Wikimedia Mexico A.C. is the non-profit civic association chapter of the Wikimedia Foundation in Mexico, with the goal of promoting in this jurisdiction all of the projects of the Wikimedia Foundation.
- To reduce the gender gap in the access, representation and production of free knowledge.
- To promote linguistic, cultural and identity diversity in the production and representation of free knowledge.
- To promote the use of Wikipedia in schools, universities and academic institutions.
Culture Projects (GLAM)
- To establish participation agreements with cultural institutions.
- To promote the free licences use to preservation, use and diffusion of cultural products.
- To know the politics and tools of Wikipedia.
- To inform occasionally our values to the community.
- To promote the capacity building through the transfer of knowledge of Wikimedia projects and tools.
- To join into debates for free knowledge through technical analysis, criticisms and positioning.
The Education Program aims are integrate, read and edit Wikipedia in the classrooms with teachers and students.
We create alliances with cultural institutions and collectives to increase the quality and reliability of Wikipedia
Editatona is an initiative created in 2015 by Wikimedia Mexico to reduce the gender gap in Wikipedia and Wikimedia projects.
We have the aim that every linguistic and cultural community be represented in Wikipedia. Thereby, we thrust the collaboration with other organizations to edit and publish Wikipedia in the indigenous languages of Mexico.
It is an initiative created in 2016 by Wikimedia Mexico to invite the community to edit Wikipedia every Thursday and share theirs editions with the hashtag #JuevesWiki (#WikiThursday)
- President: Carmen Alcázar
- Vice president: Pepe Flores
- Secretary: Paulina Lordméndez
- Treasurer: Victoria Alcántara
- Vocal: Luis Álvarez
- Vocal: Omar Sandoval
- Vocal: Jackeline Bucio
According to Wikimedia México Assembly Resolution, June 9, 2018
- Executive Director: Claudia Muñoz
- Education Officer: José Reyes
- Communication Consulting: Claudia García
You can consult ours monthly reports here. (In Spanish)
You can consult ours annual reports here. (In Spanish)
Anyone interested in the creation, maintenance and promotion of Wikimedia México may add themselves to the list below.
- Saloca 03:49, 5 April 2010 (UTC)
- --Rαge 03:52, 5 April 2010 (UTC)
- es:Drini 03:52, 5 April 2010 (UTC)
- --Ivanmartinez 04:02, 5 April 2010 (UTC)
- --Jaontiveros 04:43, 5 April 2010 (UTC)
- --Yodigo 18:48, 5 April 2010 (UTC)
- ----Salvador alc 15:56, 6 April 2010 (UTC)
- --yavi : : cáhan 16:28, 6 April 2010 (UTC)
- --Battroid 03:06, 7 April 2010 (UTC)
- -- Gustavo Rodríguez DISCUSIÓN
- --Alvaro qc 04:06, 29 June 2010 (UTC)
- --Marrovi 15:55, 31 July 2010 (UTC)
- El Ágora 05:46, 15 August 2010 (UTC)
- Sergiozaragoza 05:44, 07 September 2010 (UTC)
- Acrux 21:42, 30 September 2010 (UTC)
- Thelmadatter 15:34, 1 October 2010 (UTC)
- Fitoschido 04:34, 7 October 2010 (UTC)
- Correogsk (a) Gustavo Sandoval Kingwergs 07:59, 15 November 2010 (UTC)
- Azcarlos2 02:00, 6 January 2011 (UTC)
- Jesus.Herrera 09:17, 7 January 2011
- .salazar.Rodriguez 18:40, 7 January 2011
- Tamaliike 22:40, 11 January 2011
- Orionblack 22:02, 14 January 2011
- Oquitzin Azcatl 04:26 14 ene 2011 (UTC)
- Evelazquez77 20:46 20 ene 2011 (UTC)
- --Carlosolis 06:12, 17 February 2011 (UTC)
- --Rcvelascoe 15:01, 24 February 2011 (UTC)
- --Jovan.ray 15:05, 24 February 2011 (UTC)
- AlexCovarrubias 01:45, 4 March 2011 (UTC)
- Nsaum75 03:13, 4 March 2011 (UTC)
- DrMel (talk) 12:28, 25 February 2017 (UTC)
In order to keep you informed about the activities of the chapter, we suggest that you add yourself to the following list: lista pública de correos.
About the chapter
- Borrador de estatutos (in Spanish and English), in process of making the final translation, and presenting to the Chapter Committee of the Wikimedia Foundation.
- Minutas (Minutes) of the assorted face-to-face and/or online (IRC) meetings.
- Proyectos (Projects) for the chapters to move forward.
- Directorio (Directory) of Wikimedians in Mexico.
