Jump to content

User talk:CristianCantoro

Add topic
From Meta, a Wikimedia project coordination wiki
Latest comment: 2 years ago by Bluerasberry in topic Tor and safety
Echo Since the activation of Echo (the notification system), I will answer on this page and mention you.

re: candidatura a OTRS[edit]

Figurati. Ci tengo a ribadire comunque che non c'è nulla di personale, spero che tu non te la sia presa a male. Ciao. --Brownout(msg) 14:45, 26 January 2010 (UTC)Reply


Ciao Cristian, non ci sono messaggi sulla pagina messaggio di italiano? il posso spostarla li, se vuoi. Grazie. Theo10011 18:13, 7 October 2010 (UTC)Reply

Amounts of money[edit]

I test hanno provato che suggerire quantità di denaro maggiori porta ad una media maggiore nelle donazioni che arrivano. --Elitre 08:09, 9 December 2010 (UTC)Reply

A occhio e croce il fundraising sta fallendo, quindi forse adesso la sensibilità la si può mettere anche da parte... In ogni caso i nostri discorsi sono alquanto futili, visto che il grosso arriva dagli USA. --Elitre 09:49, 13 December 2010 (UTC)Reply
Come dici tu, ci siamo già giocati Jimbo che ha sempre lanciato il rush finale (periodo natalizio); in più, non parlo a livello locale dove so che state andando bene ma a livello globale dove già in un paio di occasioni sono stati raccolti quotidianamente meno fondi che nell'anno passato e se non ho fatto male i calcoli siamo indietro rispetto a quanto dovremmo già avere e sotto alla media quotidiana che dovremmo mantenere nel caso in cui la raccolta continuasse con questo ritmo. Ovviamente non ho idea se ci saranno colpi di scena, grosse donazioni, matching donors e così via nelle prossime settimane. Infine, il fatto che il grosso delle donazioni venga dagli USA mi pare sia scritto nelle stats degli scorsi fundraising, ma magari mi sbaglio io. Comunque se ritrovo il dato poi te lo linko. Magari mi confondo con il fatto che sono quasi tutte in dollari, visto che moltissime altre valute non erano accettate, boh. --Elitre 10:04, 13 December 2010 (UTC)Reply
Comunque vedi qui, non sarà preciso ma è IMHO indicativo (non so perché molte delle pagine sul fundraising siano redirect a Fundraiser statistics...). Ugualmente interessante, File:Donor_survey_report_excerpts.pdf. --Elitre 10:09, 13 December 2010 (UTC)Reply


Se non segnali che la traduzione è stata aggiornata, nessuno se ne accorgerà mai e il lavoro andrà sprecato. --Nemo 09:41, 23 December 2010 (UTC)Reply

Translator, We need you![edit]

Dear CristianCantoro,

You have helped us in previous years with translations and for that we are most grateful. Now we turn towards the 2011/12 fundraiser. It may seem forever away, but work has already begun getting everything ready to go. This year we want to have landing pages covering as many countries in as many languages as possible.

Right now, we want to figure out who is interested in translating for the fundraiser. This year we're hoping to have more of a solidified "core" group of translators that we can count on to have work done by a few key dates, but we'd also welcome help from people who are willing to just help out when they can.

If you would be interested please take a look at this little sign-up survey and fill it out http://survey.wikimedia.org/index.php?sid=13638&newtest=Y&lang=en. With that we can start building a list of people and filling any gaps in the languages we serve.

Many Thanks

Joseph Seddon (User:Jseddon (WMF))

Production Coordinator
Wikimedia Foundation
Jseddon (WMF) 00:50, 9 July 2011 (UTC)Reply

Application to join Iberocoop[edit]

A month ago I sent to the mailing list of Iberocoop a registration application for Amical Viquipèdia. Galio told me that there were problems in the mailing list so a week later I wrote a copy of the application in the Iberocoop talk page.

As we have not received any answer yet I guess the list goes on with problems and perhaps no one is watching the Iberocoop page. So I leave this message to a representative of each of the participating chapters.

If you want we can have the comments and the dialogue about this issue in the Iberocoop talk page. --Gomà 12:38, 10 November 2011 (UTC)Reply

Your FDC statement[edit]

Hello Cristian - I am sorry to advise you that your candidate statement here is 1380 characters long, but the maximum size of the statement is 1200 characters. As this was not identified until after the candidacy period closed, you may have a 24 hour extension to correct this. Our apologies for the delay in notifying you. For the Election Committee, Risker (talk) 01:55, 18 May 2013 (UTC)Reply

The Signpost[edit]

Dear Cristian,

I've emailed you on a Signpost matter.

