Requesting wiki configuration changes
|←Requests and proposals||Requesting wiki configuration changes|
Some common requests include:
- Creation or removal of additional namespaces (e.g. Portal:, WikiProject:, Appendix:, Author:)
- Creation or removal of user groups with additional rights (e.g. rollbacker, filemover)
- Changing user rights
- Enabling or disabling local uploads
- Changing the project logo
- Translation of namespaces
How to request a change
In order to get a configuration variable or setting changed on your project:
- Figure out what you want changed;
- Gather local on-wiki community consensus for the change;
- Start a discussion at the community portal, village pump, or other major discussion venue, and give time for a consensus to develop.
- Make sure everything necessary to make the change is decided upon. For example, new user groups will usually need to be addable/removable by certain groups of local users (not just global stewards) - usually this could be granted to either admins or bureaucrats. (If your wiki does not have any local admins or bureaucrats, any user rights changes need to be done via a steward; see Steward requests/Permissions.)
- Wikis that do not have any local admins/bureaucrats are probably too small for a new user group, see Limits to configuration changes, section "Special groups on small wikis").
- In the case of a very small and low-activity community, it should be enough to show that you have tried to gain consensus, and that you have given an opportunity for objections.
- File a ticket (preferably in English) in Wikimedia's bug tracker, under the "Wikimedia-Site-requests" project tag. (See mw:Phabricator/Help for more information about Wikimedia's task tracker.)
- Set the project tag "Wikimedia-Site-requests" for the project.
- Be sure that the ticket includes a URL to the local on-wiki consensus, preferably using a permanent link (click the "Permanent link" link in the toolbox, which should make the URL end in &oldid=...); the URL should go in the main "description" box;
- Be patient; site configuration requests are only read by a few of the system administrators; on average, they take a few weeks to process; if the request is urgent or has been sitting around for a long time, join #wikimedia-tech and ask about the request.
Gaining on-wiki consensus and filing a task does not guarantee that the request will be fulfilled. Ultimate authority lies with the system administrators, and site configuration requests may be declined for any reason, including but not limited to the following: to protect the Wikimedia founding principles and core values, to protect the integrity of a project, because performance issues or because fulfilling the request would include deploying an extension that was discontinued.
If you want to try fixing such a request yourself, please follow the manual and give it a try!
- Limits to configuration changes
- Requirements before a new code base (e.g. an extension) can be deployed on Wikimedia wikis
- Setting up an internal Wikimedia wiki
- Instructions and information how can you make the required code changes for a configuration change yourself
- List of all Wikimedia wikis' configuration files. The most relevant ones are: