Talk:Wikimedia LGBT+

From Meta, a Wikimedia project coordination wiki
(Redirected from Talk:Wikimedia LGBT+/2018)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Wikimedia LGBT+ logo - without text.svg
Wikimedia LGBT+


2019 Affiliations Committee call for candidates[edit]

The Affiliations Committee (AffCom) – the committee responsible for guiding volunteers in establishing Wikimedia chapters, thematic organizations, and user groups – is looking for new members!

On behalf of the committee,

Camelia Boban, AffCom member

The 2030 movement strategy recommendations are here![edit]

Greetings! We are pleased to inform that the 2030 movement strategy recommendations have been published on Meta-wiki. Over the last two years, our movement has worked tirelessly to produce these ideas to change our shared future. Many of you participated in the online conversations, hosted strategy salons, attended regional events, and connected with us in-person at Wikimania. These contributions were invaluable, and will help make our movement stronger for years to come. 

The finished set of 10 recommendations emphasizes many of our core values, such as equity, innovation, safety, and coordination, while tasking us jointly to turn this vision into a reality. These recommendations clarify and refine the previous version, which was published in January this year. They are at a high strategic level so that the ideas are flexible enough to be adapted to different global and local settings and will allow us to navigate future challenges. Along with the recommendations, we have outlined 10 underlying principles, a narrative of change, and a glossary of key terms for better context.

The recommendations are available in numerous languages, including Arabic, German, Hindi, English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish for you to read and share widely. We encourage you to read the recommendations in your own time and at your own pace, either online or in a PDF. There are a couple of other formats for you to take a deeper dive if you wish, such as a one-page summary, slides, and office hours, all collected on Meta. If you would like to comment, you are welcome to do so on the Meta talk pages. However, please note that these are the final version of the recommendations. No further edits will be made. This final version of the recommendations embodies an aspiration for how the Wikimedia movement should continue to change in order to advance that direction and meet the Wikimedia vision in a changing world. 

In terms of next steps, our focus now shifts toward implementation. In light of the cancellation of the Wikimedia Summit, the Wikimedia Foundation is determining the best steps for moving forward through a series of virtual events over the coming months. We will also be hosting live office hours in the next coming few days, where you can join us to celebrate the Strategy and ask questions! Please stay tuned, and thank you once again for helping to drive our movement forward, together. RSharma (WMF)

Universal Code of Conduct - Working Group Representative for the LGBT+ User Group[edit]

As discussed in the last user group meeting, I reached out to the Trust and Safety lead about having a representative of our user group on the working group to develop the Universal Code of Conduct (UCoC), and as a result we have been invited to have a delegate to work on this effort who can also keep our user group informed about its progress. So, please reply here if you are interested in volunteering to work on the UCoC team with Trust and Safety. Requirements for this volunteer role include:

  • experience in policy drafting
  • experience in cooperating online
  • empathy
  • experience in collaborating in an international team
  • participatory decision making

It is also intended that this person will have the confidence of communities, and our user group, along with a clean blocklog on their major wikis. Please reply here if interested in this role, and we will see who we can get on our behalf. --- FULBERT (talk) 16:27, 15 June 2020 (UTC)

I am interested in serving on this working group. RachelWex (talk) 02:23, 16 June 2020 (UTC)
I am also interested Nattes à chat (talk) 11:47, 16 June 2020 (UTC)

I reached out to @Mdennis (WMF): about the timeframe for this and will clarify here once I get more information then we can discuss how to select our representative. --- FULBERT (talk) 13:41, 16 June 2020 (UTC)

I support either Rachel or Nattes for this. Thanks for volunteering. Blue Rasberry (talk) 19:52, 16 June 2020 (UTC)

Pinging RachelWex and Nattes à chat about this. This is a partially redacted reply with more information about how this role will be invited to engage. The committee will be created by July 15th with approximately six weeks of focused and intense work to get to the final version for the Board on August 30th with time between for meetings, discussions, and input from various communities. Thus, 6 vigorous weeks of effort for this. With this information, is there a way you two could communicate directly and see if this would work better for one of you than the other, as otherwise we will have a vote here. Please ping me if you need more information. Thank you. --- FULBERT (talk) 17:50, 22 June 2020 (UTC) ː Rachel being very interested to apply for the LGBT group I have applied myself separately. Nattes à chat (talk) 14:28, 30 June 2020 (UTC)

Thanks for letting us know Nattes à chat. As long as RachelWex is fine with this, then RachelWex will be our representative. I believe the timeline has been pushed back by a couple weeks, but is still scheduled to begin in July. Thanks for volunteering! --- FULBERT (talk) 13:36, 1 July 2020 (UTC)
For anybody else interested in the UCoC process, more information can be found about it here. --- FULBERT (talk) 13:36, 1 July 2020 (UTC)

Invitation to participate in LGBTQ Lowcountry Wikipedia edit-a-thon[edit]

Hi all! College of Charleston (South Carolina, USA) Special Collections is hosting a virtual Wikipedia edit-a-thon for LGBTQ history in the Lowcountry area of South Carolina. The event will take place from July 13-July 17, 2020. More information about the articles we hope to improve is available on our Wiki Event Dashboard, where you can sign up. Please share to other groups that might be interested. Thanks so much! Lgbtqlowcountry (talk) 20:13, 1 July 2020 (UTC)

Feedback on movement names[edit]

There are a lot of conversations happening about the future of our movement names. We hope that you are part of these discussions and that your community is represented.

Since 16 June, the Foundation Brand Team has been running a survey in 7 languages about 3 naming options. There are also community members sharing concerns about renaming in a Community Open Letter.

You should have received a separate affiliate survey via email. If you have not, feel free to email brandproject(_AT_)wikimedia.org.

Our goal in this call for feedback is to hear from across the community, so we encourage you to participate in the survey, the open letter, or both. The survey will go through 7 July in all timezones. Input from the survey and discussions will be analyzed and published on Meta-Wiki.

Thanks for thinking about the future of the movement --The Brand Project team, 13:37, 2 July 2020 (UTC)

Note: The survey is conducted via a third-party service, which may subject it to additional terms. For more information on privacy and data-handling, see the survey privacy statement.

July LGBT+ User Group Meetings: Thursday July 9 at 1:00pm EDT & Thursday July 23 at 1:00pm EDT[edit]

As we mentioned at the last user group meeting two weeks ago, we will continue with our meetings twice a month on the second and fourth Thursdays of the month for our online User Group meetings at 1:00pm EDT.

More specs about the meeting on Thursday, July 9 is here and for Thursday, July 23 is here.

Both will use Zoom, with the links and agendas on those individual pages. All are welcome. --- FULBERT (talk) 01:33, 8 July 2020 (UTC)

Looking forward to our second User Group meeting of the month today. All are welcome. --- FULBERT (talk) 15:54, 23 July 2020 (UTC)

Organizing meetup Pages[edit]

Hello. Should the meetup pages be moved to the respective locations? Reason: To get everything to be subpages of Wikimedia LGBT+ instead of them being a "standalone" page. Wikimedia LGBT User Group should be created and redirected to Wikimedia LGBT+/Portal

This is not really necessary but it'll be better to do so. --Minorax (talk) 01:49, 8 July 2020 (UTC)
While we are talking about housekeeping, could we also swap to ISO date format of YYYY-MM-DD in the page names? This would mean the files sort themselves nicely by page name, even if the meeting titles written on the meeting agendas remain in whatever long format is preferred. -- (talk) 10:21, 8 July 2020 (UTC)
Yes, agree, move all meetings to be sorted by date.
Minorax, why create any heading for "Wikimedia LGBT User Group"? The organization already has a name, "Wikimedia LGBT+". Also, I wish we could get rid of "Wikimedia LGBT+/Portal" by moving everything there to "Wikimedia LGBT+". The "/Portal" part was an error in organizing, I think.
I would like to set up some kind of tabs for this group, perhaps something like at Wikimedians in Residence Exchange Network. At Wikimedians_in_Residence_Exchange_Network/reports#Annual_reports I set up a list of all the meetings and put them into what will be each year's annual report. I am not sure which Wikimedia organization has the best way of logging meetings, but this could be a model unless someone has seen or can propose a better way. Blue Rasberry (talk) 19:47, 8 July 2020 (UTC)
@Bluerasberry: The reason for creating the redirect (Wikimedia LGBT User Group) is to actually sort the meetup pages and link it back to the main page. It depends on how you guys want to sort the pages, and the redirect is redundant if the decision is to follow the name of the main page. Pinging @: as well. --Minorax (talk) 07:00, 9 July 2020 (UTC)
It's a good point. The name "LGBT+" was a hard won compromise when we established the group, and "Wikimedia LGBT+" or "WM-LGBT+" are unique to our user group, so they are sufficient names to identify meetings and documents.
For those unaware in countries like France, using 'LGBT' is often thought a less inclusive term, but no one abbreviation satisfies all groups. Hence words like "queer" can have more reach even while being less specific. Our compromise is the "+", so it turns out to be important not to miss out. Considering it's been several years without too much debate, it's been working fairly well for us. -- (talk) 07:25, 9 July 2020 (UTC)
IMO, the format for the dates should be kept as it is as there are pages without a specified date in the title (Wikimedia LGBT User Group September 2019). --Minorax (talk) 09:29, 9 July 2020 (UTC)
The benefit of ISO format is those would sort fine, e.g. 2019-09 though actually that example is really 2019-09-09. -- (talk) 09:51, 9 July 2020 (UTC)
Ok. I'll list down the pages and their respective target page for vetting latest by the end of the week. --Minorax (talk) 13:38, 9 July 2020 (UTC)

┌─────────────────────────────────┘

These are the pages and their respective target. Kindly check. --Minorax (talk) 02:48, 10 July 2020 (UTC)

Thanks for following up. The reorganization was briefly mentioned at the UG zoom yesterday, and nobody has objections. There's general recognition that an easy to navigate set of meeting records helps to establish that the UG is active and might help in future funding proposals or a change in affiliate status. If there was an easy way to have an autogenerated navigation template on each meeting notes page, this would be a cool addition too.
The "+" in the name was also discussed, but it was suggested that we might use a redirect page for the parent category, so that links and external links can be used without the "+" that would end up in the same place. Exactly as LGBT has done for the past 8 years and avoids having to use URLs in emails or publications with "LGBT%2B" in them. -- (talk) 08:15, 10 July 2020 (UTC)
So basically Wikimedia LGBT User Group July 23 2020 -> Wikimedia LGBT/2020-07-23 and Wikimedia LGBT+/Portal -> Wikimedia LGBT+ with Wikimedia LGBT be redirected to the latter? --Minorax (talk) 11:48, 11 July 2020 (UTC)
Moving the meeting notes pages is fine. Moving the portal should have a bit more of a consensus, as there might be other things, like the templates, we could do with more voices on. -- (talk) 16:09, 11 July 2020 (UTC)

┌─────────────────────────────────┘

@: Done. Redirects have been left to avoid breaking any incoming links. Let me know if there are more pages to move/delete. --Minorax (talk) 08:24, 12 July 2020 (UTC)
Thanks for this organizing effort Minorax and your guidance in this . Can you clarify how we should continue to create new meetup pages now? Also, what other options should we continue to consider to make our site easier to use and find? --- FULBERT (talk) 14:21, 12 July 2020 (UTC)
For the first part, it'll be Wikimedia LGBT/YYYY-MM-DD. The second is actually up to the members of the user group. --Minorax (talk) 14:39, 12 July 2020 (UTC)
In effect m:LGBT is the movement wide UG "landing page" (i.e. that same shortcut works on Commons, the Spanish Wikipedia and everywhere else). Rethinking how we could use it as a more dynamic portal or main page for all our Wikimedia LGBT+ related projects, and maybe newbies who care about LGBT+ topics but not necessarily the UG itself, could be a useful discussion at the next Zoom, perhaps coming to some decisions about redirects and whether less obvious pages, like "resources" or "things you can do to help" could do with being independently useful things to land on with their own shortcuts. -- (talk) 17:45, 12 July 2020 (UTC)
, that sounds like a helpful discussion to have. Can you add it to the agenda for the next meeting? I am afraid if I try to write it then it would become more scattered and you made it rather clear. --- FULBERT (talk) 22:31, 12 July 2020 (UTC)
  • This is great! There were many discussions about naming the organization "Wikimedia LGBT+", and I think we should keep that name, but for the practical reason of making links render properly, I think that keeping everything at "Wikimedia LGBT" is reasonable. This new link structure will make the meeting notes easier to find through conventional search and also help organize our list of meetings. Blue Rasberry (talk) 22:35, 12 July 2020 (UTC)

Announcing a new wiki project! Welcome, Abstract Wikipedia[edit]

Hello everyone. I am posting the announcement below, which you may have missed elsewhere, and in the hope that you can share it with your local communities. Please note that it may be available in your language at m:Special:MyLanguage/Abstract Wikipedia/July 2020 announcement. Thanks for your attention! m:User:Elitre (WMF)


Wikimedia Foundation: male, female, or rather not say?[edit]

gender survey question from a July 2020 Wikimedia Foundation questionnaire for the Code of Conduct project

This comes from a survey titled "UCoC: Affiliates Outreach Survey" which says "This form was created inside of Wikimedia Foundation". The survey asks for the respondent's gender, giving options of female, male, or rather not say. There is no option for other answers.

I set up en:Gender survey question as part of a response. Anyone can comment here. I would like to talk about this at a future LGBT+ online meeting. Blue Rasberry (talk) 22:37, 24 July 2020 (UTC)

  • @RachelWex: You are this community's representative to the Code of Conduct discussions. I wanted to ping you here to advocate for inclusion of people who do not fit into the male / female gender binary. Blue Rasberry (talk) 22:40, 24 July 2020 (UTC)
For our community, it makes more sense to ask about self identifying pronouns rather than "male or female". One can use gender neutral pronouns, that does not mean you are "gender neutral" in a medical sense. It is also weird to me that form-designers always revert to vaguely biological terminology of "male or female" which could apply to cats or monkeys, while humans have identifying genders like "woman", "genderqueer", "non-binary". This way of talking about volunteers, makes me wonder why WMF employees what to know what genitals we have in our pants. It feels as bad as if they had a colour chart to identify what "race" you are. -- (talk) 07:49, 25 July 2020 (UTC)
I normally say that the best practice for forms, if gender data needs to be collected at all, is to make gender a fill-in-the-blank question. But if that isn't possible, having Female, Male, Other, and Prefer Not To Say is the next best choice, though Female and Male are really sexes, not genders. Funcrunch (talk) 14:57, 25 July 2020 (UTC)
I think this raises issues concerning gender and sex and how they are related. I am not sure if there is universal consensus on this scientifically or socially, and as result it also affects how policies are made and followed. Is there an article in this area that can be pointed to for evidence or guidance in informing policy? --- FULBERT (talk) 12:05, 26 July 2020 (UTC)
This article is very on point: https://doi.org/10.1177/0891243215584758 New Categories Are Not Enough: Rethinking the Measurement of Sex and Gender in Social Surveys
Available without login at NIH.gov -- (talk) 14:13, 26 July 2020 (UTC)
Thanks for sharing this article . I think the conclusion is useful, "To do so, surveys must also consistently distinguish between the concepts of sex and gender, incorporate self-identified sex and gender, provide clear cri-teria or instructions for how to determine sex and gender, acknowledge change in sex and gender over the life course, and rethink the necessity of employing binary sex and gender categories throughout the survey materials" (pg. 555). The challenge is this seems a big ask for some gender scholars to ask for society in general, given "Many contemporary gender scholars see sex and gender as distinct, though the concepts are often conflated in both academic and nonacademic contexts" (pg. 537). That research paper continues with an interesting discussion on sex and gender and how they are similar and / or different depending on numerous factors. It seems that these issues may exist more in academic discourse than in practice, with practice lagging behind (as commonly the case). It does raise the issue of this needing a wider discussion, for while a simple change on its face (e.g., survey itself), it would ultimately be a deeper mindset change to disambiguate sex and gender for the sake of surveys or other forms of communication. Do you think there would be wide appetite for this discussion? --- FULBERT (talk) 15:10, 26 July 2020 (UTC)
While I understand (and share) the impulse to identify the "best" way to ask this question, I believe there are only iterations that cause more or less harm. So when including such a question one must first ask if it is necessary data to collect and, if so, how to mitigate the harm it will cause. I find this question deeply hostile to the queer community, and an unsettling first step in this process. Very much looking forward to further insight from @RachelWex:. Megs (talk) 12:59, 27 July 2020 (UTC)
  • "Do you think there would be wide appetite"; no, especially not if this was the English Wikipedia, where there is a long problematic history of being hostile and even abusive to trans or non-binary related policy discussion, and treating that hostility as protected "free speech".
(Mild tangent alert) What may be more effective is for the WMLGBT+ User Group to create our own exemplar policies, which themselves could be lifted from external organizations like GLAAD glad guidelines. Perhaps even an 'exemplar diversity policies' page as a resource? This could cover the appropriateness of diversity questions in surveys, contributory factors for assessing notability for queer-related articles on people, places, history, and a few special queer-related issues on handling harassment or supporting LGBT+ people who are being targeted. -- (talk) 09:31, 28 July 2020 (UTC)
  • The wording can be improved, but in general I see little utility in having more than 3 options. The main function of such demographics questions is to be able to compare the sample to some baseline; if you can't stick to the same method as the baseline data you have (whatever it is), you might as well just ditch the question. (The same for age and whatever.) Nemo 15:44, 27 July 2020 (UTC)
The question has been removed from the survey. Megs (talk) 17:23, 27 July 2020 (UTC)
  • FWIW, the WMF has offered a gender survey with a fill-in-the-blank option in other contexts; I showed an example from the Inspire Campaign in my 2016 WikiConference North America talk, "The Transgender Gap". Funcrunch (talk) 19:40, 27 July 2020 (UTC)
  • I just completed a survey from the Trust and Safety Team to advance the UCOC Committee's work...no questions about gender, nationality, sexual orientation, or any other identifying information are collected other than one's affiliate group / user group that they are aligned with... RachelWex (talk) 00:14, 4 August 2020 (UTC)
Not sure if you mean it as praise, criticism or maybe just a fact. I was quite happy with the survey.--Jetam2 (talk) 14:35, 4 August 2020 (UTC)

WMF UCOC Update: Survey[edit]

Hello Everyone,

The message below is from Mervat Salman of the Trust and Safety Team. She is compiling information for the UCOC committee from all affiliate groups about their experiences with harassment, what they expect from the UCOC, and what they do not want to see in it. Links to the survey in several languages are below. If you need it in another language, please contact Mervat at msalman-ctr@wikimedia.org. She would like folx to send their responses within the next two weeks. Thank you very much!

Sincerely, Rachel Wexelbaum (User:RachelWex)


There has been talks about the need for a global set of conduct rules in different communities over time, and finally, Wikimedia Foundation Board announced a Community Culture Statement, enacting new standards to address harassment and promote inclusivity across projects.

Since the universal code of conduct that will be a binding minimum set of standards across all Wikimedia projects, will apply to all of us, staff and volunteers alike, all around the globe, and will impact our work as groups, individuals and projects, it’s of great importance that we all participate in expressing our opinions and thoughts about UCoC, its nature, what we think it should cover or include and what it shouldn’t include; how it may develop, drawback or help our groups.

This is the time to talk about it. As you are a valuable contributor to the Wikimedia movement, your voice counts. Before starting to draft the code of conduct, we would like to hear from you; We invite you to devote some minutes to take this survey; your answers will help us create a safer environment for all on Wikimedia:

(English): https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSd36dNdU3C5shXEkKp9itJOhuCTx9hZE5AE-xflkxtfRMnZtg/viewform?usp=pp_url

(Spanish): https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSczplOUFD8MXf7hBBd6kuELGF4sOGyqnXwbrWHg3yP9JK3Cgg/viewform?usp=pp_url

(French): https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeTJRc-8Pzi8J7rhlh3nqT7OvB5g1MN3n-SXCz786JCMWVHGQ/viewform?usp=pp_url

(Dutch): https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeOdS5dCkC8eYlnc-546d42b8N36bOwZ9uFOjmvD3h2TNnysQ/viewform?usp=pp_url

(Russian): https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeTJRc-8Pzi8J7rhlh3nqT7OvB5g1MN3n-SXCz786JCMWVHGQ/viewform?usp=pp_url

It’s possible that you are a member of more than one affiliate; hence you may receive this survey more than once, and you may have participated previously in the discussions or filled out a previous survey during the first round of consultations about UCoC which targeted wikipedia/wikimedia communities. We apologize for this; it is really difficult to identify if a wikimedian belongs to multiple groups that work to spread free knowledge.

Looking forward to your thoughts and opinions and hoping that you can respond within the next 2 weeks. If you have any questions about the surveys or difficulties accessing the link, please contact me by email (msalman-ctr@wikimedia.org)

Results will be considered during the drafting process for the UCoC

Thank you for your participation



Mervat Salman

Trust & Safety (Policy) Facilitator

Wikimedia Foundation

New Research: Characterizing Existing Practices for Identifying and Mitigating Knowledge Gaps[edit]

Hi All,

My name is Jim Maddock, and I’m with a researcher at Northwestern University working on identifying missing content on Wikipedia. As a first step, we want to talk to members of Wikipedia’s editor community to better understand how editors currently identify and add missing content. Participants must be Wikipedia editors who speak English and will be compensated for their time.

For more details about our project, please refer to our project meta page. If you are interested in participating, please fill out this screener and consent form. Additionally, feel free to reach out to me at maddock@u.northwestern.edu if you have any thoughts and suggestions. Thanks!

Study Information[edit]

Study Title: Characterizing Existing Practices for Identifying and Mitigating Knowledge Gaps

PI: Darren Gergle

IRB Study #: STU00212033

Cheers, Jmads-nu (talk) 16:36, 4 August 2020 (UTC)

August LGBT+ User Group Meetings: Thursday August 13 at 1:00pm EDT & Thursday August 27 at 1:00pm EDT[edit]

We are continuing to meet twice a month on the second and fourth Thursdays ofor our online LGBT+ User Group meetings at 1:00pm EDT.

More specs about the meeting on Thursday, August 13 is here.

More specs about the meeting on Thursday, August 27 will be here.

All are welcome. --- FULBERT (talk) 02:55, 12 August 2020 (UTC)

As many cannot make the second scheduled meeting for August (on August 27), we will not hold it. The best for the end of the summer to everybody. --- FULBERT (talk) 14:20, 27 August 2020 (UTC)

September LGBT+ User Group Meeting - Thursday September 10 at 1:00 pm EDT[edit]

Time to plan the next LGBT+ User Group Meeting, which will be Thursday September 10, 2020 at 1:00 pm EDT. At this meeting we can discuss the feasbility of continuing two monthly gatherings for the User Group or returning to having a single one. --- FULBERT (talk) 14:23, 27 August 2020 (UTC)

The link to the September live meeting on September 10 is here. All are welcome! --- FULBERT (talk) 23:44, 9 September 2020 (UTC)

Universal Code of Conduct (UCOC) Update[edit]

Hello Everyone,

The draft of the Universal Code of Conduct (UCOC) will be shared for community feedback on Monday September 7th. It will be translated into multiple languages to ensure that feedback from as many groups as possible.

The work of the UCOC had been split into two phases. Phase I focused on structure of the document and definition/examples of acceptable/unacceptable behaviors. Phase II will focus on application of the UCOC and enforcement. For this reason, the draft that you will see first will not include a detailed Application and Enforcement section at this time (but I believe that some of our discussion notes / assumptions on that topic will be shared during the feedback session).

If you have experience as an AffComm, a functionary, or an admin of some sort and are interested in joining the UCOC Committee to work on Phase II, your voice would be welcome.

If you have any other questions about the UCOC process or document, please let me know.

RachelWex (talk) 15:00, 3 September 2020 (UTC)

Thanks for the update RachelWex. Sounds like it is progressing well. --- FULBERT (talk) 11:17, 5 September 2020 (UTC)

UCOC Draft for Review[edit]

Hello Everyone,

In case you did not see it, the English version of the Universal Code of Conduct is now available for review and comment:

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Universal_Code_of_Conduct/Draft_review

This document has been translated into 27 languages and those should be made available via the appropriate language wikis. An "official" invitation to review and comment will be made on wikimedia-l, but I thought I would share here in case people are not on that listserv.

RachelWex (talk) 22:00, 7 September 2020 (UTC)

Sunday September 20 Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network meeting[edit]

Birds of a feather flock together.

The Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network (SWAN) is a developing forum for all Wikimedia movement affiliates to share ideas on the Wikimedia 2030 strategy process. It expands on the model of the All-Affiliates Brand Meeting to help lay some of the groundwork for a future Global Council.

Following up on the August SWAN meeting and June's All-Affiliates Brand Meeting, as well as strategic and outreach topics of mutual concern to all affiliates, this month we are meeting on Sunday September 20, and you are all invited to RSVP here.--Pharos (talk) 01:53, 18 September 2020 (UTC)

SWAN Updates[edit]

Hi Folx,

I attended the Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network (SWAN) meeting on Sunday September 20, and wanted to share some updates that may be of interest to the Wikimedia LGBT+ group:

-- 2021 planning: WMF wants to know what affiliate group plans are for 2021 events, as they are trying to shore up funding for things and finalizing Rapid Grants. Affiliates have @ 5 weeks to come up with a 2021 plan if they are interested. I am going to put this on the agenda for this Thursday's Wikimedia LGBT+ meeting...in the meantime here are two documents to review to help decide whether or not we want to do anything: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Preparation_events_-_one-pager.pdf https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_2030

-- WMF Guidelines for In Person Events in the Near Future. WMF will allow some in person events in the near future, under the following guidelines: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Risk_assessment_during_COVID-19

-- Wiki 20 Celebration Events Survey: I think this is a survey for affiliate representatives to complete re: whether or not our affiliate group is doing anything for Wiki 20 Countdown. I just found out about it today, so maybe this will have to go on our Thu Sept 23 meeting agenda as well! https://wikimedia.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_4GyxYcdRSSM5M8J

SWAN meeting notes are available here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CkjsOzGpLqnFxPPs8lalbxdIiHLdYD6MGWCn6Lh0IdM/edit?usp=sharing

Sincerely, RachelWex (talk) 01:14, 21 September 2020 (UTC)

Thanks for the update RachelWex, yes, let's discuss more on our next meeting. Rajeeb (talk) 06:54, 21 September 2020 (UTC)

Printable ONE-PAGER promo for LGBT+ UG outreach?[edit]

Hi All - after a year in the group I find it important for us to go outside of Wikimedia ecosystem and do some outreach for new people to join or at least to inform of our work for potential support. I wonder if there was ever a printable ONE-PAGER promo for LGBT+ UG outreach? If yes could we link it somewhere prominent? If not is anyone up for doing this with me? --Zblace (talk) 07:04, 22 September 2020 (UTC)

A summary of what the UG actually does would be useful, avoiding things that some might wish for but we may not achieve. I suggest looking at the past UG reports which list past things delivered.
This might also be as simple as reviewing and updating the current portal/landing page and having a printable (maintained) version of that which could be used to support editathons and conferences. -- (talk) 07:36, 22 September 2020 (UTC)
Indeed portal update and maybe re-structuring/design would be useful, but I was thinking of new potential contributors and supporters, that would not get that close even to attend Wikimedia related events.--Zblace (talk) 07:12, 25 September 2020 (UTC)

Meeting Thu 24 September[edit]

Hello Everyone,

Due to some time sensitive issues that Wikimedia LGBT+ must decide how to address, we are having another September meeting.

Date: Thursday September 24, 2020 Time: 7 pm UTC / 9 pm CET / 2 pm EST (US) / 1 pm CST (US)
Meeting Link: https://meet.wmcloud.org/lgbt

Agenda:

-- Introductions

-- 2021 planning: WMF wants to know what affiliate group plans are for 2021 events, as they are trying to shore up funding for things and finalizing Rapid Grants. Affiliates have @ 5 weeks to come up with a 2021 plan if they are interested.
Two documents to review to help decide:

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Preparation_events_-_one-pager.pdf
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_2030

-- Wiki 20 Celebration Events Survey: https://wikimedia.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_4GyxYcdRSSM5M8J

-- UCOC updates if any are desired

-- any additions?

RachelWex (talk) 21:08, 23 September 2020 (UTC)

Our User Group Priorities for Implementation - 2021[edit]

As many of you know, the Movement Strategy process has identified 10 Recommendations that have been approved for the Movement Strategy. The next step in this process has started, with a request for Affiliates (such as us) to meet together and discuss our priorities. The request is for us to consider our needs in relation to the 45 specific clusters of initiatives that are most important for us. So, we should look these over and then begin speaking about them. I will try to summarize them and draft a potential "top 3" for us to select. We can also talk about this at our next meeting on October 8. --- FULBERT (talk) 18:46, 24 September 2020 (UTC)

Ideas for Funding: 2021 Rapid Grant Funding:[edit]

WMF wants a proposal from each affiliate group to determine how much money they will need to secure for 2021 Rapid Grants.

What programs, research, training materials, surveys, paid staff, or any other thing do we want Rapid Grant funding for in 2021?

Please list them here, and we will discuss these items at our October 8th meeting! RachelWex (talk) 20:32, 24 September 2020 (UTC)

Movement Strategy - What Are Your Choices For Implementation[edit]

Hello Wikimedia LGBT+,

The time has come to put Strategy into work and everyone's invited to participate.

The Movement Strategy Design Group and Support Team are inviting you to organize virtual meetings with your community and colleagues before the end of October. The aim is for you to decide what ideas from the Movement Strategy recommendations respond to your needs and will have an impact in the movement. The recommendations are available in different formats and in many languages. There are 10 awesome recommendations and close to 50 recommended changes and actions or initiatives. Not everything will be implemented. The aim of prioritization is to create an 18-month implementation plan to take some of the initiatives forward starting in 2021.

Prioritization is at the level of your group, affiliate, and community. Think local and relevant! Regional and thematic platforms are great ways to prepare and share ideas. Afterwards, we will come together in November to co-create the implementation plan. More information about November’s global events will be shared soon. For now and until the end of October, organize locally and share your priorities with us.

You can find guidance for the events, the simple reporting template, and other supporting materials here on Meta. You can share your results directly on Meta, by email, or by filling out this survey. Please don’t hesitate to get in touch with us if you have any questions or comments, strategy2030(_AT_)wikimedia.org

We will be hosting office hours to answer any questions you might have, Thursday October 1 at 14.00 UTC (Google Meet).

MPourzaki (WMF) (talk) 16:18, 25 September 2020 (UTC)

Free speech issue on English Wikipedia[edit]

A question came up about whether to permit individuals in English Wikipedia to bring statements about LGBT marriage into public spaces. Someone wanted to post the phrase "marriage is one man and one woman", which the LGBT+ community recognizes as hatemongering. I will not go into detail and I am not recommending any action or response, but I wanted to log some activity here as a historical record of LGBT related wiki policy. The discussion centered on a deletion proposal for user boxes.

Blue Rasberry (talk) 16:46, 16 October 2020 (UTC)

Regional Call for South Asia - Oct. 30[edit]

Hi everyone. The time has come to put Movement Strategy into work and we need your help. We are inviting South Asian communities, Indian Wikimedians, and anyone else interested to join a region-focused conversation on Movement Strategy and implementation. Please join us on Friday Oct. 30 at 19.30 / 7:30 pm IST (Google Meet).

The purpose of the meeting is to get prepared for global conversations, to identify priorities for implementation in 2021, and to plan the following steps. There are 10 recommendations and they propose multiple 45 initiatives written over two years by many Wikimedians. It is now up to communities to decide which ones we should work on together in 2021, starting with local and regional conversations. Global meetings will take place later in November when we will discuss global coordination and resources. More information about the global events will be shared soon.

  • What is work you’re already doing that is aligned with Movement Strategy?
  • What are priorities for you in 2021?
  • What are things we should all work on globally?

We would not be able to grow and diversify as a movement if communities from South Asia are not meaningfully involved in implementing the recommendations. Join the conversation with your questions and ideas, or just come to say hi. See you on Friday October 30.

A translatable version of this message can be found on Meta.

MPourzaki (WMF) (talk) 17:24, 19 October 2020 (UTC)

Sunday October 25 Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network meeting[edit]

Friendship is a movement value.

The Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network (SWAN) is a developing forum for all Wikimedia movement affiliates to share ideas on the Wikimedia 2030 strategy process. It expands on the model of the All-Affiliates Brand Meeting to help lay some of the groundwork for a future Global Council.

Following up on the September and August SWAN meetings, and June's All-Affiliates Brand Meeting, as well as strategic and outreach topics of mutual concern to all affiliates including the recent proposed changes to the Wikimedia Foundation Bylaws, this month we are meeting on Sunday October 25, and you are all invited to RSVP here.--Pharos (talk) 17:28, 20 October 2020 (UTC)