Requests for new languages/Wikinews Bengali
|←main page||Request for a new language edition: Wikinews Bengali|
- The community needs to develop an active test project; it must remain active until approval (automated statistics, recent changes). It is generally considered active if the analysis lists at least three active, not-grayed-out editors listed in the sections for the previous few months.
- The community needs to complete required MediaWiki interface translations in that language (about localization, translatewiki, check completion).
- The community needs to discuss and complete the settings table below:
|What||Value||Example / Explanation|
|Language code||bn (SIL, Ethnologue)||A valid ISO 639-1 or 639-3 language code, like "fr", "de", "nso", ...|
|Language name||Bengali||Language name in English|
|Language name||বাংলা||Language name in your language. This will appear in the language list on Special:Preferences, in the interwiki sidebar on other wikis, ...|
|Language Wikidata item||Q9610 - item has currently the following values:
||Item about the language at Wikidata. It would normally include the Wikimedia language code, name of the language, etc. Please complete at Wikidata if needed.|
|Community||ZI Jony (N)|
You can optionally list your user name if you are an active contributor to the test wiki. Add "N" next to your name if you are a native speaker of this language.
|Project name||উইকিসংবাদ||"Wikinews" in your language|
|Project namespace||usually the same as the project name|
|Project talk namespace||"Wikinews talk" (the discussion namespace of the project namespace)|
|Enable uploads||yes||Default is "no". Preferably, files should be uploaded to Commons.|
If you want, you can enable local file uploading, either by any user ("yes") or by administrators only ("admin").
Notes: (1) This setting can be changed afterwards. The setting can only be "yes" or "admin" at approval if the test creates an Exemption Doctrine Policy (EDP) first. (2) Files on Commons can be used on all Wikis. (3) Uploading fair-use images is not allowed on Commons (more info). (4) Localisation to your language may be insufficient on Commons.
|Project logo||File:...||135x135 PNG derivative from a decent SVG image (instructions)|
|Default project timezone||UTC||"Continent/City", e.g. "Europe/Brussels" or "America/Mexico City" (see list of valid timezones)|
|Additional namespaces||For example for a Wikisource which would need "Page", "Page talk", "Index", "Index talk"|
|Additional settings||Anything else that should be set|
Bengali (বাংলা) is one of the most speaking language. Bengali speaking wikipidians are growing day by day. Bengali readers are collecting news from wikinews. To make it easy i proposed for Bengali wikinews "'উইকিসংবাদ"' । Thank you. Ferdous (talk) 10:40, 28 December 2014 (UTC)
Arguments in favour
- Support This is very good idea Ferdous. For the improving Wikimedia; this project is most important to us. Go ahead for the next level. Thank you. — Masum Ibn Musa Conversation 12:27, 28 December 2014 (UTC)
- Strongly Oppose: I strong oppose this request. Though the number of speakers of Bengali is huge but we do not have that much editors/active editors. The number of articles and the quality of the articles are not good enough in Bengali Wikipedia. At this situation it will not be a good decision to start a new project. --Nasir Khan Saikat (talk) 11:31, 28 December 2014 (UTC)
- Strongly Oppose: as of now this volunteer base as Nasir explain. Bengali Wikipedia community have already discussed about all remaining project, that we will not start any new project, other that any new community come up with strong volunteer base. Jayantanth (talk) 14:47, 28 December 2014 (UTC)
- Oppose: The time is not at all ripe to start a new project. The existing project like Bengali Wikibooks is totally inactive. Bengali Wikitionary is also far from active. Lack of active volunteers is one of the many factors for the inactivity of these projects. We should concentrate on them rather than starting a new project. -- Bodhisattwa (talk) 18:04, 3 January 2015 (UTC)
- Strongly Oppose:Bn wikibooks, Bn wiki-source are near-totally inactive. No point in proliferation.Godric on Leave (talk) 16:39, 12 September 2017 (UTC)
যারা ভবিষ্যতে আমার এই মন্তব্য দেখবেন: বাংলা উইকিসংবাদ চালুর পক্ষে বা বিপক্ষে হাজার ভোট দিয়েও কোন লাভ নেই। ভাষা কমিটি অনুমোদন করার সময় দেখবে এখানে (incubator উইকিতে) যথেষ্ট পাতা ও পাতার বিষয়বস্তু আছে কিনা। যদি যথেষ্ট পাতা ও পাতার বিষয়বস্তু থাকে তবে এখানে বিপক্ষে বেশী ভোট আসলেও উইকি অনুমোদিত হবে। তাই সবাই এখানে অবদান রাখুন। --আফতাবুজ্জামান (talk) 20:24, 30 October 2018 (UTC)