Grants:Conference/R Ashwani Banjan Murmu/Annual Anniversary cum Conference of Santali Wikipedia
Purpose and vision The purpose of the event is to bring together the existing and new active contributor of the santali wikipedia and exchange their experiences and issues in santali wikipedia.
Please give a brief description of the event you are planning. What do you hope to accomplish during the event? Why is this event important for your community?
The event is exclusively meant for active user of santali wikipedia. In this two days events the active user of santali wikipedia will listen from the experience wikipedians of Odia Wikipedia, Bangla wikipedia and Punjabi Wikipedia. The event will try to cover all the common issues and challenges for santali wikipedia as well as the basic and significance of other projects like Meta-Wiki, Commons,Wikidata will also be discussed.
Please add key information to the table below. The dates, location and number of participants can be estimates and do not need to be finalized at this time.
|Proposed date(s)||22- August 2020- 23-August 2020|
|Proposed location||Bhubaneswar, odisha, India|
|Number of participants||35|
|Primary contact person||R Ashwani Banjan Murmu|
The Santali Wikipedia was live on 2nd August 2018 after continious efforts of contributor from India, Bangladesh and Nepal. After one year the Santali Wikipedia Community is planing to conduct a Annual Conference.This workshop would be exclusively for the active contributors of the Santali Wikipedia. This conference will cover the detail idea about all the sister project of Wikipedia and issues and dificulties is santali wikipedia.The gender equity Wikipedia will be the one of the major concern of this conference. For all the discussion and deliberation Santali Wikipedia is planning to invite Wikipedian fron Odia Wikipedia, Punjabi Wikipedia, Bengali Wikipedia .
Use the results from the community engagement survey to fill in the table below. Since you cannot cover all topics or meet all needs at one event, prioritisation is important. Please rank the priority of each topic, skill, project or problem as high, medium or low. Finally, please answer the questions below the table.
What are the top issues affecting your community that need to be discussed in person?
|The issues affecting the community like the technical issues to contribute santali wikipedia,learning about new projects, skills to contribute quality articles are needed to discuss in top priority.||High|
Are there important skills that many people in your community need to learn?
|There is need of improvement in quality or articles in Santali wikipedia. The new contributors are to be trained to improve their skill to upstandard their articles. Discussion on wiki tools and other sister projects of Wikipedia like Wiki Commons, Wiki Data should also be gradually done.||Medium|
Are there joint projects that need to be planned in person?
|Santali Wikipedia has evolved from the support Odia Wikipedia in India and Wikimedia Bangladesh Chapter in Bangladesh. In the past one year we have grwon with the support and input of other wikipedia community of India and Wikipedian of the globe and CIS-A2K also. This conference is also proposed for presence of some of the contributors from the Odia Wikipedia, Bangla Wikipedia ,Punjabi wikipedia for key inputs for the development of Santali Wikipedia.||Medium|
Are there other in-person activities are important for community building?
|Yes , the community building is required for santali wikipedia as Santali Wikipedia contributors are from India, Bangladesh and Nepal and We have found some cultural differences among the Santals of India, Bangladesh and India, therefore the community building will help us to discuss or address or compile or merge those cultural difference during the write-up of articles for Santali Wikipedia.||High|
- How many people did you send the survey to? How many people responded to the survey?Survey has been sent to 30 Users from the santali wikipedia from which we have got response from 30 users and we are also discussing the same on our our social media group regarding our priorites of our event and have brought consensus.It may be noted that the total no of participant is 35 out of which 6 person are from non-santali wikipedia community to whom we have invited as resoursce person to address the two days workshp. The name of these user are given below.Therefore the survey has been send to only 30 user.
- Did you see consensus around shared goals that this community wants to focus on in the next 12 months? What were the top 2 goals?Technical Understanding (Editing tools, citation tools, anti vandalism tools, translating tools) and quality of articles are shared goals that this community wants to focus on in the next 12 months. Currently we feel both the new user and old user lacks Skill and Technical Understanding to contribute Wikipedia.We believe the technical Understanding of the page creation will lead to the contribution of quality articles. We will try to observe what will be the rate of contribution and quality of articles after event in every three months. We will try to asses and try to bring out what are the other issues which will be for the betterment and devlopment of santali wikipedia.They will be discussed in any future events subsequently.