Kind regards, Tony (talk) 02:42, 18 May 2013 (UTC)Reply

Ach, and I've updated this with a few clarifications, which were my fault. Please do ask if anything is not clear now. All the best. Tony (talk) 09:06, 18 May 2013 (UTC)Reply

An Election Committee email was sent to you[edit]

Hello Cristian - Just following up to ensure that you received the email I sent you on behalf of the Election Committee with respect to identifying to the WMF. Please note that the deadline for response is 23:59 UTC tomorrow, May 19. Thanks for your attention to this. Risker (talk) 01:47, 19 May 2013 (UTC)Reply

Important announcement: Election delayed by one week[edit]

The Election Committee regrets to advise that it is necessary to delay the start of voting in the WMF Elections 2013 for one week. This delay is being implemented for three reasons:

  • We have been unable to verify that the list of eligible voters is complete and that all voters meet the published criteria
  • We have been unable to verify that the SecurePoll setups for the election are properly functioning
  • The voter interfaces have not been translated and are not currently available in any language other than English, thus disadvantaging Wikimedians who do not read English.

The following changes are now made to the Election timeline:

  • 8-22 June 2013: elections
  • 23-25 June 2013: vote-checking
  • 25-28 June: publication of results.

For the Election Committee, Risker (talk) 21:02, 31 May 2013 (UTC)Reply

Changes to WMCH's proposal form after the deadline[edit]

Hi, Cristian: Thank you for fixing some minor typos in WMCH's proposal form. We keep a rather strict policy around editing these pages after the proposal deadline since we do not even allow entities themselves to make changes unless they request permission from staff. At the request of entities, we do allow changes that are related to missing information, factual errors in the proposal, or that make the proposal significantly easier to navigate as these changes are sometimes essential. We generally avoid allowing or making changes for things like minor typos, as those types of errors in the proposal aren't considered by staff or the FDC during the review process and because in a honor system where pages aren't actually locked, it can be difficult to control the changes on a great many proposal forms and ensure the process is fair and consistent for all. We know that's not the usual wiki way, but we hope that makes sense. Thanks very much for your close readings of these proposals. Best regards, Winifred Olliff (Grants Administrator) talk 19:33, 17 October 2013 (UTC)Reply

By the way, an "easy" solution has been identified for this, i.e. to use FlaggedRevs on the grants pages: see Grants_talk:Retrospective_2009-2012#Fully_protect_grant_applications_after_they_have_been_funded. Anyone could edit freely and then the WMF grants&co. staff could easily mark what's the "official" grant text with a button. --Nemo 11:01, 31 October 2013 (UTC)Reply

Moved your post to another page[edit]

Hi Cristian, just letting you know that I moved your evaluation question to this page. It's a bit confusing perhaps, but the talk page you posted on is only for issues with the portal itself. We use the parlor to ask questions about evaluation. I'm not versed enough (yet) to respond to your question, but Frank and/or Jaime will be coming by to answer it. Thanks for your interest and participation - so glad you have you there. SarahStierch (talk) 18:14, 10 December 2013 (UTC)Reply


You have new messages
You have new messages
Hello, CristianCantoro. You have new messages at User talk:Programs:Evaluation_portal/Parlor/Questions.
You can remove this notice at any time by removing the {{Talkback}} or {{Tb}} template.

SarahStierch (talk) 01:01, 11 December 2013 (UTC)Reply

Editing FDC proposals[edit]

Hi Christian. I see you made an edit to WMFR's proposal. I'm not sure whether we should be making changes to grant proposals that we are then assessing; perhaps we're best off just leaving comments on the talk pages? Thanks. Mike Peel (talk) 19:20, 31 March 2014 (UTC)Reply

Hi Mike. I am completely aware of that, I was just fixing a couple of clearly recognizable issues (a missing <references /> and the movement vision statement). I am refraining to change anything else. -- CristianCantoro (talk) 19:32, 31 March 2014 (UTC)Reply
OK, cool. :-) Thanks. Mike Peel (talk) 19:33, 31 March 2014 (UTC)Reply
And by the way this is madness. How long before we use proper wiki tools like FlaggedRevs? --Nemo 16:51, 27 April 2014 (UTC)Reply

Please fill out our Inspire campaign survey[edit]

Thank you for participating in the Wikimedia Inspire campaign during March 2015!

