Big Fat Brussels Meeting V
Wikimedians meet policy people
Wikimedia's 2018 policy meeting will take place on 28&29 April in Brussels. This year we will focus thematically on wrapping up the EU copyright reform and on preparing the "public sector information" reform. Wikimedians will meet a variety of policy people working in Brussels at and with the European Parliament, the Council and the European Commission to learn first hand how policy is made. We will also draft at least one binding follow-up action in each participating country which the policy team in Brussels will help make happen.
28 and 29 April 2018 (Saturday & Sunday)
The Fox&WEASEL - Mozilla & Wikimedia working space in Brussels
Rue du Trône 51 Troonstraat
- Busses: 22, 27, 34, 38, 64, 71, 80, 95
- The metro station is "Trône/Troon"
If your chapter, user-group or organisation doesn't provide travel funding, or if you are an individual, the Free Knowledge Advocacy Group EU has travel budget to help you out. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
There are three main public policy processes going on in Brussels that are of major interest to Wikimedia: the EU copyright reform, the measures to fight against illegal content online (online take-down rules) and a Data Economy Rerform Package (public sector information and database rights).
A main aspect of the copyright reform and the "tackling illegal content" initiative is the desire by many stakeholders and European government to better control online content, which is why we will focus on this. In practice this means that we will be dealing with upload filters, take down notices, "stay down issues", as well as intermediary liability and censorship in general.
Previous meetings were work...
On Day 0 we will meet in the evening with the earlycomers for dinner and a drink.
On Day 1 we will gain on overview of the the ongoing legislative initiatives and then spend most of the day talking to policy makers and staffers about how "Brussels works".
On Day 2 We will share the most interesting national policy actions of the past 12 months and plan activities for each participating country for the coming year.
The key desired outputs is:
- Every participant should come up and plan at least one concrete action that will be executed in her/his country of origin with the help of the Brussels policy team.
Day 0 - Friday - 27 April
Welcome drinks @ 19:30 @ London Calling (Place de Londres/Londonplain)
(not paid for by organiser)
Day 1 - Saturday - 28 April
||Meeting policy people
||Walk in, coffee
||Copyright Reform Briefing
||Lunch (paid for by organiser)
||Meetings with policy people
||Wrap-up and intro for Sunday
Day 2 - Sunday - 29 April
Consider getting a good breakfast. Snacks (sandwiches/wraps/salad) will be provided, but we won't have a proper lunch break.
||Planning national and local actions
||Walk in, coffee
||Sharing national/local public policy activities
||Dealmakers & dealbreakers of a copyright campaign
||Group work - plan public policy actions in your region
||Presentation of plans
Confirm you presence
Please sign here if you'll attend the meeting:
- Dimi z (talk) 16:24, 6 March 2018 (UTC)
- Wittylama (talk) 16:50, 12 March 2018 (UTC)
- Ainali (talk) 20:29, 12 March 2018 (UTC)
- --- Darwin Ahoy! 12:52, 13 March 2018 (UTC) (already here)
- GilGC 15:32, 19 March 2018 (UTC)
- Aktron (talk) 12:49, 21 March 2018 (UTC)
- Smirkybec (talk) 13:06, 21 March 2018 (UTC)
- --Theredmonkey (talk) 10:57, 29 March 2018 (UTC) TBC
- Boberger 09:20, 23 April 2018 (UTC)
- Susanna Ånäs (Susannaanas) (talk) 21:23, 24 April 2018 (UTC)
- Arriving Saturday at lunch. - Laurentius (talk) 12:00, 26 April 2018 (UTC)
- Arriving Saturday evening: John Weitzmann (WMDE) (talk) 18:13, 26 April 2018 (UTC)
- Joao Vasconcelos 21:23, 26 April 2018 (UTC)
- Romaine (talk) 11:56, 27 April 2018 (UTC)
- Kulttuurinavigaattori (talk) 16:41, 27 April 2018 (UTC)
- Wendy the Weasel (talk) 17:16, 27 April 2018 (UTC) - I pay for the first round of drinks, got budget from WMBE
- Pengaroo & Pengarino
Confirmed by mail:
Big Fat Brussels Meeting 4
Big Fat Brussels Meeting - Episode 3
Big Fat Brussels Meeting - Volume 2
The inaugural Big Fat Brussels Meeting
Brussels Before It Was Big And Fat