Grants:Project/Rapid/Editathon Fortezza delle Verrucole
What is the problem you're trying to solve?
What problem are you trying to solve by doing this project? This problem should be small enough that you expect it to be completely or mostly resolved by the end of this project. Remember to review the tutorial for tips on how to answer this question.
In Tuscany we have a gap between the results of Wiki Loves Monument and the coverage of certain topic on Wikipedia. On example is this year's WLM winner.
In addition to that, we have also a very fragmented presence in the local authorities that we are trying to strengthen. Most of our interaction events, such as activities in the libraries or museums and events for OpenStreetMap and Wiki Loves Monuments are quite disperse.
This grant is a way to get a complete deep-level coverage in one specific area to show around.
Since we are a tourist region, we want to propose an approach focused on many different platforms and also language editions.
The photo of Verrucole Castle for example has positioned in fifth place worldwide in the wiki loves monuments 2017 competition. Despite this placement, the article on Wikipedia is still very poor. There are many articles related to the fortress and the municipality that can be expanded. It is quite difficult to find the sources and therefore we need a local bibliography. The page about Verrucole Castle and on the town of San Romano Garfagnana on Wikivoyage is totally missing.
What is your solution?
For the problem you identified in the previous section, briefly describe your how you would like to address this problem. We recognize that there are many ways to solve a problem. We’d like to understand why you chose this particular solution, and why you think it is worth pursuing. Remember to review the tutorial for tips on how to answer this question.
Organize an editathon on the place with expert Wikipedians to consult the sources directly and consult local guides who can help you to fill in the articles.
What are your goals for this project? Your goals should describe the top two or three benefits that will come out of your project. These should be benefits to the Wikimedia projects or Wikimedia communities. They should not be benefits to you individually. Remember to review the tutorial for tips on how to answer this question.
Having an article on Wikipedia about Verrucole Castle worthy of being among the 5 finalists at WLM. Making blue every links and articles related to the monuments. Creating a guide on Wikivoyage. Another purpose is to give value to the competition in order to in the coming years the impact that Wikimedia has had on this municipality, may helping also others institutions join with enthusiasm.
How will you know if you have met your goals?
For each of your goals, we’d like you to answer the following questions:
- During your project, what will you do to achieve this goal? (These are your outputs.)
- Once your project is over, how will it continue to positively impact the Wikimedia community or projects? (These are your outcomes.)
For each of your answers, think about how you will capture this information. Will you capture it with a survey? With a story? Will you measure it with a number? Remember, if you plan to measure a number, you will need to set a numeric target in your proposal (e.g. 45 people, 10 articles, 100 scanned documents). Remember to review the tutorial for tips on how to answer this question.
We want to work on the following articles and groups of articles.
- w:it:Conti Gherardinghi
- w:it:Famiglia dei Guidiccioni
- w:it:Tassa del sale (w:it:Gabella#Gabella sul sale (in realtà per tante voci, che riassume la tassa in uso in toscana e dallo stato pontificio)
- w:it:Francesco Accorsini (uno dei comandanti della fortezza)
- w:it:Inquisizione di Modena Andrebbero ricostruiti precisamente i vari passaggi di proprietà e i restauri effettuati
- w:de:Festung der Verrucole
- w:fr:Forteresse de la verrucole
- w:ro:Cetatea verrucolei
Modification of articles
- w:it:Fortezza delle Verrucole (ampliamento ed eventuale vaglio)
- w:it:San Romano in Garfagnana (ampliamento, in particolare sulla storia)
- w:it:Chiesa di San Lorenzo martire alle Verrucole (origine, datazione e stile)
- w:en:Verrucole Castle
- voy:it:Piazza al Serchio
- voy:it:San Romano in Garfagnana
- voy:it:Provincia di Lucca
- voy:en:San Romano in Garfagnana
After hearing the community, the Amici della Fortezza delle Verrucole (Verrucole Castle's friends) association could suggest documents to be digitized and transcribed.
Open Street Mappatura
On Friday a mapathon for OSM Verrucole Castle, which is poorly mapped (even by proprietary map services), and its surroundings. Data will be gathered using different tools: Mapillary/georeferenced photos, field papers, and GPS tracks. Mapping will include both natural and artificial features, such as historical artefacts and structures. In addition to wikimedia/wikidata/wikimedia_commons key, they will be added tags for expressing historical details (castle_type, tower:type site_type, start_date, tourism, man_made...) as well as geometrical dimension/shapes in order to provide a realistic 3D rendering. Indoor mapping will be experimented.
I will use Dashboard tool to measure the editors number, the created and improved articles, the words added, the number of file uploaded in Commons. Of course, a survey at the end of the event is a good way to hear the participants opinion, to know what works and what we can do better the next time.
Do you have any goals around participation or content?
Are any of your goals related to increasing participation within the Wikimedia movement, or increasing/improving the content on Wikimedia projects? If so, we ask that you look through these three metrics, and include any that are relevant to your project. Please set a numeric target against the metrics, if applicable. Remember to review the tutorial for tips on how to answer this question.
Our first goal is to improve articles in various wiki projects connected to our territory, that can be replicated for any other place/theme. Starting from the monument that wins the 5th place in the international WLM contest, we aim to create the whole history around: 10 new articles in Wikipedia about aristocratic families and the place history (military architecture, taxes etc), 3 articles about other monuments to improve, 3 articles in WikiVoyage, articles in WikiBooks. In more than one language. Our estimate is 10 participants. We are also prepared to present the wiki projects to schools, teaching them about free knowledge, free licenses and how to contribute to Wikimedia projects. The municipality of San Romano is ready to support us with this project and it can bring students from local medium school for our presentation.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. What will you and other organizers spend your time doing? What will you have done at the end of your project? How will you follow-up with people that are involved with your project?
The plan is editathon in 31th May, 1st-3rd June (2nd June in Italy is national day). The date can change.
|2||Friday||Presentation to school students (medium schools of San Romano) of Wikimedia projects|
|2||Saturday||Tour of the Castle|
|2||Saturday||Mapping for OSM|
How you will use the funds you are requesting? List bullet points for each expense. (You can create a table later if needed.) Don’t forget to include a total amount, and update this amount in the Probox at the top of your page too!
This is the budget for 10 people
|N°||Expense type||Description||Number||Unit price||Total Amount (EUR)|
|1||Accommodation||breakfast + lunch + dinner + single room, per night (somebody stays less than 3 nights)||21||62||1302 €|
|2||Travel||Travel tickets or refund travel expenses by car (the expenses beyond 30 €/person average are cofinanced by the participants)||300 €|
|4||Transfers||Organizers Transfers (location survey, bringing participants without cars to excursions or to train station)||80 €|
|1682 €/2000 $|
Community input and participation helps make projects successful. How will you let others in your community know about your project? Why are you targeting a specific audience? How will you engage the community you’re aiming to serve during your project?
I will write about this project in Wikimedia mailing-lists (Italy and Tuscany) and in the discussion pages on the projects.
Please use this section to tell us more about who is working on this project. For each member of the team, please describe any project-related skills, experience, or other background you have that might help contribute to making this idea a success.
- Luca Landucci, I'm a Tuscany coordinator for Wikimedia Italia. I organized in the past just one-day editathons but I joined as participant at GLAM on tour in Monte Verità for an editathon during 4 days.
- Alessandro Marchetti. Active in many grants and wikimedia projects.
- Volunteer Pegasovagante: I have been contributing to Wikimedia projects since 2006; as a member of Wikimedia Italia, I'm responsible for school and university programs in Tuscany. I strongly believe in the development of minor wiki communities, as I am experiencing it on it.Wikiversity, and in «cross-wiki networking» (as I call it) combined with extensive outreach activities.
- Davide Pedalà, I'm a new Wikimedia Italia member, this is my first project. I live in Pisa
- Ettorre: old Wikipedian, since 2003. Blogger, since 2003. In 2004, I organized the first Italian and European conference of wikipedia, in Genoa, European Capital of Culture. I have organized other conferences, over several years. In 2005, I was one of the founders of Wikimedia Italia. Member and coordinator of Liguria for Wikimedia Italia. Passions: culture, arts, music, media, tech, human rights, software, social impact, freedom culture, freedom press. I live in Genoa, where was born. Volunteer .
- Camelia Boban: based in Rome, wikip(m)edian since 2007, WikiDonne UG co-founder, AffCom treasurer, member of WMI, WMSE, WMAR, WMCH, Wikimedia Diversity Ambassador, Gender Gap Task Force Team member. Interested in software, education, photography, I'm almost active on Wikipedia, Commons, Wikidata, Wikiquote, Wikibooks.
Editors at editathon
We have 20 places. The participants will have free accommodations, breakfasts, lunches and dinners. The costs for transfer will be refunded. We close the call 15 days before the event. If the people are more 20 there will be a commision of 5 wikimedians. They will choose the participants based on criteria of experience and proximity to the place of the event
|1||Kaspo||Italian Wikipedia, Italian Wikivoyage|
|3||Camelia||Italian / Romanian / English Wikipedia, Commons, Wikidata, Wikibooks|
|7||LigaDue||Italian Wikipedia, German Wikipedia|
|8||Alexmar983||Italian Wikipedia, French Wikipedia, English Wikipedia|
|9||Pegasovagante||Italian Wikipedia, Italian Wikiversity|
|10||Susanna Giaccai||Italian Wikipedia, Italian Wikisource|
|11||FramaKa||French Wikipedia, translation|
|12||Alessandro Palmas (WMIT)||OpenStreetMap|
|13||DnaX||Italian Wikipedia, Commons, OpenStreetMap|
Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions. You are responsible for notifying relevant communities of your proposal, so that they can help you! Depending on your project, notification may be most appropriate on a Village Pump, talk page, mailing list, etc. Need notification tips?
Do you think this project should be selected for a Project Grant? Please add your name and rationale for endorsing this project below! (Other constructive feedback is welcome on the discussion page).
- Support Cross-wiki works are always welcome, because helps to strengthen sister projects and to improve Wikimedia projects in specific territories (not last helps the minor languages). The school, above all, is the better place to start with wiki. On weekend, if I can help, please consider me as a volunteer. --Camelia (talk) 15:01, 7 February 2018 (UTC)
- Support Great Idea!!! I fully support this Editathon and will be very happy to contribute!!! --Mascha (talk) 18:14, 8 February 2018 (UTC)
- Support I will do my best to do something. Translating in other languages, finding sources on wikisource, contacting users in the areas. I'm in.--Alexmar983 (talk) 12:29, 9 February 2018 (UTC)
- Support I'm supporting this project doing my best, translation from Italian to English, location survey, editing Dap78 (talk) 14:25, 13 February 2018 (UTC)
- Support it's a fantastic appointment with culture.Ettorre, 16:15, 13 February 2018 (UTC)
- Support Will be a great opportunity to discover an amazing piece of history and grow up in editing skills. --DnaX (talk) 15:52, 13 February 2018 (UTC)
- Support objectives are pretty interesting. --Vituzzu (talk) 11:56, 14 February 2018 (UTC)
- Support --Adert (talk) 15:45, 14 February 2018 (UTC)
- Support-- Susanna Giaccai (talk) 09:18, 15 February 2018 (UTC)
- Support-- Manuela Musco (talk
- Support --Sailko (talk)
- Support LigaDue (talk)
- Support Lisabranc (talk) An indispensible way to rediscover one of Italy's hidden treasures.
- SupportJaneawa (talk)
- SupportI think It'll be very interesting! Mariannapetricelli (talk) 15:44, 9 March 2018 (UTC)
- SupportCristian Spadoni (talk)
- Support Slowking4 (talk) 00:18, 12 March 2018 (UTC)
- Support Chiara Nonoranonqui (talk) 09:03, 13 March 2018 (UTC)
- Support Luigi Catalani (talk) 16:53, 13 March 2018 (UTC)
- Support These cross-wiki works are fantastic IMHO, also the idea of a collaboration with the local OSM Mappers group is ok. Good idea! Zaffo80 (talk) 21:02, 13 March 2018 (UTC)
- Support It is a project so well detailed and structured. Colombati (talk) 21:52, 14 March 2018 (UTC)
- Support I think it is a very good idea!!! Assianir (talk) 13:10, 19 March 2018 (UTC)
- Support I like the idea of a cross-wiki working close to the volunteers who work mainly on the sister projects. I want to make OSM map the better for that surroundings. --Alessandro Palmas