Grants:Project/Rapid/Camelia.boban/itWikiCon 2019 guests
Jump to navigation Jump to search
itWikiCon 2019 guests
Invite 4 international guests (leaders of Wikimedia community) at itWikiCon 2019 in Bari and support their travel, room and board expenses for 3 days/nights
targetWikipedia, Wikidata, Commons, Wiki Loves Monuments, Wikisource, OSM, Wikivoyage
start dateMarch 2019
budget (local currency)1765 EUR
budget (USD)2000 USD ()
organization (if applicable)• WikiDonne
Please see the sample Meeting application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Socialize with community members
- Learn from the movement leaders and exchange of experiences with the international community
- Organize a community project
- Recruit new editors
- Increase skills for existing editors
- Improve the wiki presence in the South of Italy
- Collaborate and improve the partnership with the local administration
- Bring WLM to Matera, obtain resolutions to be able to photograph the monuments and release the images in the Commons with free licenses
- What is the purpose of the meeting and why is it important to your community?
- The south of Italy is not well covered by wiki activities: we have less wikipedians, we have less connections with local governance, institutions, universities and other entities. So we want to bring Wikimedia projects here. This year we want to bring itWikiCon (Wikimedia conference for Italian language) 2019 edition in Bari in November, on the South of Italy (district of Puglia), inviting leaders on our movement from countries which, for nearness and history, have connections with the city of Bari (Albania, Greece, countries from ex Jugoslavia, Russia etc). And connect this event, especial for Wiki Loves Monuments, with the city of Matera, which is the European Capital of Culture, an opportunity not to be missed.
- If applicable, what benefits have you seen from doing this kind of meeting in the past?
- itWikiCon was organized in 2017 (in Trento) and 2018 (in Como), and had a good participation. In 2019 we will be hosted by Officina degli esordi (a WikiDonne and Wikimedia Italy partner) and we know the presence of international guests, because of sharing experiences, is an added value.
- How will you let participants know about the meeting?
- In this moment we have Bari's candidacy page, and once the location will be confirmed, we will provide to inform the community on Italian village pump. Is also in programm to print flyers and posters, and an intense use of the own social channels (Facebook, Twitter and Instagram). To be created (for now we use WikiDonne's social channels).
- How will you keep participants engaged after the meeting is over?
- Some members of the community are also members of the project WikiDonne, we have an active project on Italian Wikipedia and we are active on the teritory, we often participate in editathons in other cities. The social media will be a point of information and connection with the community. Some of us and our guests are also involved in different roles into the strategy process, so we will have further meetings/discussion.
- Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- The conference team is composed by Ferdi2005, Fidia 82, Ogoorcs. This year is the United Nations "International Year for the Indigenous Languages" and our connection to Matera 2019 bring us to focus the conference on cultural heritage and diversity (culture, language, gender etc). With the presence of leaders from other wiki communities but without the opprtunity to ask for a conference grant, in a certain sense we consider this as a pilot project in Italian community/conference. It is also a way to test an idea (organisation, our capacity and the efficiency, the harmony of the team etc) we have on a future convention about Mediterranean countries and affiliates, WikiMediterranea 2020.
We contacted and received the interest in participating of members from the following affiliates (usergroups and chapters): Wikimedians of Albanian Language User Group, Amical Wikimedia, Wikimedia Serbia, Wikimedia Community of Tatar language User Group.
Note: In addition to your project-specific measures of success, you will also be asked to report on some Global Metrics at the end of your final report. Please keep this in mind as you plan, and we'll support you as you begin your project.
- We will look into some key metrics:
- As user experience: the first impact will be clear quickly, if people get fun, if is soddisfied and interested on topics, if for them was a good experience.
- As numbers: number of participants (wikimedians involved on the main conference in Bari, non wikimedians engaged in the collateral event in Matera dedicated to WLM, percentage of first time attendees, percentage of repeat participants, people who gain skills
- Diversity: gender of the participants, origin (countries and regions of Italy), affiliation
- Quality and quantity of talks and workshops: variety of topics covered, number of sister projects to talk about
- Final survey: we will create a final survey to test the participant agreement
- Number of total participants: we estimated the presence of about 100 wikimedians
- Number of people who will help organize the event: 6 wikimedians and the team of Officina organizers
Period of the conference: 1-4 November 2019, numbers of people 4
|Number||Description||Quantity||Unit price||Period||Relevant links||Amount|
|1||Flight + hotel option||1||1 round flight + 3 nights hotel (breakfast included)||1||Hotel Cristal (Via G. Trevisani 190 Bari), from Tirana to Bari||260 EUR|
|2||Flight + hotel option||1||1 round flight + 3 nights hotel (breakfast included)||1||Hotel Cristal, from Belgrade to Bari||368 EUR|
|3||Flight + hotel option||1||1 round flight + 3 nights hotel (breakfast included)||1||Hotel Cristal, from Barcelona to Bari||280 EUR|
|4||Flight + hotel option||1||1 round flight + 3 nights hotel (breakfast included)||1||Hotel Cristal, from Kazan to Bari||565 EUR|
|1° Total||1473 EUR|
|5||lunch||1 lunch/day||14 euro||2 days x 4 people||112 EUR|
|6||dinner||1 dinner/evening||15 euro||3 evenings x 4 people||180 EUR|
|2° Total||292 EUR|
|Final Total||1765 EUR|
- This is a great initiative! As far as I've seen in the program, I think that the itWikiCon aims at generating valuable debates for the future of Italian Wikipedia in the south of Italy as well as fostering its relationships with other language editions. All my support! --Marcmiquel (talk) 10:45, 27 January 2019 (UTC)
- Seems like a worthwhile endeavour and the next instalment of what has become a tradition now — itWikiCon. I believe that the event will be successfully organized. This rapid grant seems to add diversity to the event, so I hope it will be even more successful. FiliP ██ 23:01, 12 February 2019 (UTC)
- Thanks to this grant it will be possible to bring to ItWikiCon a plurality of ideas, opinions, theories, innovation thanks to the experience of great Wikimedians from neighboring countries that will benefit everyone. Ferdi2005 (Posta) 22:08, 15 February 2019 (UTC)
- I am one of the first users who strongly suggested to look at the areas/coomunites closer to Bari for invitation, so I support the grant.--Alexmar983 (talk) 23:55, 22 February 2019 (UTC)