Community Wishlist Survey 2020/Wikisource/Repair search and replace in Page editing
Jump to navigation Jump to search
The survey has concluded. Here are the results!
- Problem: Actually, "Search and replace", as provided by the code Editor (top left option in the advanced editing tab), just doesn't work when using it at "Page" namespace.
This is the basic tool to... search and replace text when editing, mass correct OCR mistakes, etc. It is simply not working.
- Who would benefit: All editing users
- Proposed solution: Reimplement the function, or fix the bug in the Mediawiki software.
- More comments: There are some workarounds, as implemented in it.source, but they are new gadgets that mimic this basic functionality of MediaWiki.
- Phabricator tickets: phabricator:T183950, phab:T198688 and phab:T212347
- Proposer: Ruthven (msg) 11:44, 29 October 2019 (UTC)
- Extending the proposal: This would profit all Wiki-Projects.
- I would suggest something more general: when I use Search and replace, I cannot go a step backwards anymore, in case my replace (or more importantly something before) was wrong. This is a general problem with the text-editor. Every time I use any of the already existing buttons (like Bold, or math or what so ever), I cannot do this step backwards. So, if I' m editing for sometime and then do something wrong and then use one of these buttons (or search and replace), I must do the whole work from the beginning, because I cannot go back to the mistake that I did before using one of these buttons. This is not the case with the visual editor, so, I think, it would be possible to change this in the texteditor rather easily.
- There are only two options in search and replace: you can either replace one after the other, or the whole text. I would be really grateful if I could use search and replace only in a marked text (and not the whole one)Yomomo (talk) 22:24, 8 November 2019 (UTC)
- About Search and replace. If I want to replace something with more lines, the new-line-mark will not be included. I don't know how difficult it is to change this, but it would be a profit to be able to replace parts also when they (and the new part) have more lines. Yomomo (talk) 14:52, 1 November 2019 (UTC)
- Support JAn Dudík (talk) 07:15, 21 November 2019 (UTC)
- Support Wargo (talk) 22:58, 21 November 2019 (UTC)
- Support Libcub (talk) 08:23, 22 November 2019 (UTC)
- Support Liuxinyu970226 (talk) 10:30, 24 November 2019 (UTC)
- Support *•.¸♡ ℍ𝕒𝕣𝕕𝕒𝕣𝕤𝕙𝕒𝕟 𝔹𝕖𝕟𝕚𝕡𝕒𝕝 ♡¸.•*𝕋𝕒𝕝𝕜 17:01, 24 November 2019 (UTC)
- Support Geonuch (talk) 13:13, 25 November 2019 (UTC)
- Support Andy Mabbett (Pigsonthewing); Talk to Andy; Andy's edits 13:17, 25 November 2019 (UTC)
- Support Alex brollo (talk) 16:17, 25 November 2019 (UTC)
- Support 游魂 16:33, 25 November 2019 (UTC)
- Support Topp (talk) 16:36, 25 November 2019 (UTC)
- Support Wilhelm Zimmerling PAR (talk) 16:36, 25 November 2019 (UTC)
- Support Slager (talk) 17:15, 25 November 2019 (UTC)
- Support Yomomo (talk) 22:17, 25 November 2019 (UTC)
- Support this has been down for really too long... Hsarrazin (talk) 14:24, 26 November 2019 (UTC)
- Support I think fixing this will also make easier creation/fixing of various gadgets Ankry (talk) 21:35, 26 November 2019 (UTC)
- Support Acélan (talk) 13:18, 27 November 2019 (UTC)
- Support εΔω 17:12, 29 November 2019 (UTC)
- Support Paperoastro (talk) 11:50, 1 December 2019 (UTC)
- Support And, perhaps, extended to support stuff like "change case," other general editing functions, ideally in a floating menu. Akme (talk) 11:00, 2 December 2019 (UTC)
- Support सुबोध कुलकर्णी (talk) 12:13, 2 December 2019 (UTC)
- Support As proposer Ruthven (msg) 12:37, 2 December 2019 (UTC)
- Support Novak Watchmen (talk) 17:54, 2 December 2019 (UTC)