WGUG is planning photo-walks in 2019 to boost Goa-related images on the Wikipedia.
- WGUG is working to organise mini-trainings for language-based academies in Goa, to encourage sharing of content via the Wikipedias in varied languages.
- WGUG holds occasional meetings at the Central Library, Panjim, or at other venues. Please see the Konkani Wikipedia 'Tinto' (village pump) for announcements.
- Attempting to build traction enough to enable Konkani Wiktionary to grow out of incubation.
- Currently (as of April 2019), this network coordinates its activities also through a WhatsApp groups, which helps for speedy communication. See details in next para.
- --Fredericknoronha (talk) 10:42, 27 April 2019 (UTC) (fredericknoronha2 at gmail.com) or +91-9822122436. We welcome you to our WhatsApp network via the earlier number. At the time of suggesting its formation, the WGUG has among its active members [@The Discoverer] (Administrator of the Konkani Wikipedia), Fr Luis Gomes (Administrator of the Konkani Wikipedia), Darshan Kandolkar and Isidore Dantes1 (active translator from Konkani to English, who has also released under the Creative Commons a English-Konkani dictionary he co-authored with the late Joel D'Souza). There are many others who have contributed to the Konkani Wikipedia, and Wikipedia posts in general on Goa, especially students of Goa University (Konkani Department) and Nirmala Institute of Education (a teachers' training college) between 2012 and date, the very determined network Hariette Vidyasagar and others. All are welcome and invited to be part of this venture, though certain criteria (in term of volunteering on the Wikipedia/Wikimedia, etc) might be set in place as criteria for membership and/or elections. Please add your names here. Or if you know someone who has been active earlier, and might be willing to rejoin and be active once again, kindly point them to this page.
Interested in participating
- With other language groups having a common interest in Goa issues (Portuguese, Marathi, Kannada, Hindi, etc).
- In Wikipedia-related events in India especially.
- Joining in edit-a-thons, contests, etc of relevance and interest to Goa.
- In joining or building photo events related to Goa.
- Working with WikiSource groups that might have digitised documents of shared interest (e.g. Portuguese).
- Participating in multi-lingual South Asian Wikipedia events.
List of members and interested users
In alphabetical order
- @Darshan kandolkar
- @Fredericknoronha --Fredericknoronha (talk) 10:55, 27 April 2019 (UTC)
- @Isidore Dantas1
- @Konknni Mogi 24
- @SerTanmay -- SerTanmay (talk) 14:59, 28 April 2019 (UTC)
- @The Discoverer
- @JadeMaveric -- JadeMaveric (talk) 18:15, 27 April 2019 (UTC)
- @Iamvardhana --Iamvardhana (talk) 09:02, 28 April 2019 (UTC)
- Nikhil Kawale Nikhil.kawale (talk) 18:05, 5 October 2019 (UTC)