Community Wishlist Survey 2020/Wikiversity/Export published WikiJournal articles to DOCX or PDF
Jump to navigation Jump to search
The survey has concluded. Here are the results!
- Problem: After a WikiJournal paper has been accepted for publication, it requires a labour-intensive process to customize the layout, formatting and front page. This process is currently done manually and will become an impediment as the journal scales up and accepts more submissions. The previous PDF generator has been offline for a while.
- Who would benefit: WikiJournal editors in particular, and anyone who prefers to read content in a PDF format (including Wikibooks).
- Proposed solution: The current process becomes automated upon article acceptance.
- More comments: Related: Wikibooks#EPUB_generation
- Phabricator tickets:
- Proposer: OhanaUnitedTalk page 14:40, 1 November 2019 (UTC)
- Support PDF generation. I'm not sure about DOCX, but certainly exporting PDFs is a very common feature of academic publishing. —Justin (koavf)❤T☮C☺M☯ 19:39, 2 November 2019 (UTC)
- This is a good point, there are other projects and subcommunities in Wikiversity, who may benefit. We used to publish an educative magazine on Czech Wikiversity. Juandev (talk) 08:36, 4 November 2019 (UTC)
- Would this feaure allow export of any wiki page? I think that it would be useful for offline use of articles from other wikis. If a reader just copies text from a page into a word processor, it is likely that the resulting document won't have the correct attribution. If the wiki offers a word processor friendly export, we can facilitate correct offline reuse. The format need not be Docx, but should be somthing that opens easily in Microsoft Word, Google Docs, Libre Office or elsewhere. AlasdairW (talk) 23:32, 7 November 2019 (UTC)
- Docx is useless and impossible to support. ODT is perfectly fine and was supported by the mw:Extension:Collection (as developed by PediaPress) before the WMF destroyed it a few years ago. Nemo 09:21, 22 November 2019 (UTC)
- Support Would be very valuable to both this project and likely have side-benefits for the other projects, especially if templates/pages can be added as headers, footers and coverpages etc. T.Shafee(Evo﹠Evo)talk 09:40, 22 November 2019 (UTC)
- Support Scott Thomson (Faendalimas) talk 15:20, 22 November 2019 (UTC)
- Support MavropaliasG (talk) 05:55, 23 November 2019 (UTC)
- Support Steven Fruitsmaak (Reply) 02:18, 25 November 2019 (UTC)
- Support Sewepb (talk) 07:20, 25 November 2019 (UTC)
- Support MarieVirtuElle (talk) 13:54, 25 November 2019 (UTC)
- Support Lionel Scheepmans ✉ Contact French native speaker, sorry for my dysorthography 15:31, 25 November 2019 (UTC)
- Support Liuxinyu970226 (talk) 15:38, 25 November 2019 (UTC)
- Support Romuald 2 (talk) 16:23, 25 November 2019 (UTC)
- Support 游魂 16:59, 25 November 2019 (UTC)
- Support Saguaromelee (talk) 17:56, 25 November 2019 (UTC)
- Support Having done the conversion project, I know the time commitment. This is a needed enhancement to help expand participation. Smvital (talk) 18:14, 25 November 2019 (UTC)
- Support--AmyFou (talk) 18:40, 25 November 2019 (UTC)
- Support --Alaa :)..! 16:30, 27 November 2019 (UTC)
- Support Omotecho (talk) 14:12, 28 November 2019 (UTC)
- Support AlasdairW (talk) 22:28, 28 November 2019 (UTC)
- Support in the hope that this will allow us to finally fix PDF downloads from the book creator, which has been nonfunctional for years now. Mx. Granger (talk) 00:07, 30 November 2019 (UTC)
- Support Eyoungstrom (talk) 19:24, 30 November 2019 (UTC)
- Support Gilles Sahut (talk) 12:02, 1 December 2019 (UTC)
- Support MTheiler (talk) 15:15, 1 December 2019 (UTC)
- Support Dirk Hünniger (talk) 15:31, 1 December 2019 (UTC) Just use the server I already provide for that https://mediawiki2latex.wmflabs.org/. DOCX will not be supported by me to do legal restrictions of the format itself, but Odt works.
- Support PDF has value; not so sure about DOCX. Also this would seem to have overlap with WikiSource#Improve export of electronic books. czar 03:20, 2 December 2019 (UTC)
- Support Novak Watchmen (talk) 17:38, 2 December 2019 (UTC)