Please take our short survey and share your experience during the campaign.

Many thanks,

Jmorgan (WMF) (talk), on behalf of the IdeaLab team.

23:34, 13 April 2015 (UTC)

This message was delivered automatically to Inspire campaign participants. To unsubscribe from any future IdeaLab reminders, remove your name from this list

Character limit on candidate presentation[edit]

Greetings, your current statement in your board candidate presentation appears to be 71 characters over the 1200 character (without spaces) limit. Right now, we would need to remove "this is why I am running for the board, because I want to bring my experience and view in." before we can send the statement in for translation. Please consider shortening it. Thank you --Varnent (talk)(COI) 17:38, 2 May 2015 (UTC)Reply

Hi Varnent, I have heavily edited my presentation. Now it should be in the limits (I count 1133 characters, not including whitespace). I tried to maintain the same structure and modify also the tags for the translation. Is this ok now? Thanks in advance. --CristianCantoro (talk) 18:28, 3 May 2015 (UTC)Reply
Using this tool it shows it at 1232 - still over the 1200 limit. --Varnent (talk)(COI) 18:34, 3 May 2015 (UTC)Reply
You are right, how strange (maybe I checked with a wrong version of the text). Now the tool gives 1187 characters after this edit. Thanks. --CristianCantoro (talk) 19:30, 3 May 2015 (UTC)Reply
That seems to be under the character limit - thank you! --Varnent (talk)(COI) 02:04, 5 May 2015 (UTC)Reply

Signpost inquiry[edit]

Hi, I've emailed you. Thanks. Tony (talk) 16:33, 10 May 2015 (UTC)Reply

Hi @Tony1: I have answered you. I kept it minimal, but I had to point out what I think is a mistake in part B. Cheers. --CristianCantoro (talk) 17:59, 10 May 2015 (UTC)Reply


Se vuoi incoraggiare la partecipazione, penso che sia necessario migliorare le traduzioni in italiano delle pagine principali relative alle elezioni, come Wikimedia Foundation elections/Board elections/2015/it. Al momento mi paiono alquanto incoerenti. --Nemo 06:41, 11 May 2015 (UTC)Reply

Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees Elections 2015[edit]

Dear candidate. My general opinion about administration of Wikimedia is negative. Many texts and images had been removed with pretext of protection of rights of the owners of the copyright owners. The special permissions by the copyright owners were just ignored, and removed together with the files. In particular, this refers to images of the Soviet dissidents and their texts.

Below I suggest only few examples in order to let you know what is happening: https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Sofiya_Kalistratova&oldid=649939072 https://ru.wikisource.org/w/index.php?title=Софья_Васильевна_Каллистратова&oldid=93595 https://ru.wikisource.org/w/index.php?title=Леонард_Борисович_Терновский&type=revision&diff=1312548&oldid=585736

I investigated the case and I revealed that many removals were performed by bureaucrat Lozman, who has absolutely no experience with obtaining permission from the copyright owners and does not even remember, who made him bureaucrat. However, this is only example.

Sorry for being late, but I just received the invitation to vote. You still have two days to change my opinion about at least one of the candidates suggested. One example of complain by the author is available at site TORI, http://mizugadro.mydns.jp/t/index.php/Kouznetsov,_permission I mention it because it has English version, although many Russian authors were offended in the similar way.

Now I formulate the question:

Do you think it is still possible to handle the cases mentioned?

Do you think that you can find time to deal with the cases mentioned?

Sincerely, Domitori (talk) 08:10, 28 May 2015 (UTC)Reply

Dear Domitori,
Thank you for contacting me.
First of all, let me point out that the administration Wikimedia (in the sense of "the administration of the Wikimedia Foundation") is a different thing from and he is performed by a different group of people than the ensemble of users (unregistered and registered, comprised the ones that have additional permissions like sysops, bureacrats and stewards) that manage the projects. The duty of the Board of Trustees of the Wikimedia Foundation is to provide he strategic guidance for the Wikimedia Foundation and for the Wikimedia movement. Since the WMF is the biggest organization in our movement and it manages, runs, and operates the technical infrastructure on which the projects live, this has many consequences on the projects themselves.
It is not part of the duty of the Board, though, to make decisions about specific cases on a single projects: this duty is with the people running the projects are the community of volunteers of which you and the bureaucrat Lozman - as many other volunteers - are both part. So you should reach out to other Commons users to discuss this case on Commons.
That said, the Board can provide guidance or deliberate about specific projects when the need arises (especially if there are law requirements that need to be enforced) and I believe that the Board can discuss some general policy about Wikimedia Commons to help its development, but I think that such decisions should not be driven by a specific case.
Furthermore, I am unable to make a judgement on the case you present, even at a personal level, because I do not know the details of it. If the images have a proper license or permission, and they are valuable (and it seems they are) then, as a volunteer, I would agree with you that the should be kept on commons and used on all the other projects.
I understand that probably my answer will not satisfy you or address your needs, as I said my advice to you is that you ask to other users on Commons to review this case and please keep in mind that the scope of the Board is different - and much wider - than arbitrating these cases.
Best regards,
--CristianCantoro (talk) 09:58, 28 May 2015 (UTC)Reply

French translation[edit]

Hi Christian,
You're statement on the French vote page is the only one in English. I'm a little surprised because if I remember correctly you write a quite good French. If not, here a proposal :

Participation et coopération sont des éléments clés du mouvement et de son esprit, la thèse de la confiance doit être bien établie [I'm not sure to well understand what you mean by purpose trust thesis). Nous devons développer un chemin loin de la mentalité du "nous contre eux " de l'internet d'Abebooks ("Abebooks web", this not clear for me) - expérimenté à de nombreuses occasions .
Je suis un activiste du logiciel libre, Wikipédien depuis 2007, j'ai l'expérience d'un conseil d'administration à Wikimedia Italie.
Je suis candidat au board de la fondation car je veux y apporter mon expérience et ma vision.

TCY (talk) 06:17, 29 May 2015 (UTC)Reply

Ciao TCY,
Merci pour ton aide. C'est vraiment étrange parce que le Comité des élections m'avait dit que la traduction des déclaration brèves pour la page de vote aurait été faite par des traducteur professionnel (pour assure que tous les candidates auront eu une traduction propre depuis le début de l'élection. Ta traduction est presque parfaite [j'entendais dire que la participation et la coopeération ont besoin que la confiance soit bien établie pour être efficace] , merci. --CristianCantoro (talk) 13:26, 29 May 2015 (UTC)Reply
Je voudrais aussi ajouter, TCY, que la référence à Abebooks a pas de sens pour moi. Je copie-colle ci-dessous le message (short statement) en anglais que j'ai envoyé au Comité des Élections:
Participation and collaboration are key elements of the movement and its spirit, but these need trust to be well established. We should develop a path away from the mentality of "us vs them" that we have experienced in many occasions.
I am a free software activist, Wikipedian since 2007 and I have board experience at Wikimedia Italy.
I am running for the board because I want to bring my experience and view in.
Je vais demander une explication. Merci! --CristianCantoro (talk) 13:33, 29 May 2015 (UTC)Reply

How can we improve Wikimedia grants to support you better?[edit]

Hi! The Wikimedia Foundation would like your input on how we can reimagine Wikimedia Foundation grants to better support people and ideas in your Wikimedia project.

After reading the Reimagining WMF grants idea, we ask you to complete this survey to help us improve the idea and learn more about your experience. When you complete the survey, you can enter to win one of five Wikimedia globe sweatshirts!

In addition to taking the the survey, you are welcome to participate in these ways:

This survey is in English, but feedback on the discussion page is welcome in any language.

With thanks,

I JethroBT (WMF), Community Resources, Wikimedia Foundation.

(Opt-out Instructions) This message was sent by I JethroBT (WMF) (talk · contribs) through MediaWiki message delivery. 01:23, 19 August 2015 (UTC)Reply

Last call for WMF grants feedback![edit]

Hi, this is a reminder that the consultation about Reimagining WMF grants is closing on 8 September (0:00 UTC). We encourage you to complete the survey now, if you haven't yet done so, so that we can include your ideas.

With thanks,

I JethroBT (WMF), Community Resources, Wikimedia Foundation.

(Opt-out Instructions) This message was sent by I JethroBT (WMF) (talk · contribs) through MediaWiki message delivery. 19:08, 4 September 2015 (UTC)Reply

Grazie per l'endorsement![edit]

Ciao @CristianCantoro,

volevo ringraziarti per i commenti e l'endorsement sulla proposta di progetto IEG StrepHit.

