Please see the sample Contest application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Introduce Wiki Loves Africa project to existing and new contributors of wiki commons, and share all about Wiki Loves Africa and its purpose.
- Recruit loyal contributors (professional photographers and non professional)to wikipedia and its sister projects.
- Engage existing contributors and encourage them to continue contributing even when the contest is over.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What content will the contest focus on, and why is it important to your community?
Wiki Loves Africa 2020 in Botswana will focus on photo shooting activities under the theme transportation. Pictures uploaded on Commons will be used to illustrate and improve articles related to Batswana and Africans under transportation on wikipedia and its sister project.
2. How will you let people know about the contest?
They will be contacted on the Setswana and English Wikipedia and FB contest page. The use of banners to advertise the contest to local Wikipedia readers, and promote it on Facebook page.
3. How will you judge the contest and award prizes?
We will have a panel of 3 judges who will set criteria for best images and use these as a basis to select the best images for local awards.
4. For photo contests, what is the strategy to get images used on projects?
We will have edit-a-thons to help integrate some of these uploaded images into existing articles on Wikipedia. We may also create new articles based on these images at the edit-a-thons.
5. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
For photo contests:
- Number of participants 30
- Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons 400+
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects 25+
- 4 months after the event, 50 of uploaded photos are categorized as valued, quality or featured.
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding). Links
- to the contest page : Commons:Wiki Loves Africa
- to the meta organizing page : Wiki Loves Africa 2020
- to Facebook page : https://www.facebook.com/WikiLovesAfrica
- Candy Khohliwe, Project Leader
- Mompati Dikunwane, Organiser
- Matlhogonolo Kaboyamodimo, Organiser
- Oteng Kolobetso, Organiser
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- 1 USD = 10.87 BWP as of 28 November 2019 
- Project budget table
|No.||Item||Quantity||Rate (Unit) (USD)||Total (USD)||’Summary'|
|Opening session (Day 1)
Uploading session (Day 2)
|Venue||3 Days||$100||$300||This includes first launch event and second event. We will have the introduction of Wiki Loves Africa project, wikicommons and an uploading session and awareness. (Both Venue and Snacks)|
|Branding & Stationaries||T-Shirts||10||$7.5||$75||T-shirt will be given to contributors who has uploaded good number and quality photos, as well as to participants who has exceptional contributions during competition as determined by the jury.|
|Communications & Outreach||Transport||5||$20||$100||Internet will be used during events for photo uploading. Communication-Marketing (flyers and stickers printing, t-shirts, documents)
Transport going to purchase food/ snack/ prints T-shirt, Print banners, book cheap event venue
Internet at the events (*3 days Pre conference day, opening ceremony, and closing ceremony)
Use of social media to advertise the Wiki Love Africa events, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter
Photo hunt (Photo Walk) having snacks / water with the participants for 3 days in between the having Photo walk
|Internet at the events||$50||$200|
|Photo hunt (Photo Walk)
|Social Media (Promotion)||5||$10||$50|
|Communication||2||$20||$40||Calling to get quotes, contacting organisers for preparations|
|Posters||4||$10||$40||A3 poster designs to be displayed with the University of Botswana notable announcements boards.|
|Banners||1||$100||$100||Wiki Loves Africa banner|
|Awards giving||(1st,2nd,3rd)||$350||$350||The award will be given in term of vouchers and certificates. We will give vouchers cards worthy $200 to the first winner, $100 to the second winner and $50 to the third one, the winners can spend vouchers cards on what they choose. This event will be host University of Botswana E-health research unit and have at-least 50 people attending.|
|Drinks and Snacks||1||$100||$100|
|Contingency Amount||$100||Unforeseen expenses|
|Total: USD 1865|
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- Strong support This will help to bring the Botswana Wikimedia community. Isaac Kanguya✌ (talk) 19:40, 29 November 2019 (UTC)
- I think its a project that will actually promote more african content on wikicommon Udehb (talk) 19:55, 29 November 2019 (UTC)
- Best content for Africa Abakar B (talk)
- Strong support Mompati Dikunwane
- Strong support Anthere (talk)
- This is the best opportunity to create content from Botswana and generate more awareness for the Wikipedia community in that country. Imangaa (talk) 06:02, 3 December 2019 (UTC)
- Strong support Africa related contents are definitely needed. T CellsTalk 13:49, 4 December 2019 (UTC)