- Based on survey responses, what are the most important things your community should do at the conference to achieve those goals?We have prioritise this goal and have planned to give sufficient time to discuss and resolve this issue in our events. We have invited the experience users of wikipedia from the Indic Wikipedia Community as the resoursce person they are Satdeep Gill Subhashish Panigrahi Tito Dutta Sumita Roy Jnanaranjan sahu Sailesh Patnaik who will address all the issues of santali wikipedia community in these two days event.On the basis of survey responses propoertionately longer duration of time will be allocated for disscussion on Technical Understanding and Quality of Articles. We will have the suggestion to the resoursece person for complete demonstration on the Good Standard of Articles citing uses and advantage of all the tools used in Wikipedia.
It is helpful to get an understanding of why this event is important to your community, and what experiences you have had in the past. Please answer the applicable questions below.
- 1. What inspired your community to begin planning this event?
- Santali Wikipedia have completed one year after being live, between this one year we have conducted workshop in Bangladesh and India to mobilise new contributors. We have also conducted outreach programme to motivate the people for wikipedia. The Santali Wikipedia Contributors thought there must be one event for the contributors of Santali Wikipedian in a year to share the experiences as well as to learn and develop skills from other wikipedia community. The event which will eventualaly help to grow the ability and efficiency of the contributors.Thus we planned for this event.
- 2. How does this event relate to other activities that your community is working on?
- We are trying to increse the number of contributors through outreach events and through social media.By now we have conducted four wikipedia workshop in India and Bangladesh.Currently there was one month editathon is going on the ocassion of 1st Anniversary of Santali Wikipedia from 2nd August 2019 to 2nd September 2019.Contributers of Santali Wikipedia are also participatiing in the editathon like Wiki Asia Month, Wiki Loves Women, Project Tiger Editathon etc. After attending this event we are hopeful that they will be more skilled and more efficient in participating these event. They will be confident enough to share and ideas regarding the wikipedia among the people. They can promote the wikipedia by themselves.
- 3. Please list the priorities identified in the report from the last conference organized by this community. What progress have you made in those areas?
- The Priorities are as follows 1.Technical Understanding 2. Quality of Articles 2.Knowing Wikipedia and Other Wikimedia Projects 3. Community Building 4. Building Leadership 5. Gender Equity in Santali Wikipedia. The proposed conference will be the first conference of Santali Wikipedia how ever in the past events and workshop the priorities identified are to increase the number of participants for Santali Wikipedia.Originally the incubator of this page was started with 8 users after conducting these events and currently it has an average of 20 active users every month.
- 4. If your community has hosted a similar conference in the past, what key lessons were learned, and what would you like to improve on?
- In all our last events we had large number of participants (target groups) ranging from 40-75, so we have also resolved reduced it to maximum possible fraction to make it more productive. Even if there will be large no of participant we will make it in to small fraction or group. After the completion every session we will have the review of intake of the session in these group to ensure the output from the each session and the quality time spend on it. Each group will be guided by one resoursce person to make it more friendly and comfortable.
Venue and Logistics
- 1. If the venue is more than 1 hour away from a major airport or transportation hub, how will participants travel to the event venue?
- The venue of the event is Bhubaneswar. The Bhubaneswar Biju Patnaik International Airport BBI is located here, all the participants with in India, Bangladesh and Nepals can reach here conviniently. For the participants those who dont have AIR as means of transport can reach here through bus and train as fastest means of transport within Odisha.The place of events will be within the radius of 10 KM from the Bhubaneswar Airport, Railway Station and Bhubaneswar Bus Stop.
- 2. Is the event venue within walking distance from the hotel? If not, how will people travel between the two locations?
- The conference hall and hotel of resident will be one and same place.