A presto,

--Hjfocs (talk) 09:03, 23 September 2015 (UTC)Reply

What future IdeaLab campaigns would you like to see?[edit]

Hi there,

I’m Jethro, and I’m seeking your help in deciding topics for new IdeaLab campaigns that could be run starting next year. These campaigns aim to bring in proposals and solutions from communities that address a need or problem in Wikimedia projects. I'm interested in hearing your preferences and ideas for campaign topics!

Here’s how to participate:

Take care,

I JethroBT (WMF), Community Resources, Wikimedia Foundation. 03:34, 5 December 2015 (UTC)Reply

Future IdeaLab Campaigns results[edit]

Last December, I invited you to help determine future ideaLab campaigns by submitting and voting on different possible topics. I'm happy to announce the results of your participation, and encourage you to review them and our next steps for implementing those campaigns this year. Thank you to everyone who volunteered time to participate and submit ideas.

With great thanks,

I JethroBT (WMF), Community Resources, Wikimedia Foundation. 23:56, 26 January 2016 (UTC)Reply

Inspire Campaign on content curation & review[edit]

I've recently launched an Inspire Campaign to encourage new ideas focusing on content review and curation in Wikimedia projects. Wikimedia volunteers collaboratively manage vast repositories of knowledge, and we’re looking for your ideas about how to manage that knowledge to make it more meaningful and accessible. We invite you to participate and submit ideas, so please get involved today! The campaign runs until March 28th.

All proposals are welcome - research projects, technical solutions, community organizing and outreach initiatives, or something completely new! Funding is available from the Wikimedia Foundation for projects that need financial support. Constructive feedback on ideas is welcome - your skills and experience can help bring someone else’s project to life. Join us at the Inspire Campaign to improve review and curation tasks so that we can make our content more meaningful and accessible! I JethroBT (WMF) 05:39, 29 February 2016 (UTC)Reply

(Opt-out Instructions) This message was sent by I JethroBT (WMF) (talk · contribs) through MediaWiki message delivery.

Open Call for Individual Engagement Grants[edit]

Greetings! The Individual Engagement Grants (IEG) program is accepting proposals until April 12th to fund new tools, research, outreach efforts, and other experiments that enhance the work of Wikimedia volunteers. Whether you need a small or large amount of funds (up to $30,000 USD), IEGs can support you and your team’s project development time in addition to project expenses such as materials, travel, and rental space.

With thanks, I JethroBT (WMF), Community Resources 15:56, 31 March 2016 (UTC)Reply

Through June, we’re organizing an Inspire Campaign to encourage and support new ideas focusing on addressing harassment toward Wikimedia contributors. The 2015 Harassment Survey has shown evidence that harassment in various forms - name calling, threats, discrimination, stalking, and impersonation, among others - is pervasive. Available methods and systems to deal with harassment are also considered to be ineffective. These behaviors are clearly harmful, and in addition, many individuals who experience or witness harassment participate less in Wikimedia projects or stop contributing entirely.

Proposals in any language are welcome during the campaign - research projects, technical solutions, community organizing and outreach initiatives, or something completely new! Funding is available from the Wikimedia Foundation for projects that need financial support. Constructive feedback on ideas is appreciated, and collaboration is encouraged - your skills and experience may help bring someone else’s project to life. Join us at the Inspire Campaign so that we can work together to develop ideas around this important and difficult issue. With thanks,

I JethroBT (WMF) (talk) 17:46, 31 May 2016 (UTC) (Opt-out instructions)Reply

Wikimedia CEE Online Meeting 2021 submission[edit]

Dear Cristian,

On behalf of the Wikimedia CEE Online Meeting 2021 programme committee, I am pleased to inform you that your submission "Measuring Central and Eastern Europe Wikipedias Growth and Renewal" has been accepted as a discussion, and it was scheduled for 14:35 (UTC) on Sunday, 7 November (see the draft schedule). Considering that the conference will have language interpretation from English into Russian and vice versa, you have the choice between English and Russian as a language that you will use in your session. If you have not yet registered for the conference, please follow the instructions on this page. In case you have any additional requests or questions, do not hesitate to contact me or any other committee member.

Best regards.--Kiril Simeonovski (talk) 09:34, 21 October 2021 (UTC)Reply

Tor and safety[edit]

We are having a discussion at Grants_talk:IdeaLab/A_Tor_Onion_Service_for_Wikipedia#Updates_related_to_2022_Russian_invasion_of_Ukraine.

Let me know if you make progress on this issue. Bluerasberry (talk) 00:53, 14 March 2022 (UTC)Reply