Community Wishlist Survey 2017/Multimedia and Commons/Audio/video review tool (for mp3s especially)
The survey has concluded. Here are the results!
- Problem: The Commons community recently enabled MP3 uploads and next year will be considering whether or not to allow MPEG-2 video uploads. Commons is also currently dealing with a piracy problem (task T129845) and has always had to deal with large amount of copyright violations. The Commons community has never been equipped with effective tools for reviewing new uploads, especially audio and video uploads which are tedious to review and more difficult to identify copyright violations for. Allowing MP3 and MPEG-2 uploads will make this an even more pressing problem.
- Who would benefit: The Commons community would benefit by having better tools to review and curate their content. Commons users would benefit by having less restrictions on uploading (in the long run) and access to more multimedia content.
- Proposed solution: The Community Tech team should build a tool similar to CopyPatrol or New Pages Feed, but specifically for reviewing audio and video uploads. The tool should use both internal rules and 3rd party APIs to automatically flag files that are likely to be copyright violations (for example, matching the audio or video signatures of known commercial files, being over a certain size, receiving an abnormal amount of requests, etc.). It should then allow trusted Commons users to easily nominate the files for deletion and remove them from the review queue.
- More comments: task T167815 is related
- Phabricator tickets: task T132650
- Translations: none yet
- Translations: none yet
Unambiguous cases could already be caught during the upload procedure. E.g. we could refuse files like exact duplicates or with known bad hash values right away. This was a proposal here some years ago. What happened to that?..--Reseletti (talk) 22:32, 9 November 2017 (UTC)
file_sha1was added to Abuse filter in April 2016. Last time I checked, Commons is blocking 150+ known bad hashes. Dispenser (talk) 01:33, 17 November 2017 (UTC)
- Support Tgr (talk) 09:13, 28 November 2017 (UTC)
- Support --Liuxinyu970226 (talk) 13:17, 28 November 2017 (UTC)
- Support Thomas Obermair 4 (talk) 23:03, 28 November 2017 (UTC)
- Support Oh boy, we REALLY need this or we will be flooded on Commons with copyvios and more junk. We are deleting at least 1,000 files / day right now. The speedy deletions take several hours to complete. HELP! Hedwig in Washington (talk) 03:12, 29 November 2017 (UTC)
- Support Donald Trung (Talk 🤳🏻) (My global lock 🔒) (My global unlock 🔓) 10:48, 29 November 2017 (UTC)
- Support Ruthven (talk) 19:44, 29 November 2017 (UTC)
- Support El Grafo (talk) 10:26, 30 November 2017 (UTC)
- Support much needed. Natuur12 (talk) 21:16, 30 November 2017 (UTC)
- Support Vera (talk) 14:43, 1 December 2017 (UTC)
- Support Necessary, given what's happened in the last few months. — Andreyyshore T C 18:13, 1 Dec 2017 (UTC)
- Support ~Cybularny Speak? 12:44, 2 December 2017 (UTC)
- Support ديفيد عادل وهبة خليل 2 (talk) 15:50, 2 December 2017 (UTC)
- Support -Hasive • talk • 11:01, 3 December 2017 (UTC)
- Support LikeLifer (talk) 18:18, 3 December 2017 (UTC)
- Support Tacsipacsi (talk) 19:56, 3 December 2017 (UTC)
- Support --Jarekt (talk) 13:42, 5 December 2017 (UTC)
- Support the wub "?!" 00:16, 6 December 2017 (UTC)
- Support X:: black ::X (talk) 15:30, 10 December 2017 (UTC)
- Support Psychoslave (talk) 08:27, 11 December 2017 (UTC)