Wikisource Community User Group/2018 Report
Report of the Wikisource Community User Group for 2018.
Wikimedia Conference 2018
17-22 April in Berlin : Wikimedia Conference 2018/Wikisource Community User Group, poster, lightning talk and a meetup.
18-22 July in Cape Town : Wikisource Meetup at Wikimania
- Nelson Mandela diary were made available during the Wikimania.
3-5 November : State of the Wikisources (panel)
27-29 November : Discussion on Etherpad
- Broader adoption of Google Cloud OCR API. (OCR4Wikisource (Q30061329)) python tool is being used by various Wikisource communities. Recently, Indic-TechCom/Tools/IndicOCR has been created which allows on-wiki OCR in Indic language Wikisource.
- Active work on the migration of bibliographic metadata to Wikidata. The Wikisource MediaWiki extension has been created to make language links and the other project sidebar work with the edition/work Wikidata structure using has edition (P747) and edition or translation of (P629). A user script has also been created to easily extract and import metadata contained in a Wikisource page to Wikidata based on a new microdata schema.
Community Wishlist Survey 2019
The Wikisource community took part in the Community Wishlist Survey 2019 and cast 455 votes from 170 contributors for 11 Wikisource-related proposals (on a total of 212 proposals). The top five are:
It's the first time that a Wikisource proposal make it to the top ten. The involvement of the community was also more high than the previous years, a lot of message were sent through multiples channels (mailing list and social media) and there is now high hope for technical solutions.
The post on the Wikimedia Foundation blog Meet some featured Wikimedia volunteers from India (by Krishna Chaitanya Velaga, July 3rd, 2018) mentions several times Wikisources.
- Maillist stats:
|Number of messages||32||7||24||42||5||14||13||3||10||22||18|
- Wikipedia volunteers and free knowledge leaders gather in Cape Town for the first annual “Wikimania” conference in sub-Saharan Africa, By Wikimedia Foundation, July 20th, 2018
- 12 proposals if you count Community Wishlist Survey 2019/Wiktionary/Insert attestation exploiting Wikisource as a corpus (more related to Wiktionary but rely on Wikisource).