Grants:Project/Rapid/WM PT/WikiCon Portugal
Please see the sample Meeting application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Socialize with community members
- Increase skills for existing editors
Wikimedia Portugal is turning 10 years old on 21 September. We would like to celebrate it by gathering the portuguese community of editors, and use this opportunity to have a series of workshops and lectures to increase the capacity of portuguese community. We will have a series of workshops and lectures, covering themes from use of Wikidata to conflict resolution, communication, and other skills that can be useful to the daily activities of volunteers and to motivate them to get involved in other activities offline that can have an impact on the content.
- What is the purpose of the meeting and why is it important to your community?
- This meeting will be done to bring the portuguese volunteers together, and increase the capacity of the Portuguese community.
- If applicable, what benefits have you seen from doing this kind of meeting in the past?
- How will you let participants know about the meeting?
- We will advertise it on the Village Pumps or equivalent of the projects, Wikimedia Portugal social media (Facebook, Twitter) and our mailing lists.
- How will you keep participants engaged after the meeting is over?
- We will follow up on the meeting with a questionnaire gathering evaluation from the participants, and depending on the success of the meeting this year, will try to engage them to return the following year and follow other activities held throughout the year.
- Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- This is a two to three day event, planned to take place in the end of September.
Note: In addition to your project-specific measures of success, you will also be asked to report on some Global Metrics at the end of your final report. Please keep this in mind as you plan, and we'll support you as you begin your project.
- Number of total participants
We will work to attract at least 20-30 active editors from Wikipedia, Wikimedia Commons, Wikidata and other projects.
As this event is intended to increase capacity of the current community, we do not expect to have any new registered members.
Other than the active editors, we hope to involve 5-10 additional individuals, from partner institutions to showcase the current ongoing partnerships and involve the community on ongoing projects (GLAM, etc.).
As this meeting will focus on capacity, we do not expect to get new content generated during the event.
Hopefully by the end of the meeting, participants will have an worthwhile experience and will have acquired new knowledge that they will be able to apply in the near future. As mentioned above, we will have a questionnaire after the event, and we expect to contact responders six months later to assess how they have used their new skills.
- Number of people who will help organize the event
5 people will help organize the event.
- Venue: 0 $ (we will arrange a venue through one of out partner institutions)
- Travel and accomodation for participants and guests: 1800 $
- Snacks and food for participants: 200 $
- Total ammount: 2000 $
- Strong support. I am admirative of the mission and accomplishments of WMPT. This affiliate overcame several obstacles the last two years --most of which were exogenously brought upon it--, and this event bears the omen of a new phase: growing membership, increasing activities, sharing resources, building skills. AFAIK, this can only be accomplished through straightening bonds, and this is what WikiCon Portugal is all about. Proposed leadership for this event, including two of the most active and well known Wikimedians in the lusophone movement, GoEThe and Alchimista, is a key element for its success. --Joalpe (talk) 15:17, 26 February 2019 (UTC)
- Strong support This event will be of extreme importance for the Portuguese community, allowing us to know each other and greatly improving the capacity of the community. I will help with the organization and actively participate in it. The workshops and planned events, such as photowalks with Commons upload and editathons, and all the experience sharing between ourselves, will allow the Portuguese Wikimedia community to significantly build up its capacities.- Darwin Ahoy! 21:27, 15 March 2019 (UTC)
- Strong support This national conference would be particularly important, as WMPT is re-emerging from its relative slumber, with great energy and an already-impressive list of achievements in the last year, despite the difficulties it faced. The event is crucial to preserve momentum, re-engage contributors and catch them up on new projects and on modern technologies and tools. The budget is very modest, especially for Europe, and I endorse this request without reservation. Asaf (WMF) (talk) 22:01, 15 March 2019 (UTC)
- Strong support this is a much needed event to strengthen the community bonds in Portugal and within the Portuguese language Wikimedia communities. Chico Venancio (talk) 14:25, 23 April 2019 (UTC)
- the Strongest support per Asaf reasoning above. Béria L. de Rodríguez msg 14:31, 23 April 2019 (UTC)
- Support. This meeting shall be useful to know the possibilities and necessities of the community. --Estevoaei (talk) 14:56, 23 April 2019 (UTC)
- Strong support This is the perfect opportunity to gather all the portuguese wikimedians and create strong bonds within the community, after a period of lethargy. --Hipersyl 17:59, 23 April 2019 (UTC)
- Strong support like Joalpe, Asaf and the Others had previously write. GualdimG (talk) 14:26, 29 April 2019 (UTC)
- Support like others above. Jo Lorib (talk) 19:23, 19 May 2019 (UTC)
- Support Helder 20:57, 19 May 2019 (UTC)
- Strong support. I was going to reason about it but it isn't necessary, because I support this proposal per Joalpe and Asaf reasoning. Regards, Ivanhercaz (talk) 23:20, 13 July 2019 (UTC)