Wikiquote is a multilingual online open-content compendium of quotations. All content but copyrighted quotations is released under the GFDL and CC-BY-SA in the same manner as other Wikimedia Foundation projects.
a proposed idea: Wikiquotionary an Encyclopedia of Quotes. The temp page can be found here – fonzy.
It started as quote.wikipedia.org on July 10, 2003 and later got its own domain, wikiquote.org on August 25, 2003.
Wikiquote had quotations with over 2,500 articles in six languages in June 2004, one year after its first proposal under the domain wikiquote.org. Some language-speakers other than English requested their own subdomain and on July 17, they were created, starting Wikiquotes in languages like German, French, Italian and Polish.
The Wikiquote project is expanding slowly but steadily. At the end of September there were about 15 Wikiquotes, both large and small. On December 1, there were 24 Wikiquote projects. There were almost 6,500 articles in total in December 2004. At the end of May 2005 the total number of articles reached 14,000. It included nearly 30,000 articles in over 30 languages in February 2006, over 60,000 articles in 87 languages in May 2007 and over 80,000 articles in 89 languages in June 2008.
Since the last update of June 2008, the number of languages has remained stable, while the number of articles has doubled. As of 10 May 2014, about eleven years after its creation, the Wikiquote project now includes over 168,000 articles in 89 languages. Twenty-eight language versions have more than 1,000 articles. Fifty-six language versions have 100 or more articles.
The largest Wikiquotes are Italian and English, with over 48,000 and 46,000 articles respectively. Third is Polish Wikiquote, with more than 24,000 articles.
Sometimes the Wikiquote project faces troubles and challenges. One of the most remarkable challenges was copyright issues on the French Wikiquote. To avoid problems, on March 2006 the Foundation decided to take it down, erase all its material and relaunch it. For details, see the announcement from the Foundation.
However, devoted editors rescued the situation. They settled their charter and polices, and French Wikiquote was relaunched on December 4, 2006.
Table transcluded from Wikiquote/Table.
Recommended article-count milestones are 100, 500, 1k, 2k, 5k increments to 50k, 10k increments to 100k, 25k increments to 250k, 50k increments to 500k, and 100k increments to 1000k.
Reporting to Wikimedia News is also recommended.
Past milestones can be found in the archives.
- December 3, 2022
- 10,000 articles – Portuguese Wikiquote
- October 18, 2022
- 5,000 articles – Esperanto Wikiquote
- October 10, 2022: Four new Wikiquotes were created
- July 2, 2022
- 1,000 articles – Sakha Wikiquote
- January 15, 2022
- 1,000 articles – Japanese Wikiquote
- December 6, 2020
- 5,000 articles – Hebrew Wikiquote
- November 18, 2019
- 2,000 articles – Croatian Wikiquote
- October 1, 2015
- 2,000 articles – Catalan Wikiquote
- February 13, 2015
- 20,000 articles – Italian Wikiquote
- February 2, 2015
- 1,000 articles – Armenian Wikiquote
- August 22, 2013
- A Rhine Franconian Wikiquote has been created as separate namespace within Rhine Franconian Wikipedia: Rheifränggische Schbrischsommlung (Wikiquote)
- May 28, 2013
- 1,000 articles – Catalan Wikiquote
- February 4, 2013
- 2,000 articles – Ukrainian Wikiquote
- January 4, 2013
- A Bavarian Wikiquote has been created as separate namespace within Bavarian Wikipedia: Boarische Sprich (Wikiquote)
- August 14, 2012
- 15,000 articles – Italian Wikiquote
- July 6, 2012
- 1,000 articles – Limburgish Wikiquote
- November 14, 2010
- 1,000 articles – Swedish Wikiquote
- October 19, 2010
- 500 articles – Limburgish Wikiquote
- May 2010
- 10,000 articles – Polish Wikiquote
- March 21, 2010
- 10,000 articles – Italian Wikiquote
- February 26, 2010
- February, 2010
- Wikiquote has over 100,000 articles in total. Not known when the milestone has reached.
- October – November 2009
- 1,000 articles – Ukrainian Wikiquote
- October 8, 2009
- Alemannic Wikiquote reached 500 quotes, collected on 3 pages
- An Alemannic Wikiquote has been created as separate namespace within Alemannic Wikipedia: Alemannischi Spruchsammlig (Wikiquote).
- September 10, 2009
- 500 articles – Armenian Wikiquote
- August – September 2009
- 1,000 articles – Persian Wikiquote
- August 20, 2009
- 1,000 articles – Greek Wikiquote
If you want to launch a Wikiquote project in your favorite language, you can request it, filling some requirements. See Requests for new languages for further information.
Most of language projects of Wikiquote have its discussion place on their wikis. If it is hard for you to find it, try talk:Main Page on each wiki.
The global Wikiquote community utilizes some communication channels.
- Wikiquote Requests and proposals
- Administrators of Wikiquotes
- WWW (International Portal settings)
- Statistics of articles without interwiki
- Milestones logo suggestions (on Wikimedia Commons)