Hardware donation program/Bodhisattwa
Your contact information
- your username
- your contact e-mail (optional)
Explain your plan
Tell us about how you contribute currently, and how you would contribute if WMF were to gift a used laptop to you.
I am an active Wikimedia contributor for last 5 years with more than 115,000 global edits till now. I have been entrusted with the sysop rights in Bengali Wikisource and Bengali Wikipedia. I have proofread and validated more than 50 books in Bengali Wikisource and created more than 1200 articles in Bengali Wikipedia. I have also uploaded more than 770 PD books in Commons. Apart from that, I am also active in Wikidata, Translatewiki, Phabricator, Openstreetmap etc. and have also organized various online and offline events like editathons, meetups, national and international conferences.
My laptop is more than 6 years old. The hinge is broken, so the laptop does not fold. If I force it to fold, the screen gets detached. It requires an unusual manoeuvre to fold the laptop and carry it elsewhere. So, basically, I have no other option but to keep it in my home and use it as a desktop. If WMF gifts me a laptop, I can use it in meet-ups, conferences or other offline events.
Add the existing Wikimedia projects (Wikipedia, Commons, etc.) and language versions that you seek to impact with this equipment.
- Bengali Wikisource
- Bengali Wikipedia
- Wikimedia Commons
Work you're proud of
Show us (through links) some of your best Wikimedia work, on or off wiki, to help us get a sense for the kind of work you do. (no more than 3 or 4 links at most, please.)
- Core organizer of Bengali Wikipedia 10th Anniversary International Conference
- Core orgnizer of WikiConference India 2016
- Gave the simple idea of integrating Google OCR with Wikisource projects in 2015 community wishlist survey, which drastically changed the quality of Bengali and Tamil Wikisource projects. See the stats
- Local organiser of Wikipedia Asian Month 2015 and 2016 editons in Bengali Wikipedia.
- Creation of West Bengal Wikimedians User Group
IF YOU ARE REQUESTING THIS ON BEHALF OF A WIKIMEDIA AFFILIATE (i.e. to be owned by a Wikimedia affiliate rather than an individual), please type your affiliate name below, and add a link to your affiliate's public equipment tracking page.
- Affiliate name
- Public equipment tracking page
- Support Indrajit Das (talk) 12:49, 17 March 2017 (UTC)
- Support Satdeep Gill (talk) 15:21, 17 March 2017 (UTC)
- Support Mouryan (talk) 17:00, 17 March 2017 (UTC)
- Support --Pmlineditor (t · c · l) 18:39, 17 March 2017 (UTC)
- Support Mardetanha talk 20:34, 17 March 2017 (UTC)
- Support This guy truly needs support and deserves it as well. -- Tito Dutta (talk) 08:36, 18 March 2017 (UTC)
- Support --Nizil Shah (talk) 10:09, 18 March 2017 (UTC)
- Support Sumita Roy Dutta (talk) 10:40, 18 March 2017 (UTC)
- Support --Sumitsurai (talk) 18:06, 18 March 2017 (UTC)
- Strong Support --Atudu (talk) 02:29, 19 March 2017 (UTC)
- Support -Hasive • talk • 06:24, 19 March 2017 (UTC)
- Support -- Bijay chaurasia 10:25, 19 March 2017 (UTC)
- Support Soni (talk) 07:37, 20 March 2017 (UTC)
- Support --Kritzolina (talk) 07:41, 20 March 2017 (UTC)
- Support Lahariyaniyathi (talk) 09:12, 20 March 2017 (UTC)
- Support Pavan santhosh.s (talk) 17:39, 21 March 2017 (UTC)
- Strong Support :) →Spiritia 19:13, 21 March 2017 (UTC)
- Support --Aftabuzzaman (talk) 20:34, 25 March 2017 (UTC)
You are encouraged to track the impact this equipment has helped you make. This encourages WMF to donate more hardware.
First of all, I would like to thank Asaf to trust me on this.
The battery of the laptop, which I received from WMF, was completely dead and I had to always keep it in the plug and adapter to run the laptop. So, whenever the plug and adapter got touched or moved somehow, the connection got cut and the laptop closes immediately leaving me no opportunity to save any edits. Also, for that reason, I couldn't bring it anywhere. The repair shops also couldn't help to replace the battery. Now, to resume my work, another Wikimedian from my community kindly offered me to exchange with his laptop, which has Ubuntu OS, where I am more comfortable. He is using the laptop, WMF gave, by using it as a desktop computer in his home fixing it to the plug and has a backup laptop to carry. I am extremely thankful to him to help me in this way.
Nevertheless, an extra computer helped me assist in my work in all ways possible as my previous laptop was broken and couldn't even bear Ubuntu OS, which was installed there. This extra laptop helped me resume my work, which was almost stalled before. With this, apart from regular editing in Wikisource, Commons and Wikidata, which I was doing before, I tested and installed numerous scripts, gadgets, tools etc. in Wikisource, ran the OCR4Wikisource python script, did pywikibot maintenance work in Wikisource, effectively used all kind of tools available while working on heritage structures in Commons and Wikidata while organizing Wiki Explores Program and WLM 2018 in India, learned OpenRefine and implemented my new learning by adding demographic and other data in Wikidata etc, all of which could not have been possible with my previous broken laptop.