- 3. Is the event venue and hotel accessible for people with physical disabilities?
- 4. Do you anticipate any challenges with using the space for the event you are planning?
- Its not so, care is taken for best spacious place for the events.
Friendly space policy
Please link to the friendly space policy that your community will be using for this event.
- The friendly space policy for Wikimedia Foundation events will be used for this event.
It is crucial that most participants have a minimum level of Wikimedia experience so that they can engage actively in workshops and discussions. Please answer all applicable questions below.
- 1. Please describe the target audience for this conference or event.
- Target audience are the contributors of Santali Wikipedia preference will be made to the contributor who dont had any opportunity to attend any capacity building and skill development workshop conducted by santali Wikipedia.The number of participation will be limited to the number of user consulted with the communication team and scholarship teamof the event by 30th of January 2020
- The Santali Wikipedia is committed for gender eqity within its community, in order to respect the gender equity and achive this goal the designated Scholasrship Team will have the delegation to recommend at least two female contributors name not having sufficient articles to participate in the conference.
- 2. If your conference has an outreach component, how will you ensure engagement with these participants after the conference, and what impact do you see them having on the projects?
- The event is being conducted after the suggestion and opinion of most contributors of santali Wikipedia. Inspite of that we will conduct the post event follow-up and review the contribution of the the participant and put a comparative analysis between prior and post event contribution. Looking after the contribution either its a regressive or progressive we will draw feed back and input from them.If the resut is progressive community will try to make it more better in its next conference.If it is regressive community will analyse them for the short term the community will try to arrange any online workshop or a small meet-up to overcome any kind of issues pertaining the contribution to the wikipedia. However these feedback will be taken care during the next events.
- 3. Are you thinking about inviting WMF staff to attend or participate in the event? If yes, please list individuals or teams who you may want to invite, or describe how you would like WMF staff to be involved in the event.
- 1. How many scholarships would you like to offer?
- 26 Scholarships for Wikipedians from India
- 6 Scholarships for Wikipedians from Bangladesh
- 1 Scholarships for Wikipedians from Nepal
- 2. What expenses will the scholarship cover?
- The Scholarship will cover travel expenses from the home town to the event venue of Bhubaneswar for all participants The means of travel must be the shortest means of transport from the participant home town to Bhubaneswar.
- The scholasrship will also cover the food and accomodation for the two full day events and dinner of one day before the events.
- 3. How will scholarship recipients be selected?
- The Scholarship receipents will be selected on the basis of preference of organising desisgnated team preferene will be subject to the request made by the 30th january 2020.
- The Scholarship receipents from other Indic wikipedia community are the resoursce person who will be addressing the important issues of Santali Wikipedia.
Resources and risks
Describe the resource potential for successfully executing this project and the key risks/threats.
- Organizing team
|WMF Liaison||Satdeep Gill|
|Logistics||R Ashwani Banjan Murmu, Manik Soren|
|Conference Program||R Ashwani Banjan Murmu, Ramjit Tudu|
|Scholarships||Maina Tudu, Fagu Baskey, Subas Murmu|
|Communications||R Ashwani Banjan Murmu, Ramjit Tudu|
|Volunteer Coordinators||Fagu Baskey, Prasanta Hembram, Joy Sagar Murmu|
|Other team members||Bijendra Hansda Purudhul, Biriya Charan Tudu, Sundar Mohan Soren|
Examples of risks, along with how you would minimize or overcome them, are:
- Community will be organizing the such events for the 1st time.
Examples of how to minimize these risks include:
- CIS who is our fiscal sponsor have a long record in organizing such events our community will be guided with them.
- Good Co-ordination and support from the Indic Wikipedia community. As we are conducting this conference at Bhubaneswar Odisha where we will have the support of Odia wikipedia community.
- Good Co-ordination among the santali wikipedian. Ramjit Tudu and R Ashwani Banjan Murmu have the experience of holding workshop and small outreach event. Maina Tudu has attended the Train The Trainer-2019 and this year one or two member may also attend this event. The Train-the-Trainer (TTT) programme is an event to support and groom leadership skills in the Indic wikipedia members. So the role of all these participant will be verymuch helpful during the conduct of event.