- Work Group proposals with the aim of defining the structure and goals for the pro-chapter work group.
- Proyecto conjunto Wikimedia México - Consejo Nacional de Alianzas Educativas NCCEP-México.
- September 24, 2011 - "Wikipedia, o de como el software libre construye la suma del conocimiento humano", talk on Software Freedom Day, Mexico City. Images here
- September 12, 2011 - Meeting for the constitution of the Wikipedia Student Club in Facultad de Filosofía y Letras, UNAM.
- September 1, 2011 - Meeting for the constitution of the Wikipedia Student Club in Facultad de Economía, UNAM.
- August 23, 2011 - Wikicode training of National Council for Community and Education Partnerships in Mexico City office.
- August 16, 2011 - Visit of the centers of the Innovation and Learning in Ciudad Nezahualcoyotl, Mexico.
- August 12, 2011 - Meeting with Learning and Innovation Network (RIA) in order to create student clubs Wikipedia in the State of Mexico, and initiatives with Wikibooks and Wikinews.
- August 7, 2011 - Wikimania 2011 - Talk by Iván Martínez and Dennis Tobar of Wikimedia Chile: "Wikipedia and Wikinews: differences between news articles and encyclopedic news".
- July 9 - First upload to Wikimedia Commons as part of the agreement between WM-MX and the Museum of Folk Art in Mexico City.
- July 1 - Signing of Commitment Letter between Ivan Martinez, general coordinator of WM-MX and Hector Garza Cantú, international president of NCCEP.
- 24 to June 26, 2011 - Ibero-American Wikimedia Summit 2011 in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Final Declaration (in Spanish) and multimedia files of the meeting.
- GLAMcamp NYC, from 22 to 24 May in New York, USA.
- June 18 - Meeting with Thelmadatter, Jaontiveros, AlejandroLinaresGarcia, FreddyAM and ProtoplasmaKid in Mexico City.
- May 30 - First Meeting of the Club Wikimedia Colima, as a part of Wikimedia Mexico Occidente.
- May 25 - "Wikipedia and the power of knowledge" conference by Ivan Martinez in the auditorium of the University of Colima; Wiki Editing Workshop by Salvador Alcantar and Gustavo Sandoval Kingwergs.
- May 20 - "The Wikipedia phenomenon" conference at "DivecFest 2011", Guadalajara, Jalisco, by Salvador Alcantar and Eduardo Velázquez Mora.
- May 19 to May 22, 2011 - Leigh Thelmadatter attends GLAM Camp in New York City.
- May 17, 2011 - preliminary agreement between the Museum of Popular Art and Wikimedia México
- April 4, 2011 - Proposal created for the Museum of Popular Art in Mexico City. Waiting for reply.
- March 4, 2011 - Meeting with the Instituto Nacional de Lenguas Indigenas (National Institute of Indigenous Languages) and others about Wikipedias in Nahuatl and other indigenous languages.
- February 22, 2011 Meeting at the offices of NCCEP-México
- February 12, 2011 with Ivanmartinez, Carlossolis, Thelmadatter, and Correogsk, regarding the creation of work groups for various projects, such as creating Wikipedias in indigenous languages and in cooperation with the Museum of Modern Art.
- January 29, 2011 - Celebración de los diez años de Wikipedia en Guadalajara, Jalisco.
- January 15, 2011 - Celebración de los diez años de Wikipedia en la Ciudad de México
- January 9, 2011 - Meeting with Acrux, Carlossolis, Correogsk, Ivanmartinez, Luzazul and Tamaliike, concerning the 10th anniversary of Wikipedia and other pending matters.
- November 6, 2010 - II Encounter of Wikepedians in México
- June 14, 2010 - Meeting with Rage, Saloca and Jaontiveros.
- March 27, 2010 - I Encounter of Wikipedians in Mexico.
Objectives of the chapters
(From the FAQ)
Chapters exist to further the goals of Wikimedia. They do so by engaging in a wide range of activities, which include but are not limited to the following:
- Promoting the Wikimedia projects so that new and different people join them or use them (academics, scientists, college students, schools, libraries etc.)
- Investigating and negotiating partnerships on a moral or financial basis to support the Wikimedia projects
- Helping outside organizations use Wikimedia content, possibly for their own benefit (eg. help publishers of local history Wikireaders, of a Wikipedia DVD in a given language)
- Organizing local and national events and initiatives (eg. participate in trade shows, set up Wikipedia parties, give lectures etc.)
- Taking care of PR and lobbying in a given country, giving the press an interlocutor in their own language and culture
- Enabling (where applicable) tax-deductible donations in the country they are based in
- Promoting free content and wiki culture in their respective territory