Wikimedia Foundation elections/2021/Candidate Requirements
The election ended 31 August 2021. No more votes will be accepted.
The results were announced on 7 September 2021. Please consider submitting any feedback regarding the 2021 election on the elections' post analysis page.
|2021 Board Elections|
|Single Transferable Vote|
The selection of trustees complies with the Wikimedia Foundation Board's duty of care. Trustees act in a reasonable, diligent, and informed manner, and apply the care that prudent persons would use. This duty of care applies to the careful selection of individuals to serve on the Board. Such individuals should not bring disrepute to the Board.
Roles and responsibilities as a Board Trustee
The Board of Trustees has oversight of the Wikimedia Foundation's operations. Good trustees enable good management through the CEO/Executive Director and indirectly, the staff. They do not manage the organization in its day-to-day operation. The Board's oversight role includes decision-making, monitoring, and leadership.
These responsibilities include:
- Making decisions considering strategy and organizational goals and policies;
- Monitoring the Wikimedia Foundation's performance, risks, finances, and compliance;
- Advising the CEO/Executive Director and senior staff using relevant expertise and experiences; and
- Communicating with the Wikimedia community regarding the Board role and responsibilities.
Trustees maintain the legal and ethical integrity of the organization. They also recruit and cultivate diversity on the Board. Trustees must always act in the best interest of the Wikimedia Foundation. Trustees may be selected through a community vote, but once on the Board, they are not community representatives.
Learn more about the role of the Board of Trustees in the Wikimedia Foundation Board Handbook.
Candidates must fulfill the duties of board and committee service. This includes inquiring into relevant issues, making informed decisions, and attending board meetings. The eligibility requirements for candidates are the same as for voters with these additional requirements:
- You must not have been convicted of a serious crime or any crime involving dishonesty or deception;
- You must not have been removed from a position at a non-profit organization or company because of mismanagement or misconduct;
- At the time of nomination or election, you may not be banned or blocked from any Wikimedia project for a period of 30 days or longer;
- If you only meet the voter eligibility requirements as an editor: Your first edit must have been before 9 June 2019;
- You must disclose your real name on your Candidate Application;
It is not possible to hold a position on the Board of Trustees under a pseudonym because Board Trustees identities are public record.
- You must be at least 18 years old and of legal age in your home country;
- You must submit proof of your identity and age to the Wikimedia Foundation; and
- If you are selected and appointed to the Board of Trustees, you must resign from any other board, governance, or paid positions at the Wikimedia Foundation, chapters, thematic organizations, and user groups.
- You may not link your application or statements to lists of endorsements or other platform pages, and may not run on a slate with other candidates.
- Applications accepted between 00:00 9 June 2021 (UTC) and 23:59 29 June 2021 (UTC). You can only change your application up to 3 days after submission, or by the close of the nomination period at 23:59 29 June 2021 (UTC). Minor spelling or translation corrections are acceptable outside of these times. (See note about Submission Corrections.)
- You must submit proof of your identity to the Wikimedia Foundation before 23:59 29 June 2021 (UTC). A member of the Election Committee will contact you about this after you apply.
Candidates who fail to meet the above requirements and deadlines will be disqualified.
Submit proof of identity to the Wikimedia Foundation
Candidates for this position must submit proof of identity and evidence of age of majority as a condition of candidacy. A copy of one of the following documents fulfills this:
- Driver's license
- Other official documentation indicating real name and age
This may be provided to the Wikimedia Foundation via email at secure-infowikimedia.org.
If you are one of the selected candidates, the Wikimedia Foundation may need to request additional identifying information in order to run a background check prior to your appointment to the Board.
How to submit your candidacy
If you are eligible, you can Apply to be a Candidate.