- Event budget table
Annual Anniversary cum Conference of Santali Wikipedia
|2||Hotel Room For Accomodation||216000||3027.26||Rs2057/- per night per person for 3 nights for 35 persons.|
|3||Food||199500||2796.01||This will include:
|4||T-Shirt||21000||294.32||Event Santali Wikipedia T-Shirt for 35 Persons @Rs600/- whih will include printing cost and cost of T-Shirt|
|5||Editathon||5000||70.08||On the Ocassion of 1st Anniversary of Santali Wikipedia, a Editathon to be conducted from 2nd August 2020 to 2nd September 2020. Top three contributor in this Editathon will be awarded with Diary, Certificate and Special T-Shirts.|
|7||Card and Stickers||1500||21.02|
|8||Flex and Banners||15000||210.23|
|11||Travel Expenses||325000||4554.91||This includes AIR fare of 6 individual from Bangladesh 1 individual from nepal, 2 from Bangalore 1from Gujurat and 5 from Kolkata 1 from Assam 2from Ranchi 2from Visakapatnam and train and bus fare of 6 individual and local conveyance of all participants.|
|CIS Fees||80750||1131.71||CIS will charge the 10% of the total grant for his management and co-ordination|
- The Centre for Internet Society, Bangaluru, India (https://cis-india.org/ CIS) will be the fiscal sponsor of this event.
- Total cost of event
- Rs 8,07,500/- INR
- Total amount requested from the Conference and Event Grants program
- Rs 8,88,250/- INR
- Additional sources of revenue that may fund part of this event, and amounts funded
- Please confirm that you are aware that changes to the approved budget beyond 10% in any category must be approved in advance.
Do you think this project should be selected for a Conference Grant? Please add your name and rationale for endorsing this project in the list below. Other feedback, questions or concerns from community members are also highly valued, but please post them on the talk page of this proposal.
- Strong support This is the first time the Santali community from India, Bangladesh and Nepal are joining forces to organize an event of this scale. Santali Wikipedia being the first indigenous-language Wikipedia (and the first Wikimedia project) from South Asia to be blessed with such a thriving community and I strongly endorse their grant application. There can be some more discussion on how more value could be brought in to leverage the participation of community members and how other communities can both help and learn from Santali. --Psubhashish (talk) 01:53, 11 September 2019 (UTC)
- Strong support Amazing powerfull team that is I hv felt abt Santali Wikipedia. I hv introduced to this community after its came out from incubator, during 2018-19 they had sucessfully participated in all Indic projects like WWWW, Wiki Loves Women, WAM, SVG translation Campaign etc it was our beyond imagination how they manage all the project with minm resources. Hope to see them in more powerful way. --Sumita Roy Dutta (talk) 15:39, 11 September 2019 (UTC)
- SupportThis community is doing amazing things with very limited resources. I trust they will make the best of this conference! Kritzolina (talk) 18:39, 12 September 2019 (UTC)
- Support --Dolon Prova (talk) 03:23, 16 September 2019 (UTC)
- Support Nawaraj Ghimire (talk) 11:49, 16 October 2019 (UTC)
- Strong support-- A need of the hour conference to promote awareness about Santali Wikipedia, it will be a platform where Wikimedians/Wikipedians from Santali & other communities will come & share their experiences, I would love to be a part of such noble initiative. Rajeeb (talk!) 18:28, 18 December 2019 (UTC)
- Support Santali Wikipedia has a great role to play both in Indian language conservation and also diversity of Wikimedia world. This effort to bring Santali Wikimedians together is much needed and I take this opportunity to support them & congratulate them for this. --Pavan santhosh.s (talk) 06:31, 4 January 2020 (UTC)
- Support Valuable conference. Chinmayee Mishra (talk) 18:08, 2 February 2020 (UTC)
- Strong support --Balajijagadesh (talk) 08:30, 4 February 2020 (